It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
Former detainees in Yunnan told Human Rights Watch that while in drug detention centers they were beaten and made to work up to 18 hours daily in wretched conditions without pay. Multiple sources told Human Rights Watch that detainees are consistently denied access to basic medical care. Former detainees in Yunnan report that TB is common, and untreated, among detainees. Former detainees and local NGO workers interviewed in Yunnan told Human Rights Watch that when detainees become critically ill they are routinely released, without referral to health care and with few resources to access care on their own. Far from protecting the health of detainees, the policies and practices of these “treatment” and “rehabilitation” centers systematically endanger their health and well-being.

In our 2008 report, Human Rights Watch documented what former detainees described as an “unbreakable cycle” of incarceration, unbearable stigmatization when released back into the community, unemployment, discrimination, poor health, and finally, in hopelessness, a return to drug use. Our current research found that this endless cycle continues. While the Anti-Drug Law purports to make the reintegration of drug users into society a priority, policies alerting the police when a former detainee checks into a hotel, applies for a job or registers for harm reduction services reinforces the overwhelming stigma they already face.

This really makes me angry. Drug addicts are some of the most marginalised, stigmatised and therefore most vulnerable groups in society. The Chinese Communist Party take advantage of this by the systematic incarceration, abuse and forced labour of these people. Forced to work 18-20 hour days with no medical care, even during outbreaks of tuberculosis in the facilities.

And if you think these addicts have it bad, spare a prayer for the Falun Gong political prisoners. They are locked up in these same facilities, where the drug-abusing population are encouraged and forced to beat the political prisoners regularly, being careful not to damage their organs in the process so the organs can eventually be harvested and sold to the wealthy. According to Chinese doctors who have fled, the harvesting process can be done while the prisoner is still alive, with no anaesthetic.

True story, sadly. https://www.hrw.org/report/2010/01/07/where-darkness-knows-no-limits/incarceration-ill-treatment-and-forced-labor-drug

Next time we're complaining that our chemist gives us weird looks when we browse the shop while waiting for our script to be filled ... think of these guys.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:37 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Wow TeeJay, man that was hardcore, seriously. It was hard to read all of the way through. I can't imagine what possesses human beings to treat other people that way... I just don't get it. It certainly puts my own hardships into perspective. Nothing like a swift smack of reality in the face before bedtime.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:46 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

OpenMind wrote:
Wow TeeJay, man that was hardcore, seriously. It was hard to read all of the way through. I can't imagine what possesses human beings to treat other people that way... I just don't get it. It certainly puts my own hardships into perspective. Nothing like a swift smack of reality in the face before bedtime.

i agree, thanks for this perspective teejay.