It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:18 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Im new here haven't been on a forum in years. Ok been on suboxone for 11 years and Ive been getting anxious feeling in the evenings I take 2 8mg a day so what did I do? Started taking a extra half on the days I felt anxious and just so tired no energy hoping to give a little boost. Well I went to doctor and did my urine screen and it good been good for 11 years haven't took anything other than a Tylenol but I went in a week early because I had to go out of town for 2 weeks I was going to fill the prescription like 2 days early but my doctor writes on prescription not to feel it until one day before I should run out but I ran out 5 days early by taking extra halfs. I don't know about everyone else but let me tell you that if I take my 16mg a day Im ok if I go down to 4mg for one day the next day I will be withdrawaling starting with runny eyes, yawning, stretching. I don't understand it I cant go with out it longer than a day. Well anyway I couldn't fill it for 5 days I had already early signs of withdrawal so I freaked out I went and found me some oxycodone and I knew I couldn't stand the deep down feeling in my feet and kicking them. I took like 15 oxycodone 7.5mg in 5 days just to keep the withdrawal at bay and it worked. I finally could feel them a little I mean just a little on the 5 day. But I hate that I did this but I couldn't go that long without it already had withdrawal and by day 3 the kicking of the feet was back after 11 years. So my question is it will be exactly 29 days since I took them when I go to dr for urine screen I know they have different detection limits but would I pass it? Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:20 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi p98 and welcome to the forum I am new also just joined a few nights ago. You came too the
rite place for answers and support a lot of knowledge and good hearted people. To answer the
29 day thing generally 3 to 5 days they will be out of your system.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:16 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

In my experience with any opiates (15 years of addiction), if I was off them for over 3 days, hydrocodone never showed up on any drug tests that I took. That was my personal experience, and it is probably different from person to person, but what I've read or seen after 72 hours it doesn't show up in your system. I had experience with benzos as well, and they seemed to take longer, about 5-7 days after they were gone, they wouldn't show up on a drug test. IMO after 29 days, you shouldn't come up positive on a UA test. Again, I'm not a doctor, but this is from personal experience.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:28 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Also wanted to mention that I take 4-8mg daily of subs, and from personal experience, I've skipped a day before here and there, and been ok. Suboxone has a VERY long half-life, and so it stays in your system for quite sometime. I've seen posts where people have gone 3-4 days until they start feeling any kind of withdraws. It could be psychological, or not, just something for you to think about, so many you don't get as freaked out next time if you run out. I researched suboxone pretty thoroughly, and I believe the half life is 24-36 hours. I know when I was horribly addicted to opiates, I couldn't go more than 5-6 hours without taking more (I'd wake up in the middle of the night and take some, otherwise I'd be ill in the morning).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi P98,

You shouldn't have anything to worry about with a urine drug screen if the info you gave us above is correct. 3-5 days is generally the length of time they will show in urine, even with a slow metabolism.

My bigger concern is the fact that you ran out so early and felt that you couldn't reduce your dose for a few days to compensate. It is so easy for us to go along taking our suboxone, especially on the higher doses you are describing, and do nothing else to promote our recovery. I totally understand the occasional slip, taking a bit more than needed. But, if you have 16mgs per day you should have had no problem dropping to 8mg per day for a few days to make up the difference. I'm afraid that this could become a pattern for you if you don't stay on top of it and learn a little bit more about how suboxone works and the other things you should do to promote healthy recovery along with it.

I know you have been on it for a very long time, and you have a lot of personal experience with it. I promise I'm not trying to discount that. I just wanted to point out that if you really understand the ceiling level of suboxone and exactly how that effects you, it's very easy to convince yourself that you need that large dose every day to function. Knowledge is most definitely power, especially when it comes to addicts who are trying to overcome this disease.

I just want to encourage you to let this experience teach you something, and take steps to prevent it from happening again in the future. It would be so terrible to throw away 11 years of recovery because you didn't have accurate information.

Welcome to our forum! I hope you will stick around, we would love to be of some help to you.

Q

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:59 pm 

Yes, welcome! Your post has made me think that we should have a topic at the beginning of a couple sections for people to come on and post if they are about to take extra sub above their dose, and need some support to avoid doing that.

Would it have helped, do you think, if there had been an obvious place for you to get some support to prevent you from taking extra? I would then hope that we moderators and forum regulars would watch for new posts in that section and hopefully be on hand to support members who are going through this. No one is on the forum 24/7, but I think we could stay on top of it enough to potentially help someone through a time when they need support.

What do you all think?

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I love that idea amy! I know when I read where a new member comes on and posts about having taken extra and running out early,(understandably scary), I've often thought perhaps if they had posted about it first, maybe we (members) could've offered some assistance or support or information. I'd definitely stay on top of that. Good thinking!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I like the idea as well. I'd like to hear from some of our other regular members about it.

What do you all think? Would it be helpful?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:06 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

yeah, that could help a lot of ppl. I just think that Ive been on it so long and it doesn't work as good or maybe its some health problems causing me to feel this way, since I know I have something going on with me. I know that the strips don't work good for me at all I absolutely hate them, so I went to the tablets and they work better as for the pain I have I miss the old suboxone they really worked I never took to much or ran out early. Never. This has just been happening last few months and when I said about withdrawal at one day it was from 16mg to 8mg to 4mg for like 2 days then on the day I didn't have any it was about 28 hours and it started but 11 years on something is long I been on this longer than I was addicted to other pills. Thank you all for posting

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:47 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

qhorsegal2 wrote:
I like the idea as well. I'd like to hear from some of our other regular members about it.

Hello,

I also agree that it would be a great idea for the new topic. I received amazing support and encouragement when I came here with the problem of taking extra and abusing my subs. I read here for quite some time trying to find a thread related to my issue. I couldn't find anything helpful. Had there been one available within easy reach it may have gotten me back on track long ago. I would imagine it could and will happen to someone else. If the info was here in advance and helped just one person it would make such a difference. Great idea, Amy!

Hey PAMPPET,

Just wanted to comment about the film verses the pills and the benefit you get or don't get from either. I've been on subs almost 5 years. And in that time I've used about every variety available. I was first on the name brand Suboxone, the orange stop sign looking ones. I have also used the generic Suboxone pills, generic buprenorphine (Subutex) pills, and currently on the Suboxone film strips which are 8mg each. I've also used both 2 and 4 mg pills. In my humble opinion I believe they all work the same. And I personally like the film over any of the others. For ME it dissolves faster, tastes a little better, and is much, much easier to cut into smaller doses which a friend has to do. I honestly believe a lot of it can be purely mental, or perhaps a placebo-like effect on one or the other. This is all MY opinion only.

Due to the pharmacy not having my film strips once I was forced to get the generic 8mg pills for the month. I hated them because I liked the films. I swore they didn't work the same at first and complained to my doctor and the pharmacy. In about the middle to end of that month I barely noticed any difference. I realized it was all in my head. They WERE keeping me stable! I had to get the generic again a couple times over the years due to the same circumstances and never worried about it again.

I'm NOT saying you can't distinguish any difference because it is possible. I just saying for ME I found no difference between any of them.

Good luck to you PAMPPET. You've been on bupe a long time. I was prescribed 16mgs per day and began abusing them getting all the way up to 32mgs regularly and even as high as 48-64 mgs occasionally!! CRAZY for sure! I'm now down to 4mgs daily and doing great! I've honestly not noticed any difference between those higher doses and where I am now except that I actually feel BETTER on the lower dose. Doesn't make sense sometimes, but sub works differently than full-agonist opiates. Have you ever tried taking a lower dose for a few days? Not saying you should just wondering? Take care.

Sub Addict

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:12 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Sue, yeah I know what you are saying 11 years Ive been on them all but actually if you read the little folded brochure comes with the strips in the box. you will find that it says some ppl might have to have their mg adjusted and that strips can cause back pain and Ive read online that tablets help more with pain than strips. I cant remember if its on the brochure or not or on the suboxone website but for me I like that strips are faster but I have dry mouth a lot and tablets works better but everyone is different. But I think lot of mine is legimate pain since I have a knot come up on my rib on my back and cant sleep laying down I guess that is why I had to take extra but I hope to discuss with my doctor soon. I just hated after 11 years of being drug free other than subs I had to take something I mean I waited for the withdrawal to kick in before I took them and how it started was I was on 16mg for most of month then I went to 8mg for 2 days then 4mg for 2 days and like 28 hours after last 4mg dose I had withdrawal nothing severe except I looked like I was crying all day and and yawning but couldn't sleep. But 3 days later I had the thing that I cant deal with and that is the kicking of my feet the deep down unbearable feeling. I wish I could get off everything but I went 2 weeks off of methadone before and wasn't getting no better still my feet I tried requip everything but never helped I thought if I could go 2 weeks the withdrawal would be bareable but it wasn't. so that's why I been on this for 11 years. I haven't found anyone yet been on it long as I have. Plus my doctor told me 11 years ago that some ppl might be on it rest of their life.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

qhorsegal2 wrote:

I think YES! I did the same thing and thankfully had some amazing help getting down again! Support is essential for me and probably others, especially by someone who knows about suboxone.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Pamppet

I was thinking if you drink a lot of water it can't hurt cleanse your body of the oxy. I am also on sub for pain and that's how i increased my dose, more pain = more sub. The sub didn't help though and now that i am down again i have Less pain!

I also wanted to add to the strips vs generic pills. I ended up with zubsolv this month because my insurance will no longer cover the films. They did this last year & my doc called so they gave me the films. Last year they made me use the generic for 10 days & when i said it wasn't working they allowed coverage for the films. Anyway i got zubsolv vs the other generic and the 2nd day i was in w/d's. I had some films left so i took one film a day & two of the pills. It's been a little over 2 weeks & i am doing well, some pain has even lessened. I haven't taken the films in 5 days & only take 2 pills that dissolve quickly. I think there are differences in the pills and even in a batch of the films. Sometimes we don't notice it and others we notice it big time. I am super sensitive to medications (and other things) and often the fillers have been the problem. We need choices like film vs pill because we are all different.

Hope things go well at your next appointment and hope you enjoy & become an active member of this forum. You never know when your posts help another person.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:38 pm 

Hey Pam!! Welcome to the forum :)
11yrs wow that's awesome and glad ur here.

Amy & Q :) yes! U have my vote! I think that'd be a really cool idea & can possibly help someone. It could even help someone who wouldn't actually take extra but may feel like they just want to. U should def start that thread Amy.