It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Your opinion...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:13 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I'm very indecisive about something that I'd really like to hear your opinion on. Earlier this month I lost my doctor I've had since I was a teen because I broke the contract of receiving opiates. I was on them for 6-7 years, and I was prescribed 15mg Percocet with a quantity of 270 per month. My doctor called me, I said I couldn't come in (I don't have a car, and they knew that so the excuse seemed legit). The TRUTH is I ate them all within a week, and I didn't have any pills for them to count.
Thats when I finally said, f**k it, I'm going to try Suboxone. And as I've whined about several times already (lol) I can't get in until Oct.18th.
I'm scheduled to see my new doctor Wednesday. Should I ask for a refill to hold me over ? Or tell her my intentions of the treatment and ask for Methadone to hold me over ? Thing is, as I DID become addicted to these things, I WAS taking them for pain, and I've been hurting.
I don't know whether a new doctor will even feel comfortable giving me something seeing as I'm new. But, she'll have my records that show I've been on these things forever. However, I'm also worried the doc might have written something in my charts about the mishap, which I was going to tell her anyway (The "no ride" story, though) ;)
The bottom line is this-If I get on something I won't have the urge to BUY somthing when my neighbor gets his. Every month like clockwork, he sells me 50 15mg percs for $200. As you can imagine, this has put me in serious debt. And seeing as I am weak, I'll buy them BEFORE I think of paying bills and food.
Anyway, back to my question. Will a new doctor prescribe me methadone ? Or will she more likely want to give me the painkillers I've been on ? Or will she just tell me to screw ?
Thanks !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you decide to ask the new doctor for something (and if it were me I would), I'd avoid the methadone. It's much easier to transition from regular pain pills/full agonist to suboxone than it is with methadone. And please don't think of yourself as weak. We have an illness and our brain's have changed....We NEED the opiate. The cravings are real and not something that has to do with strength of character or will power. Please cut yourself some slack. You're in a tough spot right now. You're SO ready to end the cycle of active addiction, yet outside forces are telling you, "sorry dude, you have to wait!". That's gotta be terribly frustrating for you. I know me and I'd be thinking something stupid like - "fine, why bother". (I can be rather self-destructive.) But you've kept your eye on the prize throughout all this and for that I respect the hell out of you.
So hang in there, I know you'll be okay.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:40 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks, hat !! I was scheduled to get my refill 2 weeks ago, so I'm hoping my doc doesn't say, "Well, you've gone THIS long without it.."

Just wondering what doctors think when a new patient asks for painkillers.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Hang in There......
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:15 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi Blue,
Hat is right you need to cut yourself some slack... It is not you calling the shots it is your addiction and the pills! That being said... you are in a tough spot! I would think the Dr. would realize that you have been on a constant dose of Opiates and if he is any kind of Dr. would not expect to do without..... Its Chemistry 101 Your Body NEEDS Opiates it makes no difference at this point whether you do or Not... If I were you I would be up front with the Doc. Tell him your plans for Recovery and the timing etc. ... The Dr. SHOULD work with you to keep you stable until your Treatment? Oh Well that's my $.02 on it!!! Whatever you decide I hope you continue to contribute to the Forum. Your story can & will help more people than you realize!.. Hang in there and I wish you the Best in Recovery........

God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:58 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Just got back from my new doc. She not only wouldn't refill my prescription for Percocet, but wouldn't refill my Valium,Trazodone, and Zoloft because she considers those "mental health drugs" and should be prescribed by a therapist. So, needless to say, I will no longer see her. Why ? She can't give me prescriptions !!
NOW I'm in a mad dash to find a new doctor to get my refills. I'm so screwed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i have no idea where u r from but im from central illinois, i have had a very similar problem as u and unfortunetly every new doctor i have either tried to "shmooge" for meds or even been straight up with, landed up prescribing me blood pressure meds (i dont have high blood pressure btw) or something silly like that. of course these meds are very in effective for me at least. new drs, in my experience, have felt like im simply drug seeking. once i felt that a confession to my dr may help, i found that they prescribed 10 darvocet, ( i was taking 90mg. of oxy 4x a day) to use to basically ween myself off of eveything. he informed me that he would not prescribe me any narcotics after that. so needless to say i had 20 oxys in my pocket 30 minutes after leaving that drs office. i have been addicted to opiates for 20 years and everytime ive ever gone to a new dr to either score or ask for help, has never given me anything but more stress, and eventually the pharmacy or doctors have used their "super powers" and found out and called it doctor hopping. ive found that in the mind of at least the doctors ive had experience with, whether it be for help or other reasons, have just concluded that i am "drug seeking". believe me when i say this, i pray for u that there is a doctor near u that will genuinely understand and help you out. and in fact you may not find that you have similar experiences as i have had. and that i hope for you. stay strong and dont give up. there is help out there for you, someone WILL care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:20 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I'm sorry everyone, but I've kinda lost hope on everything. I'm so aggravated I no longer care to even start the Suboxone treatment anymore. Not really thinking straight tonight. I wish all of you the best with everything and thank you for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:43 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hey blue im new to this too, i have stopped for over a month now, and my husband just left me but i am not going to stop trying! please dont give up and try to keep talking to these nice people here they know alot more than us and they are that hand out to us that we need right now. i will not give up on trying to get suboxone, its going to be about the same for me as you, its hard for me to find and the dr.s that i can get it from are far away, but i have had three of these tablets and i know they are worth it, they really work! please move mountains to get it, and i will try to do the same!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Mickey is right, blue, please don't give up. I know it's hard and it's frustrating and it sucks. Remember how hard you worked to get your drug of choice? Isn't it worth working just has hard for your recovery/remission? It's SO worth it...It's your life after all - and we only have one. At the very least, please, please, please - stick around here. Vent to us, talk about how you feel...It can only help. Feel free to PM me if there's anything I can help you with. We care about you.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree with Hatmaker510, blue. I know it's difficult and frustrating and you're feeling like crap and like nothing is ever going to work out, but if you just try to channel some of that frustration into finding a doctor to prescribe you suboxone, you will eventually find someone.

Besides, you don't have anything to lose by sticking around here. None of us are going to beat you up about using. We all know we could easily be in your shoes right now.

Please stay, and keep trying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:33 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

To the original poster,
Get whatever you can in the way of painkillers if you have to and have some one hold them.Have that person dispense you enough per day so you don't get sick and get on Suboxone fast!

I have done this for me and I 've also successfully held pills for my mom while I was on Suboxone.Can you imagine?That's how good this medicine can work.

GL and hang in there.Things will be fine,
Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:37 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

To Blue, is how I wanted it but I didn't look at your name before posting.Sorry.

Get better my friend!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

" but wouldn't refill my Valium,Trazodone, and Zoloft because she considers those "mental health drugs" and should be prescribed by a therapist"

Then why did the stupid doc give them to you in the first place? I feel your pain and frustration. You can
have a seizure from abrupt w/d from benzodiazepines. How long have you been taking Valium?

The only thing I can do it tell you what has worked for me and others in the past. Kratom
in the mean-time. It really does work if you can get the dose right, and it's safe and IMO
not really as addictive as some say. 10x less addictive than oxycodone.

I stayed off of everything waiting for an appt. with nothing but Kratom
in the past month. I was smiling toward the sky when I finally got my first Kratom
buzz. I was soooo happy to not be sick, and it's not illegal in US and is very
available.

I tossed it out on the way back from my last Subutex induction because I won't
be needing it but it's a savior if you're in a pinch!

I don't recommend it though, but thats just cuz I don't make recommendations :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:07 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Please don't give up! I know you feel terrible, and I understand why. Just do what you have to to get yourself through this awful crap you have to go through right now. Your appointment is just right around the corner- you have the right mindset here, and you deserve to be in treatment, and to better yourself. Just try to keep your head up, and hopefully that stupid doctor that cut your off your benzos gets fired, because that IS causing harm to a patient, as as person CAN suffer life threatening complications from sudden cessation of benzos. What a jerk. I hope that we hear from you soon. Please let us know if there's anything that we can do to help you! I sent you a PM with my email address, so if you need to, please email me!