It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well for the first time I am writing this or my feelings on the web. A little background for you, I have been on some sort of pain medication since 1996 after a bad motorcycle accident. From that time to now I have been through a handful of surgeries along with some professional baseball. About 11 and a half years ago I jumped from heroin to suboxone after detoxing cold turkey in a facility on my own. And from the point to now I have put my life back together and now have an amazing family of mine own. I now have had enough of being tied or dependent on suboxone. I hate planning for the future and counting my strips to make sure I will be okay while away. And the grandest part was I found a doctor 3 years ago who would prescribe for 3 months at a time of 16mg a day. Did I need that much no. But I continued on until he just now retired and I am now looking at 5 strips left and have been dosing myself down as much as possible only taking as needed or for me when I can't sleep which is most nights. I now have motivated myself to get off sub and am going to do it this week. The only fears I have are that I have to work and I work in the heat of the day where it's brutally hot and my days are 12-14 hours long. I have this fear that it (WD)won't end and I won't have the energy to complete a days task. Although I for the last 8 months have been working out in the gym and have gotten on testosterone to get myself into good physical shape, I gained 30 pounds and feel great..so when I read your post it gives me hope and a vision of what it will be like 6 months from now. I have been cloudy and emotionally withdrawn and I am afraid of me changing or being a different form or another personality. My wife is scared to see what I turn into. Considering I have always been on this since the day we met. I guess I'm just looking for some encouraging thoughts from those who have been where i am now. Thank you for your words and I appreciate all your thoughts and feelings.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:33 pm 

Only you know when the time is right to get off Suboxone. My (our) main concern would be not tapering nice and slowly. There is an entire section here on how to taper and jump off of Suboxone w/o too much discomfort. I hope you have or will read as many of those posts as possible.

Of course we wish you success. But always know that if it comes down to being addicted to opiates again or going back onto Suboxone, the later will be the best way to go.

Keep us posted on your progress. We will cheer you on!

rule

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:37 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I was where you were about 32 days and it would be nice to know how many Mgs you are on now . I am now 32 days clean and I feel pretty damn great . I too was afraid of the pain but I realized that all my pain was coming from ghost pain from taking pain killers all the time . I am pain free now and don't have any issues with my back anymore . Here's what you need to do for energy . Go grab a bottle of l-tyrosine and it will give you the energy to get through . I only felt tired for about a week before I found the l-tyrosine . If you could take a few days off I would but when I withdrew I sat on my ass except for two hours at the gym and I would rather be busy than sitting around it makes it so much better. The best thing for withdrawals is exercise and I highly recommend taking a run/walk each morning and about 3-4 hours before bed . Bring your headphones with you everywhere it really helps and music sounds so good when you come off . Take hot baths whenever you are uncomfortable they basically eliminate all symptoms for about an hour. Overall the worst thing was the no sleep but you'll discover that 3-4 hours of substance free sleep is better than 8 hours on sub. You will sleep it will just be harder for about a week. If you are out doing labor I think you'll be just fine ! If you get restless legs and can't sleep hop out of bed go grab a snack and itl be gone when you come back . Same with cravings fill them with food or chocolate milk and they will go away . Just don't lay in bed if the rls happens because you'll just get pissed. Overall my withdraw wasn't bad at all it never stopped me from doing anything . My journey isn't done but I've turned a corner and feel great! I'm not completely there yet but I'm so happy I did . Once you get through the first week you'll find that time flies by so fast . I did this alone and I would of loved to have a wife next to me it would of been a lot easier. Just remind yourself that if you are feelings bad that it's completely temporary . What sounds better a few weeks of not feeling that great or being unhappy on suboxone for months or years to come ? Also I've been writing my journey on this forum too it's right under yours in the bupe in the rear view mirror . If you are curious on how I felt day to day. If you read it you'll find my biggest problems weren't the Withdrawl it was other little things !

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:43 pm 

Hi Rip, Welcome! I just wanted to welcome you and I know you will hear from people with experience stopping subs. I have been on them for about two years. I started at 24mgs and have tapered down to 4mgs. I am very happy with my journey and hope to be dropping to 3mgs soon. You didn't say how much you are taking now. I am sure that you know, the lower the dose, the smoother it seems to go. Welcome and I am sure you will get some great feedback!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:11 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for helping and the quick feedback I love hearing how people are doing a few weeks after. It gives me hope. On my dosage lets just say I took my last 20 strips of 8mg starting about 2 weeks ago and now I'm left with 5.5 strips or so. I have been cutting the strips into 8 small squares. I figure a mg. each And taking as needed. Let's just say this is the worst timing but it needs to be done. I go to the gym and starting today I lifted and sat in the wet sauna for about 15 min or so. I felt so much better coming out of it soaking wet in sweat. So my wife wants me to order that calm support from Amazon. I'm not sure it will help considering the 60$ price tag. I have been taking multivitamins, b12, C, d3, fish oil, among others. I have a amino acid drink mix. I have been reading a lot on this forum from other success stories getting ideas.I guess the biggest thing for me at this time is the mind games coming up to the last dose. I suppose the memories from my last time I did this WD I am scared to say the least. I lost 15 pounds and was sicker than I have ever been. Bad memories to say the least.

The one thing I hate is dragging this out every day trying to prolong this nightmare being trapped. Everyday taking it one hour to the next reliving the same symptoms over and over. Then it starts all over again. Part of me says just screw it and flush the remainder of my dosage but my dependent self says oh hell no!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:35 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I felt the same way ! I felt trapped taking a medicine that made me feel the way it did but not wanting the withdrawal . My first attempt I got 40 hours in and gave in to the first craving and two weeks after I was fed up and made the jump . Never looked back after that but if you want it bad enough you can do it easily . I got angry at the medicine and every day I took it I viewed it as one less day I'm not moving forward . I'd take my medicine and just feel guilty after my first attempt at quitting . Trust me I know that feeling all too well. It's good you have gotten fed up with being dependent because that is the fuel you need to use through the withdrawal process. Withdrawing is way better than taking your medicine and feeling guilty about it because once you've felt a negative attitude towards the medicine it will not go away . When I failed at getting off i said to myself oh il just wait for a better time and tried to justify it . One day later I took it and felt extremely down on myself and that feeling never went away and I used it to quit for good . Like I said before look into the l-tyrosine it's an amino acid I was taking multivitamins and they didn't help much at all. L-tyrosine is an amino acid that will help stabilize your mood and help with depression and anxiety and most importantly energy. Stay away from caffeine and alcohol it will make it far worse . Keep hitting the gym no matter how bad you feel! I know right now it seems like s mountain to climb but it's really not . Time will fly by and you'll be feeling great in no time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:37 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well today I went back to work. I took 1mg this morning at about 4am and felt good till about 5pm and I dragged it out at work since I'm on nights to 9pm once the yawns and watery eyes started and never stopped! So I took another 1mg. Do I continue to dose down til I'm out or should I just jump.. If say about 2 weeks ago I was on 16mg a day for the last 11 years.. I just started to dose down 2 weeks ago.. Is this gonna work for my body or the half life. Or is it safe to continue? If i continue to dose down like this I'll make it another 10 days or so til I'm completely out? My mom is sending me some trazadone to help get some sleep when I need it.. Is that okay or is there any issues? Thanks again for all your thoughts and experiences!! This has really helped me more than you know!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:07 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Sub is a little weird in a sense that it builds up in your system. I would deff continue to take 1 mg or if you can go down to .5 . I would highly recommend taking 1 mg or less during the next 10 or so days ! Some people can make the jump at a higher mg and have no issues and others taper down and still have issues . But yes I would continue to take less and less and give your body time to stabilize at 1 mg or below . It seems to be generally accepted that the lower the dose you can stabilize at, the easier it will be but some have jumped at higher doses and been ok.