It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:16 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My 22-year old son has just slow tapered down from 12 mgs to about .25ish, to off for 5 days and feeling okay. It was difficult to accurately dose at the end since he was dealing with the 8 mg pills that are oddly shaped and tend to crumble when split.

I am extremely happy at what Suboxone has helped my son to accomplish. He is laughing again, and his eyes are genuinely smiling with his grin. He is off the horrible, life-stealing oxys and the tough-to-get-off suboxone.

My beef is with the prescribing practices. My understanding is that the pills come in a 2 mg strength as well, so I do not understand why the doctor did not prescribe the 2 mgs when Sean was tapering. The liquid taper seemed too "druggie" to my son, so he split crumbs up for weeks. He was told to jump off at 2 mgs and that he'd feel bad for 5-11 days, the worst being the 5th. He was prescribed a little klonopin for the anxiety.

Now, my son detoxed at my house. I'm an RN, and the withdrawal signs were real and classic. His pupils are still huge and his back hurts on and off. The bowel issues, skin crawlies, some restless leg. And this is off about a tenth of the dose his sub doc had casually told him to jump off. Sean had been on Sub almost a year.

Why are those low-dose patches, .02, or something, not approved by the fda? This would have been such a help, and not encourage druggie behavior like razor blading slices off of prescription pills.

I plan to email Sean's doctor, who my son genuinely likes and respects. I couldn't be happier with the result today, and I hope it all keeps going this well from here on in. However, I feel so many patients must relapse, with sub or a full-on opiate, when they are feeling that bad and desperate, and feeling the withdrawal symptoms that I saw in my kid. I still feel sick thinking about it, and I feel there is a more humane way to go about this!
/rant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi meethinks -

You're not the first person to broach this subject. I don't see why your son's doctor didn't prescribe the 2 mg pills to him. And of course there should be doses available in less than 2 mg. The problem, I believe, is a widespread misunderstanding in parts of the medical community that there is little to no withdrawal when stopping suboxone. I suppose that misunderstanding extends to the manufacturer as well. A Suboxone new strip/film just came out that allows for better measuring of smaller doses when tapering, but still only comes in doses as low as 2 mg.

I hope your son continues to do well. Good luck!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:19 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have just posted today, today is day 6 for me. I too have back pain, very bad back pain, but always have. I was diagnosed with scoliosis of my lumbar at 12, & here recently I have lost feeling of my skin on my upper back, but it hurts under my skin. Anyways, did he suffer from back pain prior, or is this part of the withdrawals? My doctor would not give me 2mgs, even though I asked a million times. 8mgs is too difficult to cut down from, I stopped taking them at 4mgs, which is half of the 8mg. I feel like I have a mild cold, my back hurts like crazy, but other than that I am GOOD! No, not good, great, if this is all it is. Tomorrow is 7 days! I am so proud of you as a mother to do what you have to help your son. My mother in law is addicted to Oxy's & we share the same house b/c she quit working. She made almost $200,000 a year, no joke, and lost it all due to pills. I have tried to get her on suboxone, but she goes into a temper tantrum like one of my kids would throw...but she is in her 50's! Most would think living in a house with an addict would make me relapse, I can barely stand the sight of her, when I know she's in the bathroom snorting a oxy, I remember being that desperate, and it truly sickens me. Her husband pretends it's not happening, which has been a cycle in this family for years with all types of addiction! Point being, the docs that prescribe Suboxone are reeling us in, & letting us thrash in the water, they want the money. And unfortunately, only us addicts, can take the hook out...it will hurt a bit, but we won't die! Best of luck to your entire family...let your son know there are many of us going through the exact same thing. It can't hurt forever!
Lindsay

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:29 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Meethinks,

WOW you are a amazing mother and I give you the up-most respect for sticking by your son through this awfull disease. When I think of everything I put my family through it scares the hell out of me. I can only pray I will/would be there for my children the way you have been for your son. I would like to think that I would?

Please let your son know that he is not alone and to keep up the good work, I have to believe it will be worth it for US in the long run! Thank you for sharing your story with us and please keep us posted :D

Lindsey,

Welcome this forumn! 6 days off of 4mgs and your doing pretty good!!!!! That gives me so much hope :idea:

I can relate a little as far as having family who are addicted to opiates who is living with you. I live with my parents and 2 children and both my parents are still using :x I wish I could say I handle this situation as well as you but I don't. Some days I can see the discust and other days {most} I find myself enveying there every move. I really think its a huge problem for me and I'm having a lot of trouble getting past it. I am hoping to move in Febuary and that things will be a little easier for me? Again congratulations and please keep us posted :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:23 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I will tell you why your doc didn't prescribe the 2 mg's....because almost all doctors are totally ignorant about Suboxone and how to use and prescribe it. This board, my own research, and listening to my body and mind is how I got off and have stayed off for more than 4 months now.