It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So the other day in group at the methadone clinic the counselor was talking about if you choose to end your treatment and what directions you can go and suboxone was brought up. She said something very interesting and I had to bring it to the forum to see what you guys have to say. She said “I fell fucking sorry for people on Suboxone they are all the scientist and Doctors little expirements and they have no idea what long term sub use can have on the body or what harm and that it was brought to the public way to quick which is why she said we are ginny pigs lol” And she did not leave out methadone she said the same thing about methadone and we still dont have all the facts but it has been around so long they have pretty much all the knowledge they need on it per say lol after long long drawn out studies with heroin addicts at methadone clinics. Pretty much you were paid to be in the program this was doen about 10 years ago I for got where but Ill try to find out more information for you guys.

Anyways just wanted to hear your thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

man"" thats were i got that yo yo feeling on the emotion thread . i could'nt make up my mind if i was going to switch to methadone. now i'm thinking about meth again. oh hell maybe ibogaine. i'm ageing on subs. or duzztimefly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

No, I don't feel like a guinea pig in the least. Although Suboxone as we know it (with naloxone and used to treat opiate dependence) is still considered by some to be fairly new, the main ingredient in it, buprenorphine, has been around for decades and is a very safe medication. For some reason, people seem to forget this. I feel pretty damn safe taking it and continuing to take it.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

People also seem to forget - or maybe they just don't know - that pretty much every drug that is approved by the FDA, so in other words ALL prescription medication in the US, is only studied in the short-term when they do the studies for the approval process.

Antidepressants are a great example. When they do the studies to determine the safety and efficacy of a new antidepressant medication, the study participants will usually only be on the medication for 6 or maybe 12 weeks. That's pretty much standard, but most of the time people will stay on these medications for much longer than that. Years even, yet the FDA does not require the pharma companies to collect any long-term data about the safety or the side effects.

And here's another thing to think about - when drugs are studied they are usually studied in isolation. The study participant will likely only be on one medication during the study, or maybe two. Now think about how many of us have been on multiple drug cocktails in our lives. Take me for instance - I take a pill for depression, one for migraines, one for thyroid, one for edema, and in the past I've taken another migraine drug, an anxiety medication, a muscle relaxant...you get the picture.

Do you think anyone is studying the risks of taking all of these pills together? Ha ha, no they are not. They really can't, but doctors will continue to do poly-pharmacy because that's how our healthcare system works.

So yeah, we are all pretty much guinea pigs for someone, and Reckitt, the maker of Suboxone, is hardly the worst offender. As Hat pointed out, buprenorphine has a long history of safe use as a pain medication and Suboxone has been in use for like 9 years now, so it's not like nothing is known about these medications. Of course some things are not going to be known about a medication until it is used in a widespread fashion and Reckitt has been responsive to some of the information that they discovered - like they lowered their dosing guidelines when it became obvious that most people don't need more than 16mgs a day. Hopefully they will also respond to the need for tapering doses soon.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

But I do see why someone would say that about Suboxone I mean we really don’t have a good idea on what the long-term effects and use of SUB have on the body physically or mentally. I think a perfect example is my thread does your Suboxone make you emotionless! It seems 60% of us all have had issues with Suboxone affecting our mood and that is not mentioned on any information guide for suboxone. Along with mouth sores and so much more stuff as to why I feel like I was a ginny pig of a lab rat because the majority of side effects I got from Sub were not on the medication packet I got each time I picked up my script, not in any of the information guides I was giving at my induction or even on EX;wikepedia or the majority of the internet sites let along suboxone own website. And it is scary to think how many people are given this medication a day knowing that we don’t have anything close to all the knowledge on Suboxone that we should.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:10 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Buprenorphine is a semi-synthetic opioid made from thebaine, which is an opiate alkaloid from a poppy i.e. from nature. It is not some concoction " they" whipped up in some clandestine lab. People have reactions-allergic and otherwise- with a wide variety of medications, both prescribed and otc. Just my input for the day. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Bboy, I'm curious about that 60% number you quoted. Where did that come from? Is there a citation you can provide us with? One can't obtain accurate, scientific information based solely on anecdotal evidence, especially when coming from a very small group.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

suboxone is much safer than methodone, done was made only to get people off the streets and so people would not steel old lady perses, i know many that addicts that get it just to get high, or nod out, i know many addicts that never get off of it and get stuck on 250mg does, that is just insane, i think suboxone is much safer and your counclor doesent want you guys to get onto suboxone. 9year study is good, it's been out longer than that in a different form. weve all experimented with drugs, at least this one helps us with our lives, so we can live normally and function. Id rather experment with this one get off of it and be done with the experiment scence