It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I used oxycontin for about 10 years until 3 years ago when I got prescribed suboxone. I took 16 mgs a day for 3 years. I'm tired of being dependant on subs to feel normal. I decided to quit cold turkey with the support of my doctors, husband and mother. Today is day 4 and I'm completely shocked because my withdrawals are pretty mild. Everything I've read about sub withdrawal has been from people who tapered and stopped at a low dose. I'm just wondering if there is anyone on here who went cold turkey from a high dose that can share their experience. I feel next to no withdrawal on day 4, is this normal?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:41 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

That's a pretty high dose. I went off 24mg 3 years ago cold turkey and didn't really Feel It until ten to 13 days into it. I'm sure you understand how long the half life of suboxone is. I recently jumped from 1.5 mg and I'm on day 5 with minimal withdrawals (RLS, Insomnia, very tired and up and Down mentally). I would ween down to at least 2mg before jumping. If you can handle it good for you haha. I couldn't imagine jumping from a high dose like that again. GL bud

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum!

Actually it is quite normal for the first few days to not feel much of anything when jumping at such high doses. Because the concentration is still high in your blood levels, and with the very long half life of sub, the worst of any symptoms may not even begin for several days because at 16mgs you should still have plenty in your system to keep you fairly comfortable. Once those levels begin dropping, and more bupe dissapates from your system, you should enter into withdrawal symptoms like most everyone does jumping from high dose amounts. How severe depends on the person as everyone really is different.

I would think that any day now you should begin to feel it. Treat the symptoms as they show up. Hot baths/showers are wonderful. Drink plenty of fluids to help stay hydrated, and to flush toxins out. Stay as busy as possible, getting as much exercise as your physical condition will allow. Music also can be of great help, and there are different supplements available for most symptoms.

There's been a few other here that have also jumped at high doses and hopefully you will hear their experiences soon. I tapered down low myself and had very few problems. I hope this helps and I wish you the very best. Hang in there and be strong. If the symptoms do happen to get so bad you just can't handle them, I guess you could begin taking a much smaller dose and taper down low. After 4 days off you may be able to get stable on perhaps 4-8mg or so and then taper from there. Just a suggestion is all, and another way out if needed.

Good luck!

Karen

Last edited by Brown Eyed Girl on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'd say if you can get past 8 or 9 days with no wd, you'd be in the clear, but that's a big if. As Hope said, Suboxone has a rather long half life and it could still be clearing your system, although I would think you would have felt some kind of wd by now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Don't get me wrong, I definitely do have some withdrawal symptoms. Yesterday I felt worse than I do today. My Dr did give me clonidine to take 1 in morning and 1 at night. Yesterday was the only day so far that I felt I needed it so I took it as he told me to. It did help. I have been sleeping ok, just tossing and turning a lot. I feel so confident that I can get through this. I haven't used drugs in so long, I don't crave it in the least. I don't want to be a slave to suboxone anymore, it's just not an option for me. I have 2 children ages 1 & 3 and I'm just tired of coasting through life. Suboxone may be a life saver for many people, but for me it was a crutch that I KNOW I can live without. I know it's only day 4 for me and that it's going to get worse before it gets better, but I'm feeling great about this. I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Clonidine was the absolute best med I took during my wd. It knocks the wd symptoms down a good peg or two.

16mg is a very high dose to jump from, but if you want it bad enough, you can do it. I jumped from about 8mg of Suboxone 3.5 years ago and I made it. The wd was a bear, but I made it.

I understand you don't crave drugs right now and that's great, but as time goes on, you may find you get some cravings. I was 9.5 months off Suboxone before my first cravings hit and I was totally unprepared for them and I slipped. Just wanted to throw that out there for ya.

Just for clarification, you said you used OC's for 10 years. Did you abuse them as well? Are you an addict or were you just dependent on them?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was never prescribed to OCs, I one hundred percent abused them as well as many other things. I'm a full blown drug addict. My husband and I are both active in 12 step programs. Getting off the subs is just the next step in my recovery plan. I know exactly what you mean about the cravings creeping up on you. I know that is something I will deal with for the rest of my life. For now I'm just trying to prepare myself for the next couple weeks of withdrawal and stay as positive as I can. I'm grateful to hear what you all have to say

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

How ya feeling today?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well my skin started REALLY crawling last night as well as the RLS, but it still was not as bad as I've been expecting. I haven't been able to eat much and my emotions are running pretty high today, but again, I am still in shock that it's not worse. I feel lucky that it's been mild, but I know the worst is yet to come and I'm terrified. My mom lives in a different state and she is watching my kids at her house until I'm done detoxing, it's been 5 days and I miss them terribly. I just had no idea that it would be such a long process. Waiting for the worst to come is killing me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:56 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Some people don't feel it too bad. The most difficult part is the long , drawn out anxiety and depression that comes with dropping a habit like sub. I'm on day 6 which is funny to say, and I have to say its not that bad. I went off at 2mg. The physical symptoms are gone but the emotional surge that you experience while trying to get back into the swing of life while stopping sub is difficult. I'm having a difficult time accepting everything I put my family and friends through 5 years ago. I find myself looking for ways to Catch up with everyone and get stable. I'm 25 years old, and sick of being sick and tired of looking for something else to take away this pain. I can see my mother with clear eyes now and it Kills ME to see how tired she looks. It makes me want to break down and cry. I've never felt such an extreme, dead set goal on succeeding and live a life with a beautiful wife with kids and something for my family to hold on to. I've Never been a depressed person, just an angry selfish guy. I hate myself for my past and need to pray that I will get over this Intense sadness I see all around me. I haven't spoke with my father since '10 when my grandfather died. Sorry for the depressing shit, I guess I'm learning how to feel again Idk. good luck brother

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Suboxone wd is usually not as intense as pain pill or heroin wd. Don't be terrified thinking the bottom is going to all of a sudden drop out.

I'm guessing your symptoms may get a bit worse over the next few days, but again, I don't think they'll all of a sudden slam you.

I see your kids aren't at home right now. During the worst of your wd, that may be a good idea, but we usually tell people to stay busy mentally and physically during wd because it helps a lot. You may want to consider having the kiddo's come home soon to help keep you busy.

@hope, learning to deal with our emotions full on again can be quite the challenge. I know it sent me for a loop many, many times. Learning how to forgive yourself for your past eff-ups is critical, too. None of this shit is easy, but it's most certainly possible.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey RBW,

I'm just now catching up to your thread. I'm really surprized that you aren't feeling any worse than you are, but how freaking cool? If you are going to be surprized by something this is definitely a good one to get, huh?

It's great that you have such a positive attitude about your jump. That seems to be something all the people who report making it through WD from subs with little trouble have in common. If you sit and dwell on how crappy you feel long enough, you are going to feel even crappier! (lol - is crappier even a word???) :roll:

I have to say, you are definitely a brave woman to attempt a jump at such a high dose! But, I think some people just have to do it that way. If you don't have the patience for a long taper then I guess you just have to bite the bullet and do it while the desire is there.

I certainly hope everything continues to go well for you. Keep us updated ok?

Q

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well I'm over half way through day 6. This morning was the worst I've felt. There was about a 6 hour period where I thought maybe I can't do this, maybe I'm not as strong as I think, maybe I'll never get through this... I took a little nap, woke up and went for a drive with my husband. We listened to music, which sounded real for the first time in years, and I actually laughed. Not a drug induced half laugh, but a real laugh. Now I'm back to feeling perfectly confident in that this will get better. I'm excited to feel again. Now more than ever I believe that a positive attitude can get me through anything. I'm 6 days in and there's no turning back.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:46 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Wow, good for you. You are going to have bump here and there. Where you jump from depends on you. I am beginning to think I shoud have jumped earlier. I got down from 24mg to the present 1mg. Honestly, getting from 2 to 1mg has not been fun.

The problem I am having is that I am prolonging the WD period. I am jumping at the end of this week and honestly can't wait.

Every person is different and it sounds like you were ready when you did it. I wish you good luck, stay strong and you will beat this.

Staying positive on the bad days can be difficult but some of our friends here mentioned putting the head phones on and cranking up the music, it does wonders. At least for me, it took my mind off my crappy day.

All the best

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:54 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

The worst of my withdrawls hit on the 4-6 days mark.I do remember by the 2 or 3rd day I thought maybe it's not going to be that bad,so I flushed all my suboxone,then on day 4-6 I got hit with WD's.
I did sleep for I was just exhausted all the time but I woke within seconds.I didn't have any constipation that's for sure.

I suffered most from restless leg syndrome,anxiety and a few other symptoms.

I usually really suffer when I would stop benzos but the last time I just didn't seem to want them was on a low dose so I stopped and I felt reborn.I really hope when I taper and stop suboxone I feel the same way.I truly felt as if I became a new person when I stopped benzos.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well I didn't post for the last two days (day 7 and 8 ) mostly because I was a bit of an emotional/physical wreck. The crazy thing is I feel freakin fantastic today. Sub withdrawal is the strangest withdrawal I have experienced. Even on the two worst days I just kept thinking it could be worse. Sure it's unpleasant, but for those of us who have been through any opiate withdrawal, we should feel relieved that it's not as bad as that! I thought that jumping from 16 mgs was going to be exactly the same as the first time I detoxed from oxycontin, but it just wasn't. My advice to anyone quitting subs would be to prepare yourself for the worst withdrawal of your life, and you will be relieved that it's not as bad as you planned for. If a terrible drug addict such as myself can do it then I'm sure you can too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:41 pm 

Getting through initial withdrawal is tough, but you're managing it! Good for you! You are not the first to say that music sounds more real to you now. That is a nice benefit to having to go through the withdrawal.

I'm wondering what you've changed in the last three years that is going to keep you from potential relapse after the "high" of getting off sub is gone. This is a question we pose to most people who come here for support during a taper or withdrawal off sub. It's not that you owe anyone here an explanation. It's just that the statistics are daunting about relapse after discontinuing sub. It's essential that you have a concrete game plan going forward to keep yourself in recovery. Are you going to participate in any kind of meetings in person or online? How are you setting yourself up for success?

If I sound like a nag that's OK. It's not important for you to like me. It's important that you are thinking about what can keep you successful in this fight against your addiction. Getting off suboxone puts you in a potentially dangerous situation. You need to have a game plan! (You don't want to end up like my poor Broncos!)

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well first of all your Broncos had a terrible game plan haha. Also, I'm a die hard seahawks fan so let me just throw in a go HAWKS! I'm glad you brought up a recovery plan, a lot of people on here seem to be very against AA/NA which is something I feel very strongly about. I believe FOR ME AA/N.A. is the only way to go. I've seen it work miracles for many people, people very close to me. My plan is meetings, sponsor, and the 12 steps. For me, it's not just about being "clean" it's about being happy. The only way for me to do that is to get to the root of my issues and learn how to work through them, which I find easiest to do through a twelve step program.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:26 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey RBW
It sounds like your doing good? How's the Withdrawal Going? .. I'm very curious

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well it's day 10 and it's been a lot of ups and downs for sure. Luckily even the downs are bearable though. The emotions are just now starting to really set in for me, so I'm just trying to keep busy, read, listen to music and pray. I've been able to pull myself out of it by doing those things. Overall it's going well. I read something on someone else's post this morning that said they were still feeling bad even 22 days into it, so that scared me a bit. 30 days seems like a lifetime when you're dealing with these types of emotions.