False positive for gabapentin

Anything about buprenorphine that doesn't fit somewhere above, fit it here!
tracker17
Power Poster
Power Poster

False positive for gabapentin

Post by tracker17 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:04 am

I haven’t been on here for a long time but had an issue today. I have been on Suboxone for 3 1/2 years and have NEVER had a dirty pee test. This morning the NP asked me if I was taking gabapentin because I showed positive for it on the lab report. I told her I did not even know what that was and I have never taken that. Not sure she believed me so I got pretty pissed She's a very nice person so I didn’t direct it at her I know she is just seeing what is on the paper. Has anyone else had this happen? Is there any other meds that can cause a false positive for gabapentin? I take zoloft , Wellbutrin, nexium, and twynsta( a blood pressure medicine). I also take Benadryl every day for bad allergies. I can’t stand someone accusing me of something I know I didn’t do and don’t want this on my record. Any ideas????

docm2
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Re: False positive for gabapentin

Post by docm2 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:57 pm

Do you know if this was a qualitative or quantitative test? It is unusual to test for gabapentinoids on routine screening.
If quantitative that is a definitive test and pretty hard to refute. If it was just a pee in the cup test that was read at the clinic request that confirmatory testing be done.
here is a helpful link that goes a bit more in to it.

https://walrus.com/questions/what-can-c ... -drug-test

DanOhioAwesome
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by DanOhioAwesome » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:46 am

I had a similar situation happened a few years ago. I peed in the cup and they did the test there at the office. A week and a half later they call me in for a random pee test.(which at the point I hadn't had a random in a couple years). I asked them just out of curiosity what's up with the random? They said it's because my last office visit pee test it tested positive for methadone. I was furious because I know I have never had that never even tried it back when I was still hooked on opiate painkillers. Well it turned out they got the results back after they sent my original pee to an actual lab they just never looked at it before they called me in for the random. It was a false positive and was more than likely the culprit causing me to "fail" because of the NyQuil and ibuprofen I took while I had the flu a week earlier or something like that.
Also on a side note a year ago I kind of made a stink if you will because I noticed our office was kind of packed and pee bottles were kind of getting close to each other. When you get done peeing you put it on this shelf and the lab tech will take it and test it while there was like three or four next to each other and I thought that sure could be an issue if you grab the wrong pee bottle for the wrong person. They looked at me like there's no way mistakes can happen are you crazy? 😂

tracker17
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by tracker17 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:21 pm

You know I never thought about that but at my office we all pee in a cup then put it on a shelf ourselves and sometimes there can be 10 or more up there. It would be very easy to get one confused. They said it was confirmed at the lab but I can see it could be easy to get a cup confused with another. There is only one girl that does everything and we see the dr by webcam in another office. That might explain it. I came home and searched the house for gabapentin just in case I took it by mistake but there is none around here. Mixing up urine makes the most and only reason for this happening. Thanks for the help.