How does a short taper subboxone treatment work?

Will methadone and buprenorphine together cause withdrawal? How do I stop precipitated withdrawal? What dose of buprenorphine is best? Do I have to be in withdrawal to start Suboxone?
kkd232
New Poster
New Poster

How does a short taper subboxone treatment work?

Post by kkd232 »

Im currently on day 3 of suboxone after a 5 month oxy stint of 120-150mg a day. I tried to quit before and use suboxone one times and the induction went so smoothly that i went back on oxy after 6 days of subs because i thought that was so easy. I induced subs 14 hours the first time and this time i did the same thing and it was rough. I just got stabilized, but still feel uncomfortable in my skin. I think i went into PW this time because right after i took it, my withdrawals got worse, but i slept for 3 hours and woke up feeling 60%.

I was told by someone if i take subs for 6 days and do a taper such as-- 4mg,4mg,2mg,2mg, 1mg, skip, 1mg i would have a painless withdrawal such as he did for such a "low" and short oxy usage. Is this true? If i do this taper program, at the end of it, I wont feel withdrawals? it sounds too good to be true.

I was also told that after i finish the taper, i will still feel my oxy withdrawals but they are going to be mild, which i find more believable. If this is true, how would my withdrawals be mild? From my understanding, since subs is a different opiate than oxy, I will be withdrawing WHILE on subs, but i wont feel it (because the subs will stop withdraws).

also should i be feeling some withdraw symptoms while im on subs to effectively do this program and come out with mild withdraw? I tried to keep it short, hopefully i can get help to clear this up! im confused.
CEOWASH
New Poster
New Poster

Re: How does a short taper subboxone treatment work?

Post by CEOWASH »

I am interested in the same sort of thing. I have been on Subs for 18 days, have taken 1/4 of what was prescribed as I don't want to feel under the influence.

I did Hydro's and Percocet for quite a few years, but never really went beyond taking 120mg in a day. I was pretty consistent on my dosing 20mg in the AM and 50-70mg at night. If I wanted to feel loaded I would not eat anything 6 hours before and would have a strong drink with the dose.

But I am truly done and feel no desire to return to that life. I blew up my only two connections I knew and I would never take the chance of trying to ask a doc (they never give anything these days in my area), nor would I buy something off the streets as I would be paranoid of getting fentanayl laced pills from Mexico or China.

I am just a wimp about going through withdraws, so wanted a softer easier approach. I dropped yesterday from 4mg to 3mg to tonight about 2.5mg. I am going to give it a few days at this dose and see how I do and then drop from there.

I will watch your post to see what others say. Good luck and I hope it goes well for you, feel free to message me if you are successful with the short taper.
BlueLight
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Post by BlueLight »

kkd232 wrote:Im currently on day 3 of suboxone after a 5 month oxy stint of 120-150mg a day. I tried to quit before and use suboxone one times and the induction went so smoothly that i went back on oxy after 6 days of subs because i thought that was so easy. I induced subs 14 hours the first time and this time i did the same thing and it was rough. I just got stabilized, but still feel uncomfortable in my skin. I think i went into PW this time because right after i took it, my withdrawals got worse, but i slept for 3 hours and woke up feeling 60%.

I was told by someone if i take subs for 6 days and do a taper such as-- 4mg,4mg,2mg,2mg, 1mg, skip, 1mg i would have a painless withdrawal such as he did for such a "low" and short oxy usage. Is this true? If i do this taper program, at the end of it, I wont feel withdrawals? it sounds too good to be true.

I was also told that after i finish the taper, i will still feel my oxy withdrawals but they are going to be mild, which i find more believable. If this is true, how would my withdrawals be mild? From my understanding, since subs is a different opiate than oxy, I will be withdrawing WHILE on subs, but i wont feel it (because the subs will stop withdraws).

also should i be feeling some withdraw symptoms while im on subs to effectively do this program and come out with mild withdraw? I tried to keep it short, hopefully i can get help to clear this up! im confused.
What does your drug and alcohol use and history look like, if I may ask?
docm2
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by docm2 »

I was told by someone if i take subs for 6 days and...
Was that 'someone' also selling unicorn tears as an aphrodisiac?
BlueLight
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Post by BlueLight »

docm2 wrote:
I was told by someone if i take subs for 6 days and...
Was that 'someone' also selling unicorn tears as an aphrodisiac?
Exactly! Unfortunately, OP there are no “easy” solutions for addiction. Quitting isn’t even the hard part. I successfully quit dozens of time, and got several days or a few weeks clean from opiates. I was still drinking. But the quits never lasted long and I was right back to full blown active opiate addiction after a few days.
jennjenn

Post by jennjenn »

Like the others have said, there’s just no quick fix for any of this. If there was a quick way to stop withdrawal and be home free then all of us would be doing it and there really wouldn’t be a problem with addiction like there is. I’m sorry this person told you something that was so untrue but now you know, if you want to try this taper schedule you can but you’re wasting your time.

Why would you even start buprenorphine if you wanted to taper right away? Especially when this treatment really saves lives and has proven to work and help us addicts get our lives bk together again. This is my opinion, it doesn’t matter how long someone has been an addict once you’ve entered that realm of no return on being able to quit on your own..... when you’re powerless to stop on your own. Weather it’s 6 months or a year, your withdrawal is going to feel the same. Imo, the only difference in someone who can’t stop using at 6 months compared to someone who’s been using much longer is that they just haven’t explored other options of quitting. Like myself for example, I was in active addiction for years and I tried inpatient rehab, outpatient counseling, multiple detox’s, cold turkey and then suboxone treatment. I knew that the only thing that worked for me was this treatment because I’d tried everything else. Someone newer to the active addiction world just hasn’t went through all those options yet..... other than that addicted is addicted and regardless of the length of time it is still going to be the same issues and withdrawal. I’m sure you know that but I just wanted to throw my views out there :)

I think you should think about continuing this treatment for at least a year and not be in any rush to taper. That’s what I think would be best for ya. Good luck no matter what you decide to do!
Jennifer
Amy-Work In Progress

Post by Amy-Work In Progress »

I don't mean to be insulting at all, guys, because I realize that you're quite sincere. But research shows that longer term treatment with buprenorphine is much more successful than short term treatment. The evidence shows that any buprenorphine treatment under a year results in relapse rates at the same level as abstinence based treatment, which hovers around 90% relapse. We follow the science around here, and promote longer term treatment with buprenorphine than what you're describing.

That being said, I hope that your plan works out for you! Let us know how it is working out for you.

Amy

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/a ... act/182827

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10. ... 0802585380
Done is better than perfect!
Turbolover1974%
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Turbolover1974% »

It worked fine for me. I went from 8mg to nothing and felt fairly good by day 8 ,and by day #10 I was ok and still no paws I was on it for 14-months and at 12&8mg doses daily. So for me it was good but hey everyone is different.
klasstaffan
New Poster
New Poster

Post by klasstaffan »

using a Suboxone as medication-assisted treatment (MAT) to wean off stronger opioids such as heroin. This method uses Suboxone as a safer and measurable substitute. In these cases, Suboxone treatment is often indefinite because the risk of relapse increases if you stop taking Suboxone. Some people may be on Suboxone for the rest of their lives.
kleinmelody
New Poster
New Poster

Post by kleinmelody »

Hello everybody!
rule62

Post by rule62 »

Well, hello there! A little information goes a long way but lurking is just fine with us. We're a bit low on active members here so please join the forum.

Welcome!
Don't take yourself so damn seriously