It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:35 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi I've been on Suboxone for bout 6 yrs straight I've been in my current program for bout a year and half my family doc prescribes me adderall for adhd I got called in for a strip count ( I've passed every single strip count 2 btw) and they told me 2 bring my adderall bottle which I wasn't worried they NEVER counted my adhd meds before but I also DONOT keep my adderall on me either well I pass my strip count then they dump out my adderall and start counting them I told the nurse isn't it against the law for u 2 even open my bottle? She didn't reply..well I only had the days dose of adderall in my bottle n they told me 2 bring the rest in I do and they refuse 2 count em and I got from having no strikes at all 2 having 5 in 1 day( the facility I go 2 has a 3 strike rule)well I prove that all strikes are null and void and they will not listen 2 me needless 2 say they kick me out well I find my patients rites handbook and they tell me 2 cum back in I prove their reason 2 be bullshit and they still lying I know I have a malpractice suit but I didn't do a dam thing how is this even fair I'm gonna b so sick the staff gas broken almost every single rule in the patients rights handbook any advice on what I can do I'm gonna be deathly ill over sum illegal bullshit..I've always been compilent there is no reason at all4 me 2 be discharged I'm defiantly speaking with a lawyer in the am I mean I have paper document proving all these "strikes" r nothing but bullshit and made up I just don't wanna go threw these withdrawals I take pride in my recovery..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:31 pm 

Hey Jessmess,

First of all I am sorry that ur doctors office has treated u so unfair. What were the 5 strikes they gave u, what 5 things did they say were the problems? Sounds like they had a target on ur back and were looking for problems. Personally I've never heard of a Dr being able to pill count a medication that was given to u by a different Dr. I wouldn't think that's allowed. My sub Dr doesn't allow his patients to take certain medications prescribed by another Dr if it's a controlled substance that's not allowed, but that doesn't sound like what's the problem in ur situation....they obviously knew u were taking the other meds right? So that doesn't make sense to me why they even wanted to count anything other than ur suboxone. If everything was great with ur sub count then what was their problem? I don't have the answers for ya, I just know how bad ur probably feeling right now.

Can u try to find another Dr asap? I'd look for one and try like hell to find somewhere else before u get to feeling too bad, if that's possible. Some doctors are absolutely great and cares about their patients, and other doctors are just completely unfair and not understanding at all. There's also offices that have completely unreasonable ppl who work in the office and sometimes the Dr doesn't even realize what's going on. I'm not sure which is the problem where u were going, but something definitely needs to be done so this doesn't keep happening to other ppl in the future.

I hope u get some answers and I also hope u get to continue u ur treatment. I hope u can find u another Dr that's understanding and treats u fair. Good luck and keep us posted!! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just a bunch of bullshit the first reason I was getting discharged was diversion then I looked in my handbook and it stated that u can only be discharged for derversion of facility medication then it went from 4 to 5 strikes which I proved ALL to be void.having paperwork to back me up.i think they said 2 missed strip counts which they called the wrong # and there is doc to prove it and they had my real # on file 2 Elliot drug screens for ampthetines which r void I'm prescribed 2 adderall also I have documentation for that and then then counting my adderall script from another doc how is this even right man?

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:02 pm 

I admit that I'm having trouble following this story because I'm old (44) and I rely on some basic punctuation and non text talk when I read. So sorry if I'm not understanding this correctly.

Did your sub doctor know that you were prescribed adderall? In your contract does it state that you can or cannot be on certain medications from other doctors? Have they ever given you crap over the adderall before?

Like Jenn, I didn't know that they could do a pill count on a medication that they don't even prescribe, unless that is in your contract with them. Why do you think they suddenly targeted you? Were there any warning signs?

I'm trying to figure this out in a way that makes sense. Unless of course that there are crazy people at the doctor's office. :)

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes they knew I was prescribed adderall my Suboxone doc was the 1 that wanted me 2 get prescribed I never had a problem cause I'm always complyent because I need Suboxone or I'm sick until my counselor leaves and I get this new counselor she just treated me like a worthless lying POS junkie.she threatened 2 kick me out if I didn't sign a release of records form from my family doc which she didn't need cause they already knew my doc and what I'm prescribed 2 so of course I signed it.she made up a bunch of bullshit 2 get me kicked out cause I didn't like her and she didn't like me after u asked for a counselor change stuff got worse.said I failed 2 strip counts when they called the wrong # because I think she changed my phone # I have documents proving they facility should of had my right phone #.ive passed every count and did everything I was supposed 2.im not the only 1 at the clinic that has problems with her I thought counselors f supposed 2 be there 2 help u this bitch is ruining people's lives she just ruined mine I've been on Suboxone for 6 yrs straight 16 mg or more this is wrong I'm gonna try n sue the ass off of the facility doc EVERYONE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:02 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Also I've been on adderall for bout a year and they never counted them before they acted like they didn't even wanna touch them.im pretty sure this is against the law and no it says they can count my strips not medicine from another doc especially a controlled substance.i cannot find anything about it online u think I should call a lawyer??

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:16 am 

People on power trips should not be addiction counselors!!!!

I swear! I'm on the road to become one myself and if I ever see these types of abuse of power I will try everything in my power to reverse it!

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:36 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

U know most of these counselors have never been addicted or taken Suboxone they DONOT know shit bout withdrawals they just go on what the book says this bitch couldn't find a reason 2 get me kicked out so she made up reasons and me being an addict I didn't even get 2 prove myself I'm callin the corporate office on their asses and I'm gonna call a few lawyers and see what they tell me I'm not the only person this bitch has done this 2 but how I see it it's the doc nurses counselor and the director should go down 2 cause all they had 2 do is look at my file or give me a chance 2 prove myself this isn't over by a long shot.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Lol, Amy, you beat me to it. I was just about to say, someone stole dude's period key. Right or wrong we are often judged by how we communicate and present ourselves to others.

As for calling an attorney, would you have the money to pay him or her? Even so, I'm not sure what damages could be shown here. It's likely best to try to find a different Doctor as I'm willing to bet there is going to be way too much past baggage to unravel with this one. Right now obtaining medication will be more important than expensive legal action.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't like the way so many addiction docs seem to focus on catching irregular behavior, rather than focusing on addiction. With opioid dependence in particular, I believe a doctor is violating the ethics of the profession by throwing a person back into active addiction because that person did something relatively minor.

But these days, throwing people out of treatment is exactly what professional boards, law enforcement, and medical societies are demanding. Frankly, I feel like a voice in the wilderness when I write this stuff.... and I have a hard time understanding why I don't hear other docs saying or writing the same thing.

Doctors are required to keep patients safe, or be held liable. So if I am prescribing an opioid (including buprenorphine, although buprenorphine is one of the safest medications on the planet), I am REQUIRED to know the things about that patient that may interact with opioids. I am required to know if the patient is taking benzos, for example. Wisconsin just passed a law, requiring all docs and pharmacists to check ALL of the controlled substances that the patient takes, from ALL doctors.

If a patient is prescribed benzos by someone else and I prescribe opioids, I am liable for how those meds interact. If a patient takes one xanax tab each day, the risk of harm is low. But if the patient is taking 10 tabs, three times per month, the risk is much higher-- and I would not prescribe opioids in such a case. So if one of my patients wanted opioids in that situation, I might be willing to prescribe them, provided the patient proves he/she is taking the xanax carefully, as prescribed.

I hear the anger-- but understand that medical care is not considered to be 'compartmentalized' by each physician. If a patient comes in with heart failure, the cardiologist is expected to know about the patient's kidney disease-- and would be liable for ignoring the meds that treat kidney function. Is counting adderall crossing the line? Maybe, or maybe now. I can tell you that these days, judges and juries are only going to applaud the doctor who makes it harder to abuse drugs. Beyond that, nobody has a right to demand treatment (except during emergencies or pregnancy, when there are laws requiring ER's to 'stabilize' patients before tossing them out). Likewise, you are not 'required' to see this doctor. The relationship is considered to be voluntary from both sides-- meaning if you don't like the need to count your pills, you have the right to leave the office.... and at the same time, the doctor doesn't have to treat you if he/she doesn't want to (as long as the reason has nothing to do with race, religion, or sexual preferences).

I realize this probably doesn't sit well-- but that's just how it is. I know what withdrawal feels like, so it takes a LOT for me to kick someone out without at least providing a month of medication. But many people would say that makes ME unreasonable-- and that if I have any question about addictive behavior, I have a duty to dump the person. Crazy-- but that's just how it is out there.