Can someone explain to me the difference between cutting a 8mg film in half as opposed to taking the whole thing at once

What dose of Suboxone do you take? Does your buprenorphine wear off? Do you have opioid withdrawal symptoms?
ZenTrip
Power Poster
Power Poster

Can someone explain to me the difference between cutting a 8mg film in half as opposed to taking the whole thing at once

Post by ZenTrip »

So I’m well aware of the instructions given on the medications packaging. It clearly states not to cut, chew or swallow Suboxone Film.

However, I’m among the huge majority of people on here who cut their films into smaller pieces. Not only does this help with weening/tapering, but also provides us with the opportunity to split the dose throughout the day (just save it for later!)

So my question is, what really is the difference between taking the whole 8mg film compared to cutting it into 4mg piece, taking that and then hours later taking the other 4mg? Or taking 4mg to start off with, and then following that with 2mg and then again another 2mg which would use up the whole strip
rule62

Re: Can someone explain to me the difference between cutting a 8mg film in half as opposed to taking the whole thing at

Post by rule62 »

I would say that the buprenorphine will last longer taken in smaller doses. It seems silly to tell patients not to cut the films but then you have to look at the companies legal obligations. Is there any problem with doing so? No, absolutely not. It is the best way to taper down your dosage. The pills work okay but the films are just easier to cut in very small pieces. I too cut my 2mg film in half as I only take 1mg per day most of the time. I reserve the other half in case my bad neck hurts bad then I take the other half.

Keep doing what you're doing. There is no harm in it. (not a doctor of course :D )
Don't take yourself so damn seriously
Krue
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Can someone explain to me the difference between cutting a 8mg film in half as opposed to taking the whole thing at

Post by Krue »

The issue with cutting any medication that doesn't have a score line in it, is that you cannot guarantee you are getting 1/2 of the actual medication.