It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Your opinion
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi,

It's Queenie. I had my amputation & to be honest the pain is horrible. They had me on the Dilaudid drip, IV. Now they have me on Dilaudid pills, 4mg every six hours.

The pain mgmnt. dr. wanted to put me on Dilaudid & Suboxone. Has anyone ever heard of this??? Sounds crazy to me.

Hope everyone is o.k.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Queenie,

I'm so sorry you're in so much pain.

Ummm, it sounds like your pain management doctor got his license from a box of Cracker Jacks? Personally, I don't think taking Suboxone and Dilaudid is a good idea, especially if you discontinued the Suboxone before the surgery, which I'm assuming you did. If you discontinued Suboxone prior to surgery and start it again now, I was under the impression that would send you into prec. wd?

Now, if you stayed on Suboxone the whole time, then I believe you're going to need very high doses of pain meds to relieve the pain.

Hopefully someone with more experience regarding Suboxone and surgery will be along soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

What an idiot. I knew better than that and had to explain it to him. Unbelieveable.

They are switching me to morphine & Percocet. They don't know what to do with me and the pain. I quit subs 9 days before the surgery.

Queenie loves you.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Queenie, I'm so glad you are OK, but I'm sorry you are in pain. I hope the morphine + percocet is more effective. I'm sure the Sub is out of your system after 12 days (?), but your tolerance is still pretty high I would think.
I hope it helps for you to know I'm thinking of you everyday, and I will pray that your pain subsides. Don't forget to breathe deeply. Sometimes focusing on your breath can ease the tension in your body and your mind.

Things are crazy at my house. My husband got baby chicks while I was away for the week-end and now they're in my living room under a heat lamp! The kids are thrilled but I'm at my wits end. I don't want to raise chickens!
Anyway, I hope you feel better. Keep us posted if you can.
Blessings,
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh my gosh, Queenie! I'm so sorry!! You are too wonderful to be going through this again.

Shit, this is such a huge thing to go through. I really don't even know what to say other than I hope and pray and want so much for you to just feel better. I'm pretty sure taking Sub and Dilaudid is really stupid. Don't take the Sub. You just had an amputation and if that doesn't necessitate full agonist pain meds, then I don't know what does. After my surgery, the drip was wonderful and once they took me off it, the oral meds SUCKED!!!! I don't know what you're going through, but I can try to imagine and it must be nasty. My doc's plan was to have me take Perc and then the strong Dilaudid in between Perc doses. Maybe I shouldn't be saying this, but don't you need something stronger, like Oxycontin? It's hard to get relief after being on Sub, and with something as intense as this, I'd think you'd need to strongest thing they've got for a while. Once it's all under control and you're healed up, you can think about going back on the Sub.

Queenie, please tell us what happens. Please make them get you another opinion and then another if that one is still wrong. Advocate for yourself, Queenie!!!!!!!! I wish I could advocate for you, cause I'd kick their butts into shape. I hope someone is helping you with this!!!

(((((((((HUGS)))))))))))) and PRAYERS!!!!!!!!!

laddertipper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Actually, taking any full agonist with a low dose of suboxone IS an option. Go to the LINKS section and pull up that article/paper about "treating acute pain in sub/methadone" patients. It lists a few different ways to treat acute pain in people on ORT and taking suboxone along with a full agonist - a LOW dose of suboxone - is one of those possibilities. Diary of a Quitter, I believe, has used this option and I'm pretty sure Dr. Junig has also suggested this option. It's on of the best ways to get pain relief and to keep you out of withdrawals.

The article I'm referring to is very easy to read and isn't very long. It has about 7 pages of references and comes from a very reputable source (NIH - National Institutes of Health).

Here - so you don't have to look all around for it - here's the link to the forum post: http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1812.

And here's the link to the article: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... s17732.pdf

If I were you I would print the article out (if you are able) - the reason I say this is that you need to share it with your doctor(s).

I will say this again - what your doctor is suggesting - taking a low dose of sub along with the dilaudid - IS A VERY VALID SUGGESTION!

I hope you can get some relief soon. And I hope you get this reply so you know that you doctor is NOT a quack for suggesting this. I would also suggest that anyone else who hasn't read that article yet read it now, BEFORE you have the need for acute pain management. It's just good to know about this in case you ever have the need for emergent medical care and pain relief.

And since I probably won't be around the forum much for awhile (I popped in here just to reply to this thread), Queenie, PM me if you have any questions on this subject or need anything.) Please take care.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:06 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Dear Queenie....Was wondering how you were doing this far out from surgery now? I'm sorry you had to go thru so much pain and sincerely hope you are doing much better. God's Love to you!

Post subject: fent patch
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:33 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Queenie,

I'd ask about a fentanyl patch. Your tolerance has to be too high for this other stuff to work.... Advocate for yourself like ladder says...its sad we have to teach our doctors how to treat us. It gets old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:07 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Everyone I know who has had to have surgury use fentyl for pain... from what I understand it the best choice for us that have such high tolerance.

I wish you well and comfort.