Yes 76%  76%  [ 22 ]
No 24%  24%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 29
 Post subject: Do you smoke ciggies?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm a smoker.

I especially love the cigareete straight after my dose of suboxone.

Then after I have my dose, I swear I smoke more! Weird hey.

Anyone else have the same experience?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I smoke, too, and I also smoke after I dose. But for me, I know I do it to try to get rid of the taste of the pills. Otherwise, I still smoke the same amount as I did before I started my sub treatment.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah, I smoke too. For me, opiates make a cigarette taste like heaven! I thought I was one of the only ones who felt that way.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

No, I don't but I used to. I quit four years ago, but two years ago, I had one puff off a mad one and threw up, which was a blessing in disguise. :D

laddertipper

Post subject: LOL me too.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:47 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Yes I am a smoker too.

I also smoke after taking my sub to get that taste out!

I do feel like I am smoking more since starting sub.

Post subject: smoking and opiates
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:33 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

yeah, I thought it was 'common knowledge" that for some reason opiates make smoking really enjoyable. It's not a great combo though, if you get into the habit of nodding off while smoking, like I did, and I ended up setting fire to my bed not once but twice. Pretty extremely embarrassing but it's true. As for smoking on sub--I don't think I found that sub changed my smoking habits at all or that it made me want to smoke more like other opiates would, but i did used to smoke while taking my dose and/or right after. Then i heard that smoking could make it harder to absorb the sub because of constricting blood vessels or something and that to get better absorption you shouldn't smoke while or for a while after dosing. (Don't quote me on that, it's just something I heard on the forum and I cannot remember how the reason was described for certain, that is, if was, smoking causes constricted blood vessels or some other reason). Anyway, I was a heavy (2-pack-a -day American spirits) smoker for longer than I like to admit (that is, about 30 years) and I finally quit with the help of CHantix. I am seriously happy about that--I didn't think I'd ever be able to quit smoking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:26 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm with Romeo; opiates make a cigarette taste like heaven. It's pretty much the only thing about bupe that is the same for me as a full agonist opiate. I've actually been smoking more since I started treatment which sucks because it's lousy for my health and it's become damn expensive (I actually support the taxation but still bitch about paying 6 bucks for a pack of cigarettes).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

annabella65 wrote:
I'm with Romeo; opiates make a cigarette taste like heaven. It's pretty much the only thing about bupe that is the same for me as a full agonist opiate. I've actually been smoking more since I started treatment which sucks because it's lousy for my health and it's become damn expensive (I actually support the taxation but still bitch about paying 6 bucks for a pack of cigarettes).

Don't complain about 6 bucks a pack. Our country's alcohol & tobacco is now so heavily taxed that we pay 15$!!! a pack, and our dollar is stronger than the US at the moment. But people are still smoking, of course. More people are switching to roll-your-own every day. It's almost become the cool thing to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yikes, reading all this stuff about smoking is really making me want a cigarette. Marlboro 100's, please.

laddertipper

Post subject: I Quit
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:03 pm 

I am surprised so many here still smoke. Maybe because I'm in California where you just don't see as often.

Used to smoke though. About three years after getting sober from alcohol I quit my beloved ciggies. A long hard battle but I won it out in the end. But then, like a complete fool, 10 years later I started chewing Nicorette gum. It was perfect! A little buzz and no worry about lung cancer, etc. But low and behold, it affected my blood pressure so bad I was on medication for almost 10 years. It wasn't until the day I was inducted with Sub that they found out my heart was skipping a beat and even on the blood pressure medication my pressure was really high. They sent me to a Cardiologist for the stress test and it came out fine. The only thing they could think of was to tell me to stop chewing the gum, which I did. It was very hard. When I did the math, I was chewing the equivalent of smoking over two packs a day. Once I stopped, no more blood pressure medication. Go figure.

So that is something else to think about as you get older. Cancer is one thing, my heart would have given out first.

Do I miss it? No.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yeah, I smoke too.
It's interesting though, when I don't take my dose for one day, or do as taper, I actually smoke less 'cause it tastes horrible. Quite the opposite when I'm on 2mg or more. Then I loove to smoke, more then usual. On my current dose 0.5mg, I'm relatively ok. It's proportional I think, the higher the dose, the more I smoke.
And I like to smoke after I dose. I see that's a common habit among lots of ppl.
But hey, it's waaay better then to burn my pants, couch etc. with my cigarette while nodding off. God I hate to think about those days..... The memory on my couch and pants remains though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:05 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Oh my god Tearjerker $15 a pack for real? What country do you live in? I used to say, only half joking, "when it gets to be $10 a pack I'll quit for sure!" but I wasn't really sure I would. somehow, no matter what, I've always been able to come up with the money for smokes. I just want to mention again that chantix was what finally worked for me. It still wasn't totally easy and it took me months, but i was on sub the whole time and , I'm sorry to say, had some relapses on my DOC too during that time. but i was able to first get down to only a couple of cigarettes a day and finally to only a couple of cigarettes a week to a couple a month to...at this point i really feel I can say I'm quit ..and I'm done with the chantix too. I heard that a lot of doctors are reluctant to prescribe it to people with a history of depression because of fear of suicidal thoughts occurring or getting worse...but I had zero problem with anything like that despite my long history of depression. The chantix really made the cravings so much more manageable. However, I promise that I'll never become one of those nazi-nonsmokers. so far, being around people who smoke doesn't bother me except SOMETIMES makes me want to bum one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:14 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Count me in as a smoker. While on oxy, I would stand in the garage (no smoking in the house) and chain smoke. Like others, something about being on opiates and smoking go hand in hand. I also have various burn marks in various places from nodding off and dropping them. Oh well. Now I smoke when I take my sub dose, but don't chain smoke like when on oxy. I often have mental debates about which is harder to quit - opiates or nicotine. I'm going to try Chantix as I promised the kids I'd quit on Easter. I have no problem with Chantix as replacement, as my life seems to be one replacement after another LOL.

Post subject: chantix
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:16 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Note that chantix is not nicotine replacement, it actually blocks nicotine. According to the directions you can smoke for the first week that you're on chantix.....so think of this--you are actually detoxing from the nicotine while you're still smoking!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:02 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Varenicline (Chantix) is a nicotinic receptor partial agonist.

Kind of like bupe, right? I'd consider it replacement. Semantics maybe.

Post subject: point taken
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:52 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Oops, no, not semantics, my mistake. Jimmy's right, chantix is a nicotinic receptor partial agonist, indeed similar to buprenorphine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Autononymous, I'm from Australia. $15 bucks a pack would be about the average cost for a deck from your local 7-11. You might be able to get $1.50 off from a smoke-mart or something.

And yes, it has reduced the number of smokers, which was its intention. One of my family's friends was the head legal council for my state of Victoria and about 7-8 years ago he told me they'd fmade a timeline where they would make smoking progressively more expensive and ban it from public spaces with an end goal of stigma & criminalisation of tobacco in 20-30 years! This is already well on the way.

Today however, the hardcore smokers remain. People with mental illness especially seem to struggle to quit. They made hospitals & detoxes - including psych wards - completely no smoking areas only to find the nurses were dealing with very violent patients, so they've made some exceptions in these departments.

I tried the Chantix (we call it Champix) once, but stopped taking it when I felt like I was going a bit manic / charlie sheenic...

Post subject: dont smoke much
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:00 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I normally smoke a menthol in the morning and one in the afternoon. Since i started suboxone 4 days ago i havent at all. The one cigarette i did smoke made my stomach tumble and I felt quite ill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:27 am 
I know this is an old thread but still interesting:

Nicotine linked to pleasurable feelings

By ADAM NAGOURNEY

Why is it so hard to quit smoking cigarettes? One reason may be that nicotine acts on the same brain system in humans as heroin and morphine, a new study has found.
Earlier studies in animals had found that that nicotine could set off the release of brain chemicals called opioids, which play a role in suppressing pain and causing pleasurable feelings. The new study is the first to establish that the same process occurs in people, the researchers said.

To prove that opioids were involved, the researchers first had to figure out a way to use positron emission tomography or PET scanners to measure opioid brain activity. They also had to persuade officials at the University of Michigan to waive the no-smoking rules and allow their volunteers to smoke in the hospital's scanner. (They solved the problem by figuring out a way to vent the smoke outside.)

The study, led by David J. Scott, a graduate student, found that smokers appeared to have an increased flow of opioids in the brain all the time. After they smoked a cigarette, there was even more opioid activity in the parts of the brain involved in emotion and desire. The findings were presented recently at a meeting of the Society for Neuroscience.

Scott said that he had expected to confirm the nicotine-opioid link, but that it was more pronounced that he had thought. He also said there was no question that the nicotine was responsible, since the volunteers were given both regular cigarettes and nicotine-free ones.

"What we're seeing is purely the pharmacological action of the nicotine," he said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

See there, I knew I was getting something out of smoking. LOL. Thanks for posting that. Quite interesting.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.