It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

It starts off, a life saver but it will come to a sharp point. Loss off motivation, sleepy all the time, headaches and more side effects...... Been to the doctors 9 times this year. If that's not enough to want to stop, most ALL my friends on this stuff are starting to feel the same way in time!! No drug is good long term period. I'm going to start a ween soon next time I see my doctor!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:22 am 

Well, that's your opinion and your experience, Jarin. We have people on here who are on bupe for years and years, and some know they will be lifers. If it's time for you to get off, that's fine. If it's time for your friends to get off, also fine. We just try not to presume about other people's recoveries around here. You can have your opinion, but unless there is hard evidence we don't throw blanket statements around. Scientific research is always welcome.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:46 am 

Lot's of ppl have been on suboxone for yrs that don't have those side effects, I don't. I understand that u do and I agree with ya that it would definitely suck. And if it's ur time to taper, u will know...just like u know it's ur time right now. But sub doesn't have that effect on everyone. I remember how horrible I felt on oxycodone, heck I didn't even have the heart to leave my house bk then except to get my pills for the day (on a lucky day). I wouldn't want someone to think sub does this to everyone and choose to not take this life saving medication.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I had a similar experience to yours, but I think we are the minority on this board. For some people going on a much lower maintenance dose (like 2mg or less) alleviates the side effects but still blunts the craving for opiates. You didn't say what dose you are on or how you're doing overall on your recovery. Maybe a significant dose reduction would help you feel better.
Good luck,
Lilly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sounds to me like you could just be on too high of a dose. But I understand wanting to try to get off after 7 years. Been there, done that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:46 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I agree with tinydancer...sounds like you are on too much Sub. You will find, as you taper down, that the troublesome side effects go away. They did for me.

Sounds like you have had that "click" that goes off in some that it is time to get off. 8+years on here, and I have had that same click that it's time. That's a good thing for us. But some choose to be lifers and from what I've read, it can cause lower T levels in men and sometimes adrenal issues. But the long-term effects are thought to be minor. People that choose to be on it for life feel it is saving their lives and that's a good thing :)

Good luck in your taper and keep us posted how you do!

1.1.15 - 8 mg/day
1.24.15 - 6 mgs/day
3.6.15 - 4 mg/day
3.22.15 - 3 mg/day
5.3.15- 2 mg/day
5.17.15 - 1.5 mg/day
5.29.15 - 1 mg/day
6.16.15 - .8 mg/day
12.18.15 - 4 mg
12.28.15 - 2 mg
1.10.16 - 1.5 mg
1.21.16 - 1 mg