It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:27 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello every body! I just created a membership to this website. And was amazed at all of the support and help all of the members give to others who are struggling to kick this powerful drug. I will start with a little back ground information about how I got to where I am.. (Will try to keep it as short as possible).
Started using opiates when I was 16. Started with oxy, progressed into herion. Used for roughly 3, 4 years. Did two stays at impatient and second time around finally started to click for me. About 2 years out of treatment, had a lapse of judgment and made the terrible decision to pick up again. Worst choice ever. But luckily, after about a month I knew I was in trouble so I turned to suboxone. Now it did help me get my life back together (have awesome relationship with my family, solid job for past 4 years) but as we all know, I just traded up one addiction for another. Now I have been a sub user for a little bit more than 5 years. Started at 4mg for about first year and have been on 2 mg for past 4. This last week I started to chunk off more (I use 8s and half then half again, which leaves me with 1/4 of an 8 which I then chunk a piece off of that) so been at about 1.5 averaged mg per day for past 8 days. Been feeling alright, no W/D or any thing, a little bit uncomfortable but I have a feeling that is all mental.
And I have made the decisions to get my life back. I am sick of relying on this drug to make me feel normal. It is time.
I have been reading a lot of threads about tapering and the jump. I have been trying to prepare myself mentally for this process and reading these threads has given me enormous amounts of inspiration and hope. I have written down some helpful things I have got from this forum but any one with any extra advice who had similar stories to me, please share your wisdom and experiences.. It helps incredible amounts for my confidence in my self. Heres what I got so far for distracting your mind and keeping yourself busy.
- Chamomile tea (for sleep)
- Meditation/Deep breathing exercises (for set backs/rough times, which I know there will be plenty of)
- Peaceful/Relaxing music
- Imodium (for diarrhea)
So any one that has any suggestions or ideas please do not hesitate to write! And I thank you in advance.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:37 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Also would like to add about work. Now I am planning on taking a whole week off of work for the first week I am in W/D. From what I have read, granted it varies from person to person. But after about 8 or 9 days is when you start to see real progress with W/D and sleep. My job does not require me to do any heavy lifting or be outside in extreme heat. Would any one recommend trying to work to help distract your mind and keep yourself busy. Or do the week off of work and do stuff around the house (when ever I can muster up the energy)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:43 pm 

I'm not going to reply to your thread until we get one thing straight. That type of "trading one addiction for another" crap is something they say at NA. Your problem is not that you're dependent on sub right now. Your problem is that you are an opiate addict. Your brain has been changed by opiates. Addiction is a chronic brain disorder characterized by relapse. Somewhere along the way a choice becomes less of a choice and more of a result of your brain disorder. That does not mean that you shouldn't choose recovery, but it does make the concept of "choice" less black and white. Suboxone puts your addiction into remission while you are taking it. If you decide to stop using suboxone as your recovery tool, you will need to be ready to put something else in its place. If 12 step groups are your thing, use that. Or find a therapist who specializes in addiction. Join SMART Recovery. You have options.

I want you to remember that the effectiveness of using sub (bupe) has been studied and proven. (Although there needs to be more studying done.) The effectiveness of 12 step programs is somewhere between 5-10%. That doesn't mean 12 step groups can't be useful, just that you can take some things you've learned from them with a grain of salt. No one earns a special prize for being completely opiate free. The prize is that you stay alive. Do what you need to do to stay alive.

I'm pooped, so I'll get back with your actual question tomorrow. Have a good night! :)

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:49 am 

Hi JWTLA,

Like Amy stated, that common phrase is one that gets our blood pressure up. I know you meant no harm in it and we all know what you meant. Just remember, there is huge difference between addiction and dependence. Today, you are dependent on Suboxone and not behaving like an addict. That's a good thing. Okay, that's out of the way.

You are correct, we have been getting a lot of members posting about their experiences getting off of Suboxone. If you know deep down that you're ready then go for it. What's the worst thing that can happen? Take more Sub? If you are like me and several others here, we just don't suffer too bad withdrawal effects so don't be thinking about how you feel. A large majority of it is mental just like you said. Once you've made up your mind then it shouldn't be that hard as long as you taper nice and slow.

Yes, the members here give others a lot of support so you came to the right place. Log in daily and let us know how it's going. Those who have quit already will chime in with support.

Keep a positive attitude and again, do not focus on how you feel all day long once it's in the past.

You can do it!

rule

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:51 pm 

Yes, now that is off my chest, I agree with everything Rule just said. Please use our forum to get support during your taper! You are welcome here!

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:14 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for the replys. I wasn't in any way trying to stir up controversy. And do know it is a good drug that does help a lot of people. Just don't like the fact that you get pyshically addicted to it and cannot go with it with out risk of going into W/D. I read a thread from admin about not posting asking for tapering schedules because there are lots of them out there. I did a little digging and couldn't find any threads for tapering off 2 or lower mg. Do you know where I can find this?
I am more ready now than I will ever be to get off this drug. I know I can do it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:27 pm 

I found this one: 2mg-5mg-taper-over-months-problem-t8544.html

and this: beginning-taper-t10847.html

There is a search option up at the top of the page. I would plug "2 mg taper" and see what you find. Good luck!

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:24 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

So you said it helped you get your life together. That's great. Each individual knows when enoughs enough and the time to quit for them is the present.

In my opinion, its a matter of wit and strong will. No matter how long you taper, its still going to be one of the hardest and most mentally challenging feats of your life. I've done it twice. One slow taper and one jump ct from 16 mg. And they both equally sucked.

If your life is in a good place and you have support that will help you succeed the most. This last time I took 9 days off work. Its been 30 days now and its still rough. But I have no choice to push forward.

Know what to expect and give yourself some time to heal. But don't let your feeling bad dictate your actions and thoughts. Stay busy, push forward, and know you can do this.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:48 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Id like to also add requindle lost hobbies like sports, camping, bmx, training in some kind of mma training. Keep physically fir and mentally disciplined. Read about things you enjoy and can apply in your life. Above all push yourself to your limit and make priority, discipline, honor, and pride the only way there is. The skies the limit