It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: 20 years getting here
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:19 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm new here and just wanted to say a little about how I got here.
I've been off of oppiates since 4/6/10 and taking Suboxone everyday since then.I spent 20 years building a tolerance to pain pills that I began taking when I was 16 for migraines(docs had no clue about rebound i'm guessing)anyway,as I got older I found docs to give me meds for just about anything.I didn't think I was real bad until about 8 years ago when I found myself taking up to 40 or more Norco daily.I was also using other meds as well ....... what ever I could get my hands on .......... i'm sure i'm not the only person using downers to try and get a little sleep.About 4 years ago,I took an overdose of Soma and Tylenol P.M. just trying to get a little sleep ............ if it had not been for my 20 year old son,I would be dead.I don't remember anything about the hospital except waking up and my mom telling me where I was and asking if I meant to kill myself.The Dr. said I was the luckiest person he'd ever seen because with the way my blood pressure had been it was a miracle that I didn't have a stroke.When I left there 3 days later ..... I was right back at it.I finally decided last April that I needed to do something and checked myself into a program in Northern Va. called C.A.T.S. I'm so thankful that this medicine is available to me because I believe I would be right back using again if it weren't for Suboxone and a new way of thinking.
I'm so glad there is a sight like this one for people like me! Thank you.

Post subject: Welcome!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:13 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi pab...,
Welcome to the Forum! I think you will find a lot of Support out here. There are many people going thru the same thing that you are and will share how they got by ect., ect.... You don't have to beat yourself up for taking 20 yrs +/- to get here. All of us wish that we could have started Recovery Sooner then we Did. :) The Important thing is that you are here NOW and that you are working your Recovery the BEST that you can!! I have been on Suboxone for almost 2 years now and it Also saved my Life. Same as you I started with my own pain pills for a bad Back and progressed from there . When I finally surrendered I was taking 300 - 350 Mg's. of Oxycodone a day a spending Thousands of $$$ I didn't have to spend! But I am in Recovery for my addiction and my Alcoholism. So there are Better days ahead. I just wanted to welcome you and say Hello. Please come back often and post your progress (Good & Bad ). The members out here will love to be part of your Recovery as you will be part of Theirs!! Welcome and take Care!! :)

God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I also wanted to welcome you to the forum. Thanks for sharing your story. I'm so happy to hear you made it through such hellish lows and with the help of suboxone came out alive on the other side. It's funny, you said you'd take anything to sleep, even with all the meds you were on. I did the same thing. I was on so many opiates and benzos, yet I still couldn't sleep! I ended up taking a shitload of Benedryl and along with all the other meds, almost didn't live through it. So you're right in that you're not the only one to experience such things. Isn't it nice to have all that shit behind us and now have a "normal" life again? Congrats to you. And again, welcome. I hope you stick around and post more.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PAB314,

Firstly, I am glad you found suboxone. I'm really excited to hear you say you now have a new way of thinking. Suboxone allows you to remove yourself from the addictive behaviors and it gives you time to get your thinking straightened out.

Secondly, I am happy that you found this forum. There is a wealth of information available here in many different forms.

Congratulations on deciding to take control of your addiction and put it in the back seat with the help of Suboxone.

Not to try to out do anyone, not at all, but I just wanted to mention that I had a 26 year addiction to various drugs, opiates included, before I found Suboxone. If you felt sorry or silly for "letting" your addiction go that long, I just wanted you to know that I was right in the same ballpark as you as far as duration of active addiction.

Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just wanted to thank everyone for welcoming me.It feels good to have people welcome you instead of dreading you.

Post subject: hello
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm Queenie, the grandmotherof the forum.

Welcome. So glad you found us. I hope you stay. There are so many nice people here that you get to know. They are very helpful & we have become a family, so welcome to the family.

I am an amputee. I had many surgeries and got addicted to painkillers.

Suboxone has changed my life. Thank goodness for it.

You sound very positive. Keep it up. I just want to say that Suboxone gives me insomnia sometimes. I notice you mentioned trouble with sleep. If Subs gives you trouble with sleep, hang in there. You may want to ask your doctor about it if it happens,

Once again welcome and please stay. You are welcome here.

Love, Queenie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Pab,

Your last post floored me!! It's nice to have people welcoming you instead of dreading you. I couldn't agree more! Really, it just stopped me in my tracks because I used to feel like that all the time. All of a sudden it hit me that I don't feel those negative feelings anymore and I 100% believe it is because of the time I have spent on this forum learning from so many others, listening to their stories and realizing that we addicts are not alone!!

Pab, that was one powerful sentence. Thanks for helping me to realize all the progress I have made. I hope and pray the same things happen for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum! I didn't find this place until I had been on suboxone for 2 years already and sure wish I had found it sooner. It's been a great help to me. I hope you find the same.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum pap. We have a great group of people here and I hope you find as much help and inspiration as I have.

-Jack Kornfield