It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:00 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey everyone, this is my first post. I am glad I found a place where i can chat with other suboxone/subutex users.

Here is my dillemma: I have been prescribed 8mg subutex for the past year and a half. At first, I started taking 2-4 mg a day but recently have leveled off at 8 mg a day. For the past two weeks I have hit a wall where I literally cannot feel my dose. I feel like I am wasting money and pills every time I try and dose. I literally do not feel anything, not even slight watery eyes and the little zip that I would normally get after a dose. I even tried to cut my dose drastically to 1-2 mg a day and would skip a couple days before taking any sub. Even after this I still feel nothing.

I am very upset about this because the medication was working perfectly for me. I literally turned my life around, went back to school and got a 4.0 my first semester back in Junior college. Before subutext, I was a 2.2 high school student and then a Junior college dropout. I also was clean off the opies. I stopped drinking and never even took an opie over the past year and a half.

Right now, my days are long and my energy level is very low. I am also very irritable (I feel bad for my girlfriend). I've tried taking 12-16 mg's but still feel absolutely nothing. I have a doctor's appointment for my refill on Monday but I really don't think I'm going to go. I feel like it is a waste to drop the $145 visit and $$$ for my pills because it's doing nothing. My mind is constantly thinking about opiates and using again, something that hasn't been a though for the past 1.5 years. Has anyone else hit this point before? Do you have any suggestions on what I should do? The only way I will go to my appointment is if I decide to ask my doc if I can take methadone for a month or two just to be off the subs for a couple of months, but I don't think physicians can prescribe methadone for detox purposes. Thank you for taking the time to read my story.

Post subject: Subutex vs. Suboxone?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:11 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi Soobatext,
Welcome to the forum!
I am sure you will find some answers to your question out here. I can only relate to you my experience.. I have been on Suboxone for just under a year now! ( 16 mgs. /day) I feel great.. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you don't feel anything?? When I take my Suboxone I don't experience any " feelings" other than I don't feel any w/d signs and I don't desire any opiates..... That is all I want from my Rx.... I am not sure if the Subutex works differently or not? My suggestion would be to bring it up with your Dr... I don't know if this helps or not but, I wish you the best of luck in your recovery!!

God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:56 pm 
Hey Soob...welcome to the forum! I've read and reread your post. I've heard a few people say what you've said about "feeling" their Suboxone. But most people don't "feel" anything with it. That's not the idea behind the medication...not at all. It is not supposed to make you feel anything. The idea is that it will keep you from feeling physical withdrawal symptoms and keep your cravings under control. Thereby allowing you to function well, get on with your daily life, fix the mess you made of your life in active addiction, and work on all aspects of addiction recovery. I wonder if you have done anything other than suboxone to get better. Have you gotten any treatment or counseling? Do you attend any meetings? Have you learned about the disease of addiction? Have you explored the reasons you began using in the first place? Suboxone alone is not going to cure you my friend. If you are relying solely on it to stabilize your moods and keep you motivated, there is a problem. Does that make sense?
You might actually have something else going on physically. Your thyroid could be off, you may need an antidepressant, or perhaps you're nutrition isn't good or something like that. Rather than continue monkeying around with your Suboxone dose, I'd recommend discussing things with your doctor. I can almost guarantee that if you just drop your Sub, you're going to regret it greatly. You'll look back on how you feel now and decide that this feels great after cold-turkeying off of Suboxone. I would strongly advise you not to do that.
I'm not a doctor and these are just my thoughts. Please talk it over with your doctor and get more help. It sounds like you've managed to accomplish quite a lot over the last year and a half. You sure don't want to go backwards!
Let us know what happens.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:09 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi Soobatext -

You are the first post I have ever seen that said I feel nothing - kind of like in the context of - I feel the same horrible if I take it or if I don't take it.

Buprenorphine is not really going to make you 'feel' much as others stated. What might be interesting, though, is to test your theory out.

If they do nothing, then don't take them. Just a thought, my opinion. If after a week, you feel the same way as you feel now, then you'll know that for some reason you didn't need them anymore.

I agree with setmefree, strongly though. If you were somehow feeling a buzz or high from 'subutex/suboxone' and now don't... well that's addiction talking.

When I read this thread, I thought - is there ANY chance that someone gave him placebo's - like a pharmacist gone bad - put something else in the script? You would surely have had withdrawal symptoms pretty bad if they did that - the same as if you quit cold turkey.

I'd go to your doctor, pay the $145 - take your bottle of pills and have them examine them. Be sure you are getting subutex. If your pills are stamped, or have a pink cross on them like my suboxone - then I'd still go and talk to the doctor about your situation.

If I (personally-myself) suddenly felt no difference taking suboxone (that would be I didn't feel like CRAP) - I'd quit taking them and be opiate free. I'm a little concerned there is more to this story, so I'll stop here. Maybe you can share more information?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:59 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Soobatext,
Welcome, so let me recap what you are saying so I better understand you. You have been on subutex for 1.5 yrs, you have played with your dose but ultimately leveled and stuck with 8mg. And you still continue to play with your dose (skipping days here and there) to see if the initial feeling will return. Do you not see that you are displaying old addict behavior?
My questions for you are, are you doing anything else to stay clean? Meetings, therapy, online mtgs? This medication isn't supposed to give you that euphoric high you want, I really hope you know that already. What would be the purpose of a doctor giving an addict something that is going to be mood altering? The outcome would be major abuse. TO me it seems as if you are abusing your medication if you are not taking it how the doctor prescribes it, Im sure he doesn't tell you to skip a few days here and there to get the full effects of the subs. This may sound harsh but I WAS IN YOUR BOAT my first try with suboxone. I ended up doing EXACTLY what you are about to do, I stopped the medication because I thought I was wasting money, it didn't take anytime before I was back out there and using 10 fold what I had used before suboxone. Your on a slippery slope my friend, I'm not saying your not in recovery the way that you are using your meds, but I think you are just one pill away from a major relapse.
I thought too that the suboxone was supposed to fix all my problems, the depression, the mood swings, the overall emptiness I felt inside. The subs are a great tool to get you started but you have to work at recovery, Recovery is not easy, or everybody would choose recovery instead of using, its hard work and when you find yourself slacking, you could find yourself relapsing and dead.
Talk with your doctor about this, if he's experienced with addiction he will recognize the abuse. Doctors write out a dose and how to take the med for a reason, its supposed to be followed, because they are the ones with first hand knowledge of your particular case..I hope I don't seem harsh, but I have already been down this road and have first hand experience. I was lucky that I made it back and didn't die from my relapse. Im doing things much differently now, I dont expect my life to be perfect while on this medication, I've educated myself on this medication, and Im involved with my doctor. If you think Im far off the topic then I apologize but this is how I interpreted your situation. I could totally relate with you on this and I hope you can take a step back and open your eyes to whats going on. Take Care and God Bless