It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: 6 years off.... i think
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:53 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi All,

I took my last crumb of suboxone 6 years ago. I tapered down to the smallest amount I could and then jumped off when I had a week off work and the weather was nice and...it was easy. I don't really remember much else about getting off but I remember there being a narrative on these boards that it's impossible to stay off forever or you might as well just stay on. So that's what made me decide to login today. 6 years and never a thought of going backwards.

If I had to be completely honest with myself I do think the 4-5 years of pills and the 1.5 years of suboxone did take their toll. I'm 36 and I struggle a bit with energy levels and motivation. When I was on pills I was a machine and I actually advanced my career...a lot. Since getting off my motivation and energy comes and goes. So that kind of sucks. But you can't beat waking up every morning feeling normal or enjoying music without it bugging your ears or walking the dogs on a nice day and truly enjoying it.

So hang in there. If you're on these boards you're ahead of the crazy amount of people these days who are deep in their pill addiction and haven't even started working on a way out yet.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Hawker!!

Dude, that's amazing. Amazing. Good for YOU!! Thanks for coming back and posting!! I'm new, lurker for a couple mos then joined in Feb. I'm a yr behind you, 6 yrs clean, 1 yr on, 5 yrs off bup, after 10yrs on opis. I just took the time and read most of your other posts - all interesting and helpful. Great you documented and kept/keep telling your story bc not everyone needs to stay on bup, the wds are not a problem if done right and its good to hear stories of those that succeed once off!! Congrats and well done. I'm going to refer others to search your posts!! I often go back through and read prior posts -- even way back - so helpful -- and always encourage others to as well. Incredible info on this site. Thanks for coming back - its encouraging - YOU are encouraging!! Wishing you my best, P

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:41 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Congrats on 6 years sober! Remarkable. I am excited for the day I can look back and gauge my sobriety in years like you can. Keep up the good work you are an inspiration for me and I'm sure a lot of others fighting the same fight.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hawker you were the one that helped me chill out years ago when I wanted to get off sub too soon. You encouraged me to take it slow. You made me ask myself why was I rushing. Anyway I stayed on 8mg for a few more years and then slowly tapered (like 2 years to get from 8mg to approx .007mg. I had literally no withdrawal). I have been off completely for 17 months now and no regrets.

Thanks and congrats on doing so well!

G