It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hi , i am stuggling with a problem....i need to find a new doctor and quick! i am a nother of three little boys , 6 years 4 years and 2 months old. i ahev been on suboxone for 2 years this may and never ever had a problem with my doctor or pharmacy until now. due to a back injury, i am unable to work. i get free healthcare, but get no cash assistance from my state. i dont own a car and i live at least 100 miles from the nearest doctor who prescribes sub, exept for the one i have been with for two year who is only 12 miles away. i was unable to come to two appts in the last 2 years and i had no phone at the time to call and tell them so i have been kicked out of the clinic due to admin. rules about missing appts...2 months ago i was told i was a model apteint and that i should be proud of myself. i feel so betrayed.... essentially i am being punished for being a poor single mom! wtf?! they will not listen to my explainantion about what happened...they say it doesnt matter if my house was burned down. i cannot miss ANY appts for any reason! what can i do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh kalimama! I'm so sorry this is happening to you! No warning or anything? That just sucks. If they won't listen to you and if it were me, I would sit down and write the best letter I could. Be polite and contrite. Explain that you didn't get any warning (if indeed you did not) after the first missed appointment, nor did they give you any notice before cutting off your medication (did they give you a month or two worth of prescriptions?). And the fact that they are fully aware that you will go into withdrawal without the medication amounts to cruelty on the doctor's part. I would most respectfully tell them that you are going to complain to both your state's licensing board as well as to the AMA. If they take you back they might be raging assholes to you and you'd have to follow every single one of their rules to the letter, but you'd still be in the program. That's what I'd do. I hope you can find a way to make this work. Good luck to you and let us know how it turns out. Please hang in there. Oh - and depending on what dose you're on, I would cut back to a dose that will just keep you out of withdrawal and keep you from using. Save up as many extra tablets as you can. I'm so sorry.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i did not have any warning at all! its not even in the 3 page contract i signed with them! i have enough to get me through the 25th...but i can easily reduce what i take a bit..i have done that before and i'll be ok. the doc , when i last spoke to him said, just quit taking it, a lot of people are just fine when they stop. ok,,, i am a student nurse midwife. i know how unprofessional and cruel if not dangerous it is to just stop suddenly... i seem to know more about this med than he does...i wrote a letter to them already, but they are standing firm. i dont understand other than perhaps because i am on state run health care that they dont get paid as much from my visits as they do from other patients ...i have been a perfect patient! my doc even told me that. i am so disappointed in them as human beings..so cruel. i have no car! i have no way of even hoping to get to a new doctor even if i could find one!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would get the addresses of your states medical/licensing board and the AMA and write a letter - address it to both of them. I'd include a copy of the contract and indicate in the letter that you were terminated for reasons not even in the contract. Maybe when you send him a copy of that letter he'll see you mean business and take you back. All I know is that's what I'd try to do.

As you know, depending on what dose you're on, if you stop suddenly you will suffer withdrawals. There is no danger to stopping, however, just the usual opiate withdrawals (possibly less that regular opiates) - again depending on your current dose. (Withdrawals that are dangerous are benzo w/d.)

Good luck.

Post subject: ok!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i will certainly take your advice, even if he doesnt take me back, i would like to prevent this from happening to future patients!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just read on one of your other posts that you're also a pain patient. Do you have a family/regular doctor who would write you your suboxone scripts for pain? Any doctor can prescribe sub for pain without the special waiver. It might be worth asking. Again, good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

FROM INDIGOCHILD: (Posted in a new topic and unable to move, so it was copied/pasted here):

remember; you catch more flies than you do with honey....if u take anything from this...it could not be coming from the Dr but rather from admin. if the 'doctor' told you are a model patient then,,,well, just make sure HE gets the letter. Often, those letters never reach the Dr and are trashed by the front desk. it happened to me once

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree with the above. Before you report him to the AMA, I would try throwing yourself at the mercy of the Dr. Personally. I had trouble with hardcore office staff because of insurance issues, but when I talked to the doc he was much more forgiving. Despite their policies, I don't see how they can discharge you for something that is not even in the contract! I really hope this works out for you. It's a crime that red tape is put ahead of the well being of the patient in this country.