It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Do some people have to stay on Suboxone for all their life? If so, I would like to know what is wrong with that? No different then any other disease, for example HPB, is it? I have only been on it for 3 weeks but we still haven't been able to find my dosage...The reason being is it makes really really tired, to the point of not being able to function. My sub doc said the suboxone will work but she doesn't guarantee that she will be able to get me off of them. That is scary to me....so that is why I ask what is wrong with having to be on them for life? I will be starting my counseling next week and I am really looking forward to it! I am hoping the counseling will be able to set me free of the Suboxone after a short period of time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There is nothing wrong with it, if it works for you. Some people get off for reasons that pertain to them. If it's working for you and you are comfortable using it for the unforeseeable future, go for it.

Can I ask what dose you're taking that is making you so tired, still?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My doctor started me on 3 daily of the 2-0.5mg sublingual tablets that only lasted 2 days then she dosed me down to 2 a day and now I am taking 1 1/2 daily. But I think I need to go back to the 2 tabs daily, cravings are still there with 1 1/2. They seem to help me better if I take 1 tab in the am, 1/2 tab in the afternoon and sometimes a 1/2 at bed time. I think the sleepyness may be starting to go away. Honestly, I am still pretty confused on how much to take and how often.

"D"

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:41 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I took it for a really long time, there was a time when I used to say "it's a miracle drug", the craving are gone, its great. in reality, I still think its an ok drug in the short term. That being said, the drug had soe serious side effects for me and the withdrawal after all that time was nothing short of hellish. Others that have been on it long term seem to have a similiar view that the longer you are on it, the worse the withdrawals of getting off of it. your mileage may vary, but I sure wish now that I would have suffered through the 1 week of withdrawal from my narcotic of choice vs. the 6 week withdrawal i went through.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Dontpanic.....I have heard that from so many people and I don't understand why withdrawals from Sub are worse then withdrawals from whatever it is that you were addicted to....Can you explain?? I have had the thought in my head since day to not be on it to long. I have no cravings at all but I am sure it is because of the Sub and as soon as I get off the cravings will come back? This whole thing scares the hell out of me~

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I started using suboxone way back in 2003, it made me sleepy but took away the cravings. remember the half life of suboxone is very long vs. other opiates so its going to take longer for it to leave your system. why it seems to take about a week of brutal withdrawal for roughly every year that someone is on it, is beyond my knowledge. I do know for me that it took about 6 weeks before I felt human enough to leave the house and included two trips to the hospital, the last time I pretty much begged for a dose of sub, the hospital didnt have it in the fomulary thankfully. its been 2 years now, during that time the only time I've taken a narcotic is when they had to take my gallbladder out. The fear I have of going through the suboxone withdrawal again was so intense that I had very little problem taking my meds as prescribed and getting off of them as soon as possible.

Your mileage will vary of course, I suspect that most people on here are currently taking suboxone. I know when I was I would hold it up as as nothing short of a miracle drug. in reality it was killing me slowly. for me it caused me to sleep but not go into REM sleep (yep I have sleep tests that show this). in the end I had a hard time telling whether I was asleep or awake, lost most of my teeth (before taking suboxone, hardly had a cavity (this is more related to opiates drying out your mouth and that causing your teeth to rot out)).

Now I suffer significant memory loss and a myriad of other issues, but I am clean and sober. I starting to suspect that there are not many others like me that have been on this drug for a long time and then found the strength to get off of it and stay clean and sober. I also suspect that the pain of withdrawal is one of the things that helps keep me off the drug. but i would really like to find others if they are out there and find out what there experience has been.

Hope that helps