It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: 1 year, yesterday
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:56 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I just realized now that I've officially been off of suboxone for one year and one day.

My journey is documented here somewhere in the "stopping suboxone" section.

I know I've all but vanished from this forum (busy!), but I wanted to let y'all know that I'm still going strong with absolutely no desire to use.

The past year has brought tremendous change, opportunity and fruitful circumstance into my life. I do not believe any of it would not have been possible if I were still a slave to a substance.

I moved. I opened a business. Life is so different, looking back on all of that turmoil genuinely feels far away. I feel fortunate to say that. I did come down with a cough a few months ago and the doctor wanted to script me hydrocodone syrup, but I declined and told him I was an addict. As I reiterated ad infinitum through my tapering process, I made a huge mental leap in wanting to get clean and am happy to report that the conviction has remained.

Not much more to say besides THANK YOU.

This forum was of great help in foraging for and requesting information. It also was (and continues to be from the looks of things) an unwavering source of support as well.

If anyone has any questions, words of encouragement, or anything else to add - please do. I'll check back on this thread intermittently over the course of the next few weeks.

If you're struggling, you can do this. I have been off my DOC for 899 days now and can't even fathom ever going back.

At the end of the day, addiction is unsustainable. Once you realize that you realize that one day you will have to stop - or it will stop you (speaking of full agonists here).

For people on sub maintenance, do what you have to do for sure, but in my opinion, my life has improved dramatically since getting off and getting my body back to its natural homeostasis. I recommend a slow, gradual, intelligent taper coupled with exercise and plenty of vitamins, minerals and nutrients. There may or may not be some useful information in my thread.

My best to everyone here. I hope you are all doing well.

Thank you again for everything, sincerely.

Post subject: Re: 1 year, yesterday
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

WOW! thanks for posting that. Gives me hope. 2 weeks sub free for me. Can't wait to say 1 year!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey broseph, thanks for coming back and updating us!!!

Congratulations on 1 year off Suboxone!!!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:08 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you trainer; thank you Romeo.

It seems most of the familiar faces I remember are less active. With that being said, Romeo, I applaud you for continuing to regularly post here and help everyone out. I know you don't have to be told this again, but you really are helping to save peoples lives.

For anyone interested in my journey, check my post history. I went from 360 mg oxy > 32mg sub > .125mg sub in about 18 months and stepped off with very very minimal discomfort. Using my knowledge, I've helped some friends and acquaintances come up with regimented plans. People seem to do better with a path.

Make a goal - write things down - exercise - take vitamins, minerals and nutrients - eat healthy - listen to your body - don't rush but hold yourself accountable - investigate the psychological genesis of your addiction.

Anyone can do it.

All the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

broseph wrote:
Thank you trainer; thank you Romeo.

It seems most of the familiar faces I remember are less active. With that being said, Romeo, I applaud you for continuing to regularly post here and help everyone out. I know you don't have to be told this again, but you really are helping to save peoples lives.

For anyone interested in my journey, check my post history. I went from 360 mg oxy > 32mg sub > .125mg sub in about 18 months and stepped off with very very minimal discomfort. Using my knowledge, I've helped some friends and acquaintances come up with regimented plans. People seem to do better with a path.

Make a goal - write things down - exercise - take vitamins, minerals and nutrients - eat healthy - listen to your body - don't rush but hold yourself accountable - investigate the psychological genesis of your addiction.

Anyone can do it.

All the best.

Wow, great success story. 360 oxy is a frikkin' monster. I had a huge H habit at one time (peaked at 200 bucks a day for several months, but of course street stuff varies compared to pharma quality control), but I think that beats it. Statistically, your odds go up greatly for remaining abstinent the remainder of your life, after a year, as you might have heard. I never liked stats much though, they can be discouraging. My Jedi mind trick was trying to look at as like flipping a coin, 50/50, with me getting to decide on whether it landed on heads or tails.

Keeping a journal is a great thing to do for many reasons. I've made stops and starts at it, need to be more consistent. Plus if I forget whether I took something (I have other meds I take for bipolar, trying to taper them some too again, and get back to more use of natural meds again, that have been clinically shown to be effective (Omega-3s, etc), plus, a disconcerting time, as I'm on pain meds also, after a fairly severe injury that on a pain scale of 1-10, was registering 11 on the Spinal Tap amplifier scale, after only about 30 days suboxone free. Its a two sided coin, pain meds wouldn't be effective if I had been on subs when it happened, but hadn't been off subs long enough for pain sensitivity to return to normal, plus I don't want the cycle to start all over again when I'm recovered from injury. I'm hoping assumed full use of my arm again will bring enough gratitude to help override any cravings and get thru any WDs/physical dependance, when doc decides its time to stop use of pain meds.

Anyway, if you can get off 360mg of oxy and then a high sub dose, and I managed to kick a serious H habit (no sub for me when I did it, it wasn't really well known nor its use wide spread at the time like it is now, and being chained to a methadone clinic everyday, wasn't all that appealing), hopefully a three or four norcos a day (been trying really hard to stick with the prescribed amount or a little less, as I do still feel some pain, since I didn't tell doc about my tolerance-although dishonest, perhaps a good thing in retrospect or I might be on much stronger stuff) should be easy, but I don't want to get cocky either, so the fears are probably healthy. I was never on more then a couple mg per day of sub for most of the time i used it, which wasn't long, when I went to it after oxys from ANOTHER serious injury last winter, than stopped without tapering (but used some comfort meds like clonodine) since I had a window of opportunity of little responsibility. Yeah, last year has made me seem like an accident prone poster child, after nearly a decade clean.

Anyway, I probably won't read your entire journey in the archives, the readers digest version is encouraging enough for me and knowing you made it a year, so thanks for checking back in on your anniversary....and congratulations!