It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: 4 years today!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

4 years ago today I stopped taking Suboxone!!

It's been a challenging road at times, but it's also been a very rewarding road. I have to thank all the people on this forum. From the people I've posted back and forth with to the people I've never posted to, but only read their threads, it's all been beneficial to my recovery. So, thank you to all you wonderful addicts!!

K, carry on. :D

Post subject: Re: 4 years today!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:30 am 

As we said in the 70's around here:RIGHT ON RIGHT ON RIGHT ON..ROMES..

Ya uno, I feel that it is amazing and wonderful that you continue to keep coming back here to help others.. as we learn in recovery, helping others may be the single best thing we can do.

Your spot on time an time again Rome..
Thanks for being here and ...ya, what is your secret to sucess ??
Congrats to you and your family.

I spend alot of time here rerading old threads, and you have come aloug way. !!have a great day dude

razor r...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congrats! It's inspiring to hear from someone who's reached that many years of clean time.

-- JI

Romeo wrote:
4 years ago today I stopped taking Suboxone!!

It's been a challenging road at times, but it's also been a very rewarding road. I have to thank all the people on this forum. From the people I've posted back and forth with to the people I've never posted to, but only read their threads, it's all been beneficial to my recovery. So, thank you to all you wonderful addicts!!

K, carry on. :D

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:26 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Can I just add - You totally rock and are truly a bad ass!! :D Way to go Romeo- you are a super good "dude" and an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your success!
xo
rca

Last edited by rca1004 on Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:33 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Wow! That is so awesome! I just posted for the first time 2 days ago but I had read so many of your posts before that. To be honest you were one of the ones that I was hoping might give me a little input on my own course because of everything I had read from you prior! Thank you for being such a great inspiration, help, confidant, etc to so many people! 4 Years! Even MORE to be inspired by!!

"One man gathers what another man spills"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Congratulations Romeo. 4 years free from opiates. What a huge accomplishment. I hope to be in the same place as you someday. You have been such an inspiration to me. Thank you for continuing to post here and share your knowledge and experiences with all of us.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:08 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Congrats romeo!! Good work.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks folks, y'all are too kind!!

Razor, the secret to my success is I refuse to use drugs!! As true as that is, I've also grown a lot during my recovery. I quit Suboxone at age 42 or so and was pretty surprised at how emotionally immature I was once I totally cleaned up. Admitting my immaturity and dealing with uncomfortable emotions without using has helped me come a long way. There are a million other things to recovery, but that's one of the biggies for me. Without a doubt, this forum has been a huge benefit to me too. I've learned a lot about recovery over the years from some really awesome, kind, just as fucked up as me addicts.

Johnny, thanks for the shout. I appreciate it.

rca, yes, I do totally rock and am quite the bad ass.....dude!! :) Thank you for your kind words. From what I've been reading on your thread, you're quite the inspiration, too!

Cautiously Optimistic, thanks so much for posting on my thread!! I was hoping you would post on my thread cuz your avatar is da bomb!! Thank you for the kind words. I'm going to check out your thread here in a bit and see if I can offer any additional assistance.

crystalrain, you're so kind. Thank you very much. Technically, I haven't been opiate free for 4 years. I've had a few slips along the way, very brief slips, mercifully. But I'll always remember June 4th, the day I quit Suboxone, because that's the first time in my adult life that I really quit using drugs. I know NA doesn't agree with it, but I still think of June 4th as my clean date. In NA terms, I think I have just shy of 3 years "clean."

subuser13years, thanks for the shout out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Romeo, you have been a real inspiration to me since I joined this forum. your advice is always spot on, and it means so much and speaks volumes about you that even though you've put Suboxone behind you, you still support those who use it in their recovery, you're there for those who are trying to stop or even jump, with advice and support,& All this four years after you stopped taking it yourself. who knows how many addicts have been helped by your kind words and time you take out of every day to come check on us! You rock! Congratulations on four years!! :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:01 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey romeo. What you said about being immature. I read on another forum, which really hit home with me, "we stop using drugs when we are 40 something, thinking we are the same sprightly 20 year old that we were when we started using". Or words to that effect.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Romeo wrote:

Cautiously Optimistic, thanks so much for posting on my thread!! I was hoping you would post on my thread cuz your avatar is da bomb!! Thank you for the kind words. I'm going to check out your thread here in a bit and see if I can offer any additional assistance.

HA! I have thought the same thing about your avatar since the first time I saw it!!! Cornholio!! Seriously, your posts on these forums speak volumes about your recovery and how much you clearly have "matured" over these years. Again, thanks for the inspiration!

"One man gathers what another man spills"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

4 years off suboxone is no easy feat! Congratulations, Romeo. I echo what everyone else has said; your contributions here are greatly appreciated and valued. Way to go! I'll be at 2 years in august. Time has really flown by, eh? Seems like yesterday that I joined this forum. Anyway, couldn't be prouder of you-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:07 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Holy f--k! Congrats! What I respect about you the most, besides the fact that you have been drug free for 4 years, is that you continue to reach out to the people on this forum and offer your suggestions, support, and encouragement! You are a huge inspiration!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:57 pm 

Romeo, you are the "old timer" here and I hope and pray that you will stay that way forever. A rare thing to recover from opiate addiction. Most fail, many die.

I've often wondered what motivates you to stay here for so long? All I can come up with is gratitude and the friends you've made. You're surely not bored. Thanks for always stepping up and making sure this place runs smoothly. You are a great asset to this forum.

Rock On Dude!

t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Lizzie, thanks so much!! I'm glad I've been able to be an inspiration to you. Comments like that really hit home with me. Thanks again.

subuser13years, I've heard similar things. I've heard that we pretty much stop maturing or growing emotionally when we start drugs. Unfortunately, I was 17 when I started, 42 when I stopped. It is a very strange feeling to be occupying the body of a 42 year old, but only feeling 17 or so with how I could deal with things emotionally. The good news is, you "grow up" pretty damn fast once you quit, really got no choice! :)

CO, thanks again. One of these days I'm going to change that silly Beavis avatar, but that day is not today. :wink:

TD, 2 years in August for you, WOW!! I'm so proud of you and so happy for you. Give the baby a hug for me!

mama79---the Holy Fuck made me LOL!! You seriously made my day when I read that. Thank you so much for the kind and supportive words.

Rule62, my man. I'll tell you this, DoaQ is one of the big motivations for me to stay here as long as I have. She helped me SO much with my recovery. The only reason I've made it as far as I have in recovery is because I've had the luxury of standing on the shoulders of giants, like DoaQ. Interestingly enough, DoaQ ended her tenure here right around the 4 year off Suboxone mark, but I don't feel that need as of right now. She stuck around for 4 amazing years and I've always wanted to emulate her. Maybe by sticking around a little longer, I'll beat her!! lol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:10 am 

Yes, please beat her! I would be a sad person if you decided to leave. You are a big part of the heart and soul of this forum! I hope the forum never has to say goodbye to you!

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:32 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I must agree with Amy, you're a huge part of this forum, and we still need ya..... stick around a good long time! :-)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:36 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Congrats! Four years is awesome!!! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:14 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Way to go Romeo!!

I can't wait to say the same thing. Thanks for all the advice you've given me. You're an awesome dude.

"the only way out is through"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You're all too kind, thank you all!!!