It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just for information sake.... Im making this thread to follow my story of low testosterone being 23 and on suboxone.

They took blood and found that my testosterone was only 92!!! Low is around 200 at the low end!!!

So I am posting because I'm going into the doctors tonight for my shot. I will let you know how it goes for those young guys out there on this stuff.

MovieMaker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:25 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Wow! I've heard about suboxone lowering testosterone but that seems like an extreme case. Does it vary day by day? How do they measure something like testosterone?

People on suboxone seem to be just about always lose some of their testosterone but how much varies from person to person and once that person gets off of suboxone their testosterone recoups. This is just something I’ve read over and over on these forums so you're certainly not the only one.

What made you get tested, did you notice some changes in your life or something? I am just curious to know whether or not I should consider to get tested.

Post subject: my 2 cents
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:48 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Chronic opioid use can cause low testosterone. Several sub patients are receiving testosterone replacement but the low levels predated induction. NOW they feel better, and willing to do something about their health.
Symptoms can include; loss of libido, weight change (increase), hair change, moobs, depression, lack of energy.
I think Dr. J has a blog entry about this as well.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

testosterone levels don't change do to meds my doc said only if any one has a so called illness that may effect the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Johnboy..... Wrong....

Anywaysssssssssss. I got tested because I had read something about opiates lowering testosterone and I had all the checklist symptoms. Just felt tired all the time, unmotivated, bleak outlook, and no sex drive.

After the 3rd injection yesterday.... It's been 2 weeks.... And I feel better than I ever have!

I think it was low for a long long time. Like beginning of my opiate addiction. Lol.

I recommend all men on sub get tested!

You can have a better life.... Without having to risk relapse and giving up suboxone. Don't be guilted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So glad I found this thread. My sex drvie is the lowest it's ever been! My poor girlfriend thinks it's her and it's totally me. I need to get my T tested ASAP. I just don't want all the DR's bills that go along with it :(

MovieMaker - good to hear it has helped you! Did you go to a primary care Dr for this? Did your sub Dr point you in the right direction? where to start? thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks man.

I just asked my PCP about it and she helped.

The only thing I haven't brought up to her yet is staying on it as long as I'm on suboxone. That's a must. Or else you'll go back to where you were.

It's great though.

Started using young and have never felt like this!

I highly recommend it. Injection not patch/gel!

Post subject: Testosterone
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm in the same boat. I'm 33 yr and have been on suboxone for almost two years. I had all the symptoms also. My doc put me on 200mg Testosterone Cypionate every two weeks and it has worked like a charm. Go get tested. You will be glad you did!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

People on opiates complaining about low sex drives, being unmotivated, and feeling tired????? Really?!!! My guess and experience is that the low T predates the suboxone use and is either related to the opiate use that got us here or age. I had low T related to years of steroid use but it was easily corrected with some meds-better living through chemistry, I guess. Sadly T replacement meds are more expensive than subs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:58 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

its definately the opiates...i had ZERO sex drive and ther symptoms of low T throughout my active opiate addiction...but since starting sub, my T recouped on its own...thank God...but i am only on 8 mg...so i would conclude it is something that is from opiates in general - and maybe it will continue if you are on a higher dose of sub..or maybe it just varies from guy to guy (whether it continues after starting sub or not)...good topic for men though, as im sure every single male opiate addict experiences this.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Moviemaker1, I have been on subs for 5 years and found out my testosterone was low about 2 years in. So, I have been on testosterone therapy along with subs for 3 years now and I can tell you this. It is wonderful to get your libido, energy level and all the benefits testosterone offers. However, I need to warn you of the negatives associated with testosterone replacement. At first I felt like you, it was the best thing in the world after being without my sex drive for so long and finally finding a solution. Then I got married and my wife and I were excited to have children. So, we started trying and for six months we tried and tried. It just wasn't happening. So, we went to the fertility doc thinking it was my wife because I have a 13 year old from a previous marriage. So, it couldn't be me. Wrong! My sperm count was zero. The doc then proceeds to tell me how testosterone shuts down your natural sperm production. The original doc that prescribed the testosterone never told me about that and I failed to do any research on the subject so now I'm stuck. There is treatment available to boost sperm production again and I went through it to no avail. It's no fun. Anyway I just wish someone was around to give me this advice and for anyone who is thinking about taking testosterone due to suboxone. It works great as a male birth control. It's a vicious cycle. Suboxone lowers sex drive. Testosterone gives it back, but has a price. The only way to get your sex drive back and stay fertile is to get off suboxone. This is my experience and I've found long term suboxone use to have far more negative effects than positive.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:51 am 
New Poster
New Poster

My boyfriend who is 31, has issues with his libido while on subutex. Like it takes him 1 hour or more to ejaculate, during sex.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

rblchld wrote:
My boyfriend who is 31, has issues with his libido while on subutex. Like it takes him 1 hour or more to ejaculate, during sex.

It's frustrating for him, as I can relate....

But... (I gotta say it)..

You got an hour to enjoy "things"....

My wife and I are discovering that getting old sucks....and we aren't really that old. But we've had a very active 'career' in the bedroom.. (4 kids later).

At first it was just me. Usually it starts when I doze off before we get a chance to ...have any fun...and she has to wake me up. Generally this happens when the kids won't go to sleep (or, mainly our youngest ..she's 5 and usually sleeps with us initially. After she falls asleep she is put in her bed).
If I can't stay awake until the 5 year-old passes out, then I'm usually in trouble.
Usually she won't bother waking me up, but from time to time I will be able to finish what we start...
If I stay awake, I'm OK ...no problems.

But, she's been on some thyroid meds for about a year now..along with antidepressants.
So, she's found out what medication can do when it comes to the "big finish"...
She's had some problems on her 'end' of things..not being able to.

I told her right after she started the medication that I could tell something was different. I don't want to go into the details of it, but I've been with the same woman for 20 years (married 19 years June 6, together 20 years July 18..) Minus an 8 month period where I thought I found my online true love and we separated ...but we got back together and tore up the divorce papers...

So, in that 20 years, I know what her ...I know how ...
I don't know exactly how to put this..
(without being overly dramatic which may be TMI for many)..

Ok.. Vagisil or whatever is that soap women use to make their PH and all stay normal...
and to help with feminine odor..
I was accustomed to her ...before the medicine.
After she started the thyroid medicine, something about her PH changed.

I hope everyone can gather what I'm trying to say...

(I could just be blunt...but for now I'll not do that. Maybe a couple hints?)
Like, when you're going DOWNtown...
Can you SMELL...what the rock is cooking?
"eating at the Y"....

At least now we both realize how frustrating it can be...but we have fun trying...

I had my T levels checked a couple years ago and didn't need any replacement. And I was warned about the negatives that come with using T replacement...so I chose to just deal with the obvious -- I'm getting older...and maybe because I'm nearly 40, I just don't have the urge to 'get it' every night..sometimes twice a night....

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:15 am 

I got a weird one from BCBS a few weeks ago. Right after starting Suboxone in 2010 I mentioned to my doctor that my libido was low. Got tested and yep, it was around 235. It should be somewhere between 350-800. (I think) Testosterone fixed it but every year my insurance company wants proof that I still need it so I stop taking it, get a blood test that shows it low and then they approve it again for a year. (not blaming Suboxone. All opiates are to blame)

But this year they didn't approve it. Why? They stated that until I was checked out by a Cardiologist for heart disease they wouldn't do the approval. Did some research on it and the jury is still out. One study showed some slight heart problems then a newer one said that the patients heart disease actually declined. So where did Blue Cross/BS get their information. I showed the letter to my Cardiologist and it's the first time he's seen anything like it.

Bottom line. I'm getting an Echo Stress Test (treadmill) with a sonogram next week. Had the same test in 2010 and it was fine. Same with a PET scan two years old showing normal heart disease of a man of my age.

So I'll update this thread once I know more. This is the first I've heard of heart disease being related to testosterone. Maybe I didn't read the right articles being that there are so many out there. My worries have been more about Prostrate cancer.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:11 pm 

Jonathan, you're so funny! Lol! I wonder if flavored lube would solve the problem of new scents and taste. Have you tried it?

When my husband had prostate cancer last year, before they did the radiation treatments, they gave him shots to wipe out his testosterone. I am thinking that low T could actually slow down any prostate cancer. But low T is definitely difficult on a relationship. My husband didn't come near me for 9 months. It made me realize that when we don't have sex that I get no affection of any kind. Very disheartening.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm not bothered by what the meds have caused...I just know it's different.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:01 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My libido went non existent immediately after starting suboxone. I am afraid to get on TRT because it is just like taking opiates. It stops your body from producing it's natural test (HPTA-->GONADS) and the longer you're on it the harder it is for your body to start producing it's own test again. It's like taking one drug to counteract the effects of another drug.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:32 pm 

There is another way to go called Bioidentical hormone replacement therapy. My wife's doctor has her on it for the female hormones but she swears she can help me too and get me off the testosterone gel.

I've had no problems with the gel. And when I stop taking it my body kicks right back in and does its job. So no, Seeker11, the human body will bounce back and do its thing if you stop. Or should I say at least with me it did.

I've no opinion on the Bioidentical method but I will go see her and see if it works. It's a plant based therapy vs replacement testosterone.

It appears that this thread, like many others, will continue on for eternity.