It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What would it be?

For me, it'd be simply about "man'ing up", confronting the adult world & all its inconvenient issues instead of constantly running from any pain life may throw my way.

Life can be painful sometimes, but that pain won't kill me. Using on the other hand . . .

What is it for you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree. I think it's a matter of learning to deal with life's ordinary ups and downs without escaping or self-medicating. That's been the most important thing for me. And as an offshoot of that, it also included therapy in dealing with shit in my past that I'd been escaping from, because once I deal with all that crap, I won't need an escape. As they say...learn to deal with life on life's terms.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: interesting
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:13 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I tried to put it in one word. Man'ing up is right on.

But I have to add: getting out of myself. Helping others, being useful. If I'm doing that, I'm probably also man'ing up to my adult responsibilities. We cannot do this alone, by ourselves and in isolation.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: My One Word
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:02 pm 

Would be "Exercise". We all know that if you get your blood going about 108 bpm it releases endorphins to replace the ones we've lost through using opiates.

Being on Sub right now at 8mgs, I really don't feel like working out. But as I am continually tapering, it's in my recovery plan. That, or risk relapse.

I'm moving to a new place in three months that has a built in gym. Plenty of treadmills, stationary bikes, ellipticals, etc., so I'll have no excuse. Plus, I should be down to a very low dose or off completely. We'll see.

Post subject: Good topic!!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey, this is a great topic, BTW. I love the responses. Rule62, you are SO on!! If I exercise, tapering is ten times easier than if I don't. And I do not want to exercise most of the time because it's so dang cold outside. There have been a few days when I felt really yucky and we went snowboarding and I completely forgot all about how I felt as long as I was out there on the slopes. It's like magic.

For me, recovery is about being honest with myself and then with everyone else. Sometimes, it's easier to see something in my life in a way that's easier for me to digest, but I've come to the realization that complete honesty is the way to become comfortable with myself and everything that I've been through and done in my life. For me, it's how I can be peaceful in the quiet moments.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:35 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

For me, it is about not falling into my enabler mode, often at great expense to myself.
Also, I am working on taking care of MYSELF...which is another form of taking personal responsibility
to a higher place.

I JUST ORDERED A NEW PAIR OF WORKOUT SHOES ONLINE!

A crucial step in my recovery plan is working out again.
Haven't done any real exercise in five years...I am so excited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If I had to reduce my recovery to one simple concept, I would say my stubborness in my decision to never use again has been working well for me, but I honestly don't think that something as complex as recovery from addiction can be reduced to one simple concept. This thought was reinforced to me as I read this awesome thread. As I was reading through this thread I realized how ALL of the respondents have touched on something that is part of my recovery!!