It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm kind of thinking the pharmicist is just trying to help or maybe doesn't understand how Suboxone is different from other opiates but everytime I go to get a script filled she always asks (with other people behind me that can hear of course) "Are you sure you want all of these filled at once? You are aware they can be addictive?" I've started trying to find funny ways to respond and not be a jerk. One time I told her as a drug addict that I probably wouldn't be able to take only the reccomended dose if there was a way of abusing them (in my experience there hasn't ever been such a thing as "controlled using" I'm sure others can identify) It's like she doesn't understand the ceiling effect. It's just frustrating having her always treating me like I'm not to be trusted with a whole 30 days supply of Suboxone at one time even though in the last 2 and 1/2 years I'd sure think I've proven that when the disease is being treated correctly I'm just like any other person. I don't see her asking anyone else if they'd like their whole script at once she knows I have insurance and that I don't need the script broken up for financial reasons. I've never tried to have refills filled early, my dog has never eaten my script, all scripts have been filled when I was out of the previous. I dunno maybe she thinks she's being helpful or something so I shouldn't be upset. I'm just tired of people always putting labels on us whether we're using or not and tired of a pharmicist thinking she knows better than me or my addictionologist what's good for me.

Post subject: Insurance or cash?
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Do you have insurance or pay cash? A friend of mine who pays cash for his Suboxone (due to lack of insurance) gets only what he can afford at the time. Some pharmacies allow this and some don't (as far as I understand). Perhaps there are other people at that particular pharm who do what my friend does and that's the pharmacist's motivation? Just a thought. But if she's asking whether you want them all at once followed by "you are aware they can be addictive" then who the hell knows what her motivation is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just got back from another Dr.'s appt asked if I could get script filled at a different pharmacy and told him what was going on he said that would be fine so I changed from Walgreens to CVS tech there seems alot less judgemental :D Maybe there's just a problems Walgreens, I think I've even heard others talk about having problems there too

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Thats a good thing
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I used to go to the hospital to fill my suboxone. They were very rude to me and treated me 'like a junkie'. Maybe I was just paranoid. But this was the same place that used to fill my oxycodone and they never batted an eye.

Walgreens wasn't much better though, but luckily my insurance changed and I was able to just get it once a month instead of once a week (I was paying cash for the sub in the beginning, and only got a week at a time).

Honestly, I can't believe they said that to you! If you want to have some fun with it, tell The Angry Pharmacist at http://theangrypharmacist.com. He has a post about Suboxone and that he himself doesn't judge people by what they take. Here, I'll paste it because you might find it quite funny!

Quote:
Quote:
I LOVE your blog! It’s the only “personal” blog that I bother to read. I’m not a pharmacist, but my, uh, passion? for medicine has led to the nickname “Walgreens” from some friends and coworkers… :-/
Alright, here’s my question… what do pharmacists think about people who have a buprenorphine script? I’ve never felt akward or self-concious about picking up a script until I got Suboxone. I feel like they look at me and just think, “Fuckin junkie,” and maybe even dig thru my history in the computer to see what else I could be up to. What about methadone? Is there any less judgement with it because it could be for legitimate pain?

Clearly I can’t speak for all the pharmacists out there, but if you came in to me with the Rx and I saw that it was Suboxone, I would clearly run around the pharmacy yelling “JUNKIE” while waving my hands around and throwing things at you. Then I call the police and say that you stole things to support your junkie ways..
… Or maybe not …
Unless you wanted something filled early, threw a tantrum in the pharmacy, or bugged me 100 times a day to get something filled when it was not due, I wouldn’t even give your Rx a second look or thought. I might think to myself “Shit, I hope I can dispense this whole bottle of Suboxone to her. I dont want this stuff on my shelves taking up space when I get 1 rx/month for it”.
We’re pharmacists, we are used to things like this. We work with controlled narcotics for a living. Coming in with an Rx for Suboxone isn’t really a big deal to us. Obviously if you don’t give us any grief, are on time and actually take an active stance in your care you don’t even blip on our radar (we are too busy getting screamed at by the person behind you about why we wont fill her soma early).
This would be like us thinking “FUCKING FATTIE PIG” for someone bringing in an Rx for some Actos or Glyburide or any other diabetes medication, “BAD MOTHER” for someone bringing in an Rx for lice medication for their children, “WHORE” for Plan-B or 1gm Zithromax, “DONT TOUCH ME” for Valtrex, the list could go on and on and on. We’re more mature than that (sometimes).

Quote:
I’d really like to hear what you have to say about it. And just for the record, I think bupe is a wonderful drug and has helped me tremedously. I used opiates for about two years recreationally, about 8-10 months daily use, and slid into IV use about two months before I was found out and went to rehab & put on maintenence. It takes away 95% of my cravings and I don’t think I could have stayed without it.

I’ve gone to a few CE’s about it and I think that its magical as well. Its helped a ton of people get back on track and go on with their lives. It seems like its done you well too. Best of luck

You might want to send him an email for kicks and see what he has to say about it. By the way thats a funny blog to visit.

--Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

LoL :lol:
I particularly enjoyed the Valtrex joke.
Ah herpies, just like glitter, once you get it on you it's never going away :!:
The pharmacist that was being judgemental was younger so I'm wondering if she just has a lack of life experience or something. I shouldn't let it bother me. Just seemed silly to treat someone like that. I got a good laugh out of your reply though at least :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey, might as well laugh about it right?

Pharmacists piss me off. I never did anything 'wrong' by any means before and they'd give me issues. I never filled early, etc. Once I got an oxy script in addition to the one I had from the same doctor (for breakthrough) and they pissed and moaned about it. I finally was able to get it paying cash. I guess he couldn't read 'Breakthrough' on the script. I even told him to look at it. I guess he had no idea what that word even meant.

Think the lack of pharmacist knowledge is bad? Go tell a few doctors you're on Suboxone and they give you a blank stare.. I told him "Its a partial opiate agonist/antagonist"... more blank stare... "its remotely like methadone is used for"... "oooooh"

Read more of that guy.. do a search for 'vicodin' or 'soma' on his blog. He has a lot of funny stories about that one. He says he fields calls all day about early refills, "I'm going on vacation", "I had a death in the family". Heres another thing from his site:

Quote:
Now, onto the people who take dope to cope(tm). I realize that the holidays are a tough time for some. The loss of family or family not being there is hard. However there comes a point where that becomes an excuse to just get more pain pills. To be honest, I have heard all of the stories/bullshit over the years to fill up 10 websites from people who lie through their teeth to get their zone-out-candy early to either ride the holidays out via a chemically induced slump or to sell to afford xmas presents (or stuff their turkey with vicodin and soma). I realize that waiting in line for Walmart at 2am so you can trample someone to death requires a little somethin-somethin to get you going, but please dont bitch at me due to your lack of planning.

Yeah, he's kind of harsh! Here is another one:

Quote:
This is a note that I get paperclipped by my clerks to an Rx on a somehwhat daily basis. Gee, what other med would this person ever need when he/she is getting vicodin and soma?

For your information (and morbid curiosity), the “other med” was some lisinopril. A whopping $6 worth of medication and although will not give the “buzz” that the vicodin and soma cocktail will give you, will obviously prolong your meaningless life.

I don’t even know why I put up with crap like this. However at least this was only blood pressure medications and not antibiotics (or their child’s asthma medication). If you want to screw yourself over by loading up on pain pills thats fine, however don’t subject your kids to your dependence and problems.

When I was in pain management and waiting to see the doctor, I'd be in the exam room and I could hear the phone calls. You should have heard the things patients were saying to get meds early it was hilarious, well, not really funny but at the time it kind of was. One time they were sqawking about calling the police so I asked the nurse why, and he told me "We just dropped a patient and he's outside the clinic trying to buy pain medication from other patients who leave". Smart move bozo, thats gonna work!

When I started Suboxone I told the doctor "the pharmacy treats me like a f*cking junkie, and its expensive". He said "We will get you preapproval, then you only have to deal with them once a month". I just felt that I deserved to be treated with respect, I didn't do anything wrong to warrant being treated that way you know? At walgreens, the guy sneered when he handed me my script, and I looked him in the eye and told him "Just because its suboxone doesn't really tell you why I am taking it, or what kind of person I am, so don't judge me without really knowing anything about me". He was kind of shocked and from then forward they were very nice to me. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Now that you don't have to go to that Walgreens anymore, I would be tempted to write a letter to the boss or home office about your patient confidentiality rights being violated every time the pharmacist announced your medication! I would also consider sending a note to the state pharmacy board-- they often have a place on the internet to file complaints. But then again, I don't get along with anybody!

Along that line, James, your little pic of the fat family guy is disgusting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ok, changed it.. I thought it was funny but in retrospect maybe not.. This will do until I find an animated pancreas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:53 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've had only one problem with a pharmacist (Walgreens) who thought he could treat me like dirt because the prescription was for Suboxone. Maybe he had done it and got away clean in the past. But this time he made a mistake... he didn't know me. But he does now. After I finished with him, he now approaches me with his hat in his hand, and we get along fine these days when I go inside.

Never respect people who disrespect you, allow yourself to be treated in a manner that you do not treat others, or beat yourself down over what someone says or does. Doing that only insures that it will continue. Once these people learn you don't tolerate abuse, they will stop abusing you.

And from what I've seen of their own behavior regarding controlled substance abuse, the pharmacy people shouldn't be so judgemental. My state even has a special program for addicted pharmacy workers, and in the past I've had to count my pills because I often came up short despite the pharmacy's internal double-count.

If it will help, you have to know the "buttons" to push on pharmacists. Pharmacists have their own little pockets of neurosis. They like to think of themselves as "medical doctors" (as the pharmacist above incorrectly "reminded" me at first)... real professionals in patient management. But, they learn quickly that unlike physicians, they don't really get to exercise their private latitude to any real degree. Much of what they do involves simple clerical things like answering the phone, operating the cash register, stuffing bottles, minding the drivethru, not having a secretary, etc., etc. etc. They can only dump so much on the Pharmtechs. They really work in a service industry rather than a medical profession because their employers are in the retail service business, and few chances to be self-important arise, or even to be promoted. Also, many of them really wanted to attend medical school, but didn't, and that causes stress. When you see a pharmacist trying to throw his (feather) weight around, you know you have one. The fact that you bring a presecription for suboxone automatically makes you a target of their frustrations.

In my case above he threated to call my doctor. I replied that I don't make phonecalls, but write letters... to the pharmacy manager, Walgreens Corporate offfice, and the state pharmacy board. He will listen to that.

Post subject: Re: Insurance or cash?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:14 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

FINALLY sick & tired wrote:
Do you have insurance or pay cash? A friend of mine who pays cash for his Suboxone (due to lack of insurance) gets only what he can afford at the time. Some pharmacies allow this and some don't (as far as I understand). Perhaps there are other people at that particular pharm who do what my friend does and that's the pharmacist's motivation? Just a thought. But if she's asking whether you want them all at once followed by "you are aware they can be addictive" then who the hell knows what her motivation is.

I have a 30 day supply with a refill. But I only get 10 pills at a time because of cost. 10 pills cost $63.36!! If I filled the whole thing it would be over $700
A lot of people do the same thing as me.
That's MAYBE why they are asking if you want them all or just a few.

But... that added comment "You know these are addictive" would piss me off.

One time a pharm tech pretty much yelled out my medication for everyone to hear. I asked to speak to the Manager who happened to be the head pharmacist. Needless to say... it NEVER happened again!

You have to remember that you're not a criminal; you're not trying to fill a script EARLY....and you're not forging scripts here. This is YOUR medication. You don't need to kiss their ass. A lot of them get their ass kissed and it blows up their ego!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Here is another option for filling your Suboxone prescriptions- Most insurers offer a mail order pharmacy program where you can submit your prescriptions and have them mailed to you either monthly or quarterly.

In my case, my insurer (Humana) offers a mail order pharmacy program for maintenance medications (including Suboxone) where your doc writes a script for 90 days worth of a medication. They mail you the medication for no charge and you only pay a co-pay for 2 months worth of the medication instead of 3 months worth. For example, I normally pay $12 for a month's supply of a brand name drug and $7 for a generic med. So, if I walk in to my local pharmacy every month for Suboxone I end up paying $36 in copays for 3 months worth vs. submitting a script for mail order only costs $24 and I don't have to bother with going to the pharmacy, it arrives at my house-- and I am all set for the next three months.

Now, there are some things to consider if you are going to use mail order for Suboxone (or any other med):

1) Not all insurance companies offer, or allow you to fill your rx's via mail order. Always call your insurance company first before sending any prescription in!

2) If you do not have insurance, the cash price of Suboxone (at least right now as a name brand), is almost $1,000. So, unless you have that kind of cash to spend at once, don't bother using mail order. (FYI Payment is required upfront before any meds are dispensed- whether it is a copay of $1 or a cash payment of $1,000 the mail order pharmacy will NOT send out any med's without being paid first- and they do not do partial fills so you can't send in a script for 90 days and ask them to send you a 30 day supply)

3) Different rules apply depending on the controlled substance class of the medication you order: Here are the basics-
- ALL C-II Drugs: Must MAIL in the original paper script to the pharmacy. No refills. No fax or phone scripts allowed. The pharmacy must receive the original script within 30 days of the date the script was written. If you wait any longer, you will have to repeat the whole process again. Any C-II drug will need to be sent to you via Express Mail AND needs to be signed for by an adult at the time of delivery. They will not just leave a box of C-II drugs on your doorstep. Also, do not take a 90 day prescription for a C-II drug to a local pharmacy. In most states, when filling a C-II drug in person- you are limited to a 30 day supply at a time. They will not fill a 90 day script at your local drugstore and most will not even accept a 90 day script and give you a "partial fill" for a 30 day supply. Remember, we're talking about the most restricted class of drugs here so the rules are not very flexible when it comes to filling or dispensing these drugs. Always make a copy of your prescription and send it via certified mail when mailing it to the pharmacy. That way if there is any chance that they rx is lost in the mail you have proof that you mailed it and you will have proof that the rx was signed for when the pharmacy received it.

- CIII, C-IV, C-V Drugs (This includes Suboxone): Rx can be mailed, faxed, or called in by your doc. You are allowed to have only one refill on these classes of drugs as the refills are only valid for 6 months. So, the first fill is good for 3 months, and the refill is good for the remaining 3 months. Like the C-II's you will have to sign for the rx at delivery and most local pharmacies will not fill a 90 day supply (although there is no law against this, most pharmacists still will refuse to fill it in person).

-Regular Prescriptions (non-controlled)- Can be mailed, faxed, or called in by your doc. You are allowed to have 3 refills on non-controlled prescriptions. You are allowed a total of a years worth of fills. No signature is required for delivery of your medication, but why take the chance- try to be home on the day your meds are being delivered. No one wants to have their prescription stolen.

4) *Don't expect your doctor to provide you with a 90 day supply of a medication, unless you have been their patient for a long time and you have proven yourself to be trustworthy. Most doctors are not going to give you a 90 day prescription for your first rx of Suboxone.

Hope this helps some of you who hate going to the pharmacy every month!