It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:00 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I think alot of people are over estimating the ability to cease taking suboxone. If you ever been in withdrawal from anything else, this pales in comparison. I was taking 16mgs/day, stopped on a dime, today is the 5th day, and yeah its a little annoying but nothing thats gonna incapacitate you. I read about alot of people going down to .5 because of the fear of withdrawal, but i can assure you your not in for anything out of control when you stop. I think the 3rd day was prolly the most annoying because I was yawning every 20 seconds and my eyes kept watering up lol but thats it. If Im able to get online right now and make a post to a forum, reread it, revise it, it says alot. During any real type of withdrawal, I wouldn't have the patience to wait for the computers startup chime before I moved. Im able to sleep, sit still in a chair, and even relax. If you've been taking 2mg/day for any extended period of time I promise your in the clear. I challenge anyone to tell me that withdrawal from suboxone was unbearable. Please reply so I can call you a pussy. lol just kidding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:22 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

well it's not horrible, especially if you taper off of it.. but ive gone cold turkey with other opiates and it blew pretty hard.. though I got down to around .25 a day real quick taper from 2mg, down to .25 in about 13 days and last day was Friday.. today is day 2 almost day 3 and not feeling horrible.. and since the low dose I know the half life would just eat it down to nothing id notice.

Though been taking clonidine for the hot flashes, because those blow.. I have tomorrow off as well, so by Tuesday that will be day 4 and i'm sure i'll be feeling a lot better.

So question... Did how long were you on subs, I saw you were at one time at 16mg... I never went over 4mg in a day.

I also had about an 30-50mg a day OXY habit or maybe 15mg of methadone / trade off and on.. ya know.. then last couple months did no more then 4mg of sub a day and then last couple weeks dropped way down. I do agree the WD is way easier then others, but then again I had cold turkey from a 60-80mg a day habit, nothing too much, but again I never liked going to far, because I know what WDs are about...

Anyways, its nice to see positive posts like yours, but you gotta remember everyone is differnt...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:54 pm 
Hi Scott....glad you're doing well. Thanks for posting your experiences thus far in going off Suboxone. It's encouraging to have someone come along and say that stopping the medication may not be as big a deal as it's feared to be. Of course, everyone is different and what has been easy for you may not be so easy for another.
It would be helpful if you could let us know how long you had been on Sub and maybe why you decided to stop it, especially at such a high dose (16mg/day if I read correctly?)
Since you are having an easy time of it so far, I would love to know what sorts of efforts you have made in your recovery that have led you to this point of being ready/willing/able to go off Sub. And maybe what type of relapse prevention plan you have in mind for the future.
I ask, somewhat selfishly, for my own reference. Having been on Sub for 7 or so months myself and down to 3-4mg/day, I wonder at what point I will feel confident enough to plan and make the "jump off" myself. Also, I think you could certainly help others here as well with your story.
On a less positive note....I have to wonder if you are truly in the clear of any significant withdrawal symptoms at this point. I have heard reports of w/d symptoms not setting in for as much as a full week off Sub, especially when stopping it at higher doses. I am not a scientist by any stretch....but if I grasp much of an understanding of the way this works, with the very long half-life of bupe and the very gradual process of it clearing the system (especially after daily dosing at 16mg/day for perhaps many weeks), it could theoretically take beyond your 5 days for the levels of bupe to hit bottom.
I do think one's mental state and expectations plays in a good deal and you may indeed be in the clear of anything significant in terms of feeling horrendous w/d symptoms. I really do hope so.
Please, please, please come back and let us know how the days go for you over the next week or so at least. I know if you're like most of us here, anything you can do to help us out as we all go through this, you'll be willing to do.
Certainly, letting us know that there is hope in coming off Suboxone with minimal difficulty is awesome of you!
Wishing you the best as you go forward!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:47 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Scott:

Id like to have an update from you.. you sounded like you were braving the storm pretty well.. but then again if you jumped off at 16.. the half every 36 hours would be half... so I'm thinking why you feel pretty good is because you still have about 1mg of sub in your body still on the 5th day.

So i'm curious after a few days how you really will feel...

Overall my wd has been pretty painless, only annoying part so far is the lack of sleep... but I knew that was gonna happen.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:04 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

actually, hey everyone. its day 5 3:51 am, and after day 4 was pure hell, it wasnt THAT bad. of course. i am cheating here. which is the catch. i take 8 mg of klonopin, 20 mg of prozac and 50 mg of seroquel per day. the klonopin ive been on for 10 years so it ist much of a factor in helping with suboxone withdrawls. i feel ok right now, im not sweating, not shaking, i am just a little tired and bored. i was taking 8-12 mg bupes everyday for at least the past year. went to detox after i ran out of suboxone and got busted with percocets instead. so they detoxed me off percs, and then the detox facility cut me off 4 mg's of suboxone and told me i would be fine in a week. so, its early am day 5 and so far i guess, im in withdrawl but NOTHING AND I MEAN NOTHING from full blown oxy w/d's. i was in full blown death withdrawl from suboxone but i still was able to go see my addiction LICSW and talk to him. and that was the worst withdrawl day ive had yet. so im assuming if i am not withdrawing bad now. i mean, is that it? days 3 and 4 sucked. but maybe it isnt as bad as i thought after hearing 3 weeks and up in withdrawl. again though i take other meds.
which i think may be the secret. most any doc will give you a benzo like ativan, klonopin, xanax etc, but i must warn you, bezodiazapenes are no joke. you DONT stop benzo's. anyway thats my 2 cents. different strokes for different folks.
i have asked many many forum boards elsewhere on how long i will be in withdrawl and no one really gave me an answer, as my question still remains. DOES ANY DOCTOR KNOW! HOW LONG!>?>?! jesus someone on onother suboxone board i was on said it took them almost a month and a half to get back to normal what the FUCK!? are you kidding me? it would be easier to just go through a gung ho full opiate withdrawl for 5 days as opposed to 5 WEEKS.

this of course after being discharged from detox on a 4 mg suboxone shutoff and they telling me i would be fine in a week so i am at a loss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:29 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hey fella who wants the challenge. yea i kinda agree with you it isnt THAT bad to withdrawl from subs. (marines is my codename because they kick your ass and are Bitch to get in and out of) submarines lol anyways. im on day 5 like i said above 4 18 am and this is not withdrawl how i feel right now.
i again clarify i was taking at LEAST 8 mgs and usually 12 mg of subs sometime 16 mg's for over a year after 3 years on oxycontin and perc's one and half 80 mg oxycontin a day to 4 or 5 30 mg percocets depended on what i could get. i first took a 1/4 of a 8 mg suboxone like i said a year and a little longer ago and magically i was like holy shit everything went from all out opiate withdrawl to NO withdrawls in about 20 minutes. thats after a 3 year opiate habit. 2 mg of suboxone lasted me 2 days at least.

i dont know if because its so early or if i really am coming out of the darkness but suboxone withdrawl does suck, but i can assure all of you, its not as bad. TAPER TAPER. is all i can say, im still trying to find a doctor to continue with suboxone after care since detox wouldnt give me any suboxone after a 5 day in patient detox on suboxone, ended at 4 mg's and they sent me home with nothing because of how much klonopin i was on. like i said, in a week i would be fine. im not sure what fine is but right now i am not shaking or sweating. sure my legs hurt a little and im awake but this is pussy compared to full withdrawl.

a lot depends on the person too. compare to me. im 220 pounds, 6 foot with a good amount of body fat and ive been off 8-12 mg suboxone used for at least year and half and its day 5 with nothing and here i am typing pretty fast, comfortable.
have faith yall. i wish i could help more on anyone wondering how long it will take but if you want to know, ask and i will respond and let you know how ive been coping. i know i know the klonopin, but ive been on that shit for 10 years at this level so my tolerance to it is WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY more than some of you who dont take a benzodiazapene xanax ativan etc. i recommend it to help because i know some of you are in hell now. it all depends i think a lot on will power, support and what other withdrawls youve experienced in the past. if youve never really felt drug withdrawl then yea, suboxone withdrawl will feel like hell, but its nothing compared to a full opiate withdrawl (oxy's etc)
sorry i ramble but im bored and praying to god i stay feeling like this for hopefully into tomorrow and it gets better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:47 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

actually kiss my ass, withdrawl from suboxone does suck. your the lucky one i guess. dunno what your secret is. withdrawl, IT COMES BACK then goes away over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over andoverandover andover and over and over andover andover andover andover and over and over and over

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:12 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey matt:

Congrats on your road to recovery... sounds like you're doing pretty dang awesome too!

I'm on day 5... got 5 hours of sleep last night.. was amazing.. though used ambien to assist in my sleep, but before that hadnt touched it.. so I was pretty happy when I woke up to my gf alarm going off at 5:15... and last time I remembered it was about 11:30pm... so yeah...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:58 am 
Mattyk - I wanted to welcome you to the forum and tell you that I'm sorry for what you are going through. It's sounds like life has been kinda crazy for you for a little while!
I know you don't feel good right now at all, but when you feel up to it, I'd love to know how you had done when you were on Suboxone exclusively. If I read right - you were okay on Subs for a good while, then ran out and relapsed on oxys, went to detox and back on Sub very briefly then taken off and sent home....is that right? No wonder you don't feel so good!
I wanted to point out to you that the poster who was challenging everyone about the ease of stopping Sub hasn't posted an update in ~48 hours. He may indeed be feeling just as shitty as you are. Everyone is very different when it comes to coming off Sub....there are so many factors that play into how bad and how long the withdrawals last. Ask 10 different people....get 10 different answers. I certainly don't have the answer for you as I haven't tried to get off the medication yet. I have a feeling, based on the reading I've done, that it is NO walk in the park at all for ANYONE who has not done the appropriate work in recovery and who has not done a very long, slow taper down to tiny amounts of Suboxone (less than 1mg/day.) So far, anyone who has said it's not a problem has either not truly hit withdrawals yet or relapses to their former drug of choice within a very short time. I've said it before and I'll say it again.....No one is 'special' when it comes to this, no one gets a free pass or an easy or short course to opiate-free living....it just aint happening!
Matty, hang in there. Do yourself a favor and try and find a new Suboxone doctor. I think you're going to need some help. You've already relapsed at least once that we know about based on what you've said so far. You may need longer term Sub therapy and I'm sure you'll admit you need more recovery work (don't we all!)
Thanks for sharing with us here...keep posting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

set me free and gubu thank you guys for talking to me. i need it sooo bad as i am alone, scared, lonley, and on the end of day 5. 5 22 pm and im in withdrawl pretty bad right now. this morning around 330 am i was ok. so its up and down. gubu, thanks man. thank you both for the welcome i feel like im home. event though i am in very bad shape right now.

anyways, hey setmefree. yes i was taking an 80 and half of oxycontin (snortin) also a little heroin for good measure, took 4 -6 30 mg percs a day. THEN i was givin a 2 mg suboxone and WHAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i literaly was in withdrawl from all that for 2 days and freind gave me some suboxone it was literally a miracle. i ended up soley taking suboxone off the street from a guy 20 bucks a pill, so 100 bucks a week i managed to kick everything. heroin, oxy;s, percs all of it just with ONE 8 mg sub suboxone. (i broke of a 1/4 at work when i first took suboxone, afraid i was gonna get worse. so for the past year and a half i was perfect on the suboxone. i was working, problem was i was buying WAAAY to much suboxone to keep me clean. i was taking almost 12 mgs of it with no supervision. i really only needed like 4 mgs or 2 mgs' (whicH is what i was givin in detox). sooooo. eventually, i bought all the suboxone i could get (i was basically using it to get high, which is the addict in me). there were times that when i couldnt get my suboxone, i would switch right back to taking percocets since i totally did NOT want to get into the oxycontin again. when my dealer got some suboxone, i immediatly stopped the percocets. basically over the past year ive been trying to avoid withdrawl. because my suboxone supply wasnt steady i kept relapsing on percocets until i could get more suboxone.

the suboxone worked like a charm if i used it right 2-4 mgs a day woulda been fine had i known it. i ended up in detox to get into suboxone treatment which was fine. it was all good 5 days inpatient, they gave me subs, however, i take klonopin, which is basically xanax, and i have a WICKED ANXIETY DISORDER AND PTSD. i mean WICKED (im 31 and a virgin to give you an idea how bad of an anxiety problem i have) thus when i was released from detox they dosed me 4mgs subs and told me id be fine in a week (because of the amount of klonopin i take they wouldnt give me any suboxone for aftercare) they did not know ive been on xanax, ativan, klonopin since i hit puberty (See above _virgin_ lol) anyways sorry to ramble but when i got outta detox i bought a 8 mg suboxone, took it all in like 3 days and been on nothing for 5 days.

setmefree. suboxone worked. i was spending a LOT and using heroin and oxy;s and all it took for me to stop was a 1/4 suboxone. since that day i havnt used heroin or oxycontin, but i still had to use percs because i didnt have a regular supply or control of the suboxone i was getting, hence why i went into detox. i should be tapering and right now i found a suboxone doctor who will take me tomorrow. $300 bucks but shit, thats what i used to spend on my habit and this is a doctor who will taper. im assuming i will be in withdrawls heavily for the next 2 weeks prolly even after 5 days. i mean, ive been in worse shape than i am now but jesus suboxone has to be tapered. I dont get why the detox lady said in 7days i would be fine after a 4 mg sub dose. however, i feel about the same everyday, SHITTY.

day 5 5 53 pm. gubu, i envy you and i thank you for your words. thanx man. setmefree i hope this all helped feel free to post with more questions since i have a LOT of suboxone experiences and opiate stuff.

thank you both from the bottom of whats left of my heart for listening please please dont stop posting. im gonna try and post more.

-matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Matt... I commend you for your bravery.. you're a better man then I am... I don't think I could of gone cold turkey with that history.. I've gone cold turkey off an 50-60mg oxy habit, but nothing as intense as you..

If you made it past 5 days, you're doing AWESOME! I know you feel like you're going crazy and you wanna die, but remember every day is one step closer to having all this bullshit behind you. I know it's really rough for you and I'll be praying for you.. because I know I know how you are feeling..

Just please please try to abstain for using.. I guarantee in a few more days you start to feel even better.. maybe slightly but thats an improvement.. and just think... NO MORE MONKEY ON YOUR BACK.. that's a pretty awesome feeling in my mind... I've felt off, depressed, tired, insomnia, but the alternative.. I'm like meh that's pretty good side effects for now...

You're currently at the mind game state in my opinion.. which is really rough.. well mind and physical.. but if you can push through the physical, it will next be mental and eventually it will be nothing but a dream... I'd suggest mustering of some courage and suck up your pride and get into some NA groups.. there are always one ore two or more in many towns.. just talking to someone will make you feel a lot better..

please please keep us updated Matt.. we want you to be successful and I want to be able to see us both here supporting other people in the same place but both clean and happy!

Keep it up and feel ok to PM if you need to!

Stay safe man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

gubu i hear ya. im in serious fight. battle of my life. do i go to the clinic on day 6 and go BACK on the devils dust for taper or just sit here, and deal. im in bad bad bad shape. i dont know whats going. im a weak, sad, lonley person and ive used virtuallly all my strenth these past 5 days just NOT to relapse. i dont know if i have anything left. on your words. i will try and deal... thank you gubu. godbless man thanks.

sometimes you gotta take the elevator through hell to find the stairway to heaven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:05 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Matt... I tottally hear you on that one... I know you must feel like you're going insane.. I do know that feeling.. just keep it that little whisper in the back of your mind that it will get better... It's like a bad dream.. you finally wake up look around and realize, woah this isnt real... well opiates are like the 4 year dream.. and then one day we wake up and think HOLY HELL.. where did this come from.

I never slipped into real hard addictions until the last few times i've WD and got clean.. this time I took the taper route and it was much gentler, not completely pain free..

I'm hoping that you stay strong my man and realize that there are a lot of people out there who care for you.. even on here that you may not know..

Hopefully tomorrow will be a little better.. just gotta get that suboxone to burn off so your body can really recover..

Keep us updated, keep posting on here.. it will help!