It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Actually, studies shared with us by Dr. Junig (see MANY of his blog posts-too many for me to list) have shown that young people are really at a higher risk of relapse if they go off suboxone - damn near 100%. So please be careful with your advice. Consider the alternative: relapse (i.e. death?). He's already an addict, that cannot be undone and locking someone in cage like an animal will not fix a thing. If you're serious, it's a barbaric suggestion.

Currently, he and his family have only limited options available for treating his addiction. Suboxone is one of the few legitimate, medical options available to safely treat opiate addiction. Oh, and being on suboxone is not reducing his chances at a "normal life". Quite the contrary, in fact - Suboxone gives him a better shot at a normal, happy life, as far as I'm concerned. He at least can taper off suboxone when he's ready, yet it's quite rare for an addict to be able to taper off their DOC and stay off it. So it's more than probable that it's suboxone or active addiction for this young man. Suboxone and the addiction remission it brings is clearly the better option over active addiction.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:57 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

You know about the long term effects of suboxone? How about on a 16 year old body? answer is no to both, but whatever not here to argue, of course my suggestion was a little barbaric, but I am dead serious about going to whatever measure to get off this stuff ASAP, face the heat, stop making excuses for everything and learn to live without this poison. Again this is my opinion, and God Damm have I fucking earned it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The op did not ask if her son should be on sub, she and him have made their decision. So how did you earn the right to come here and tell a mother how to raise HER child. Can you answer your own question? Like you I am going to assume the answer is no. So how do you know he will have any ill affects from taking sub at 16? You just say to get him off and it is poison with absolutely nothing to back it up. Why you feel the need to come here and attack a mother who is going thru a terrible time and tell her she should lock her son in a room is something I can't even comprehend.

Ayladare, I am sorry this response was posted to you. Please know you made a great choice in seeking this treatment for your son. You are giving him the best chance of staying in recovery that science currently has to offer. Also buprenorphine has been around for over 30 years and many studies have been done and it has shown itself to be a safe medication. I am happy your son is doing better and hope he continues to improve.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: x 1000
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:04 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

hatmaker510 wrote:
Actually, studies shared with us by Dr. Junig (see MANY of his blog posts-too many for me to list) have shown that young people are really at a higher risk of relapse if they go off suboxone - damn near 100%. So please be careful with your advice. Consider the alternative: relapse (i.e. death?). He's already an addict, that cannot be undone and locking someone in cage like an animal will not fix a thing. If you're serious, it's a barbaric suggestion.

Currently, he and his family have only limited options available for treating his addiction. Suboxone is one of the few legitimate, medical options available to safely treat opiate addiction. Oh, and being on suboxone is not reducing his chances at a "normal life". Quite the contrary, in fact - Suboxone gives him a better shot at a normal, happy life, as far as I'm concerned. He at least can taper off suboxone when he's ready, yet it's quite rare for an addict to be able to taper off their DOC and stay off it. So it's more than probable that it's suboxone or active addiction for this young man. Suboxone and the addiction remission it brings is clearly the better option over active addiction.

^^^ this x1000
Just my opinion, but I have earned mine, as well.

-ex-

Post subject: I'm not offended
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

by cbk1013. Everyone is entitled to express an opinion.

I'd not let anyone suffer cold turkey, but I don't want my son on sub forever. There may indeed be reprecutions down the road, but for now I'm doing what I feel gives him the best chance of having a "down the road".

I'm not making excuses. I was pissed that he got himself into this. It's not like we never talked to him about drugs. We gave him every positive opportunity/experience available. I know everyone has crap to deal with, but not everyone uses drugs to cope. In the end, anger, blame and self-pity are irrelevant. I'll not dwell on blame, anger or excuses.

I'm so impressed at how dynamic this forum is and how so many care enough to post advice and express opinions. Your a good bunch!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am glad you are such an understanding person and actually agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion, however I do not think anyone has right to tell someone else that their method of recovery is wrong. Maybe it's because I am a mother, I would not apreciate someone saying I am giving poison to my child and they would be better chained in a room. I just didn't want someone to scare you and make you second guess the recovery plan you have chosen for your son. Your son is lucky to have such an understanding supportive mom in his corner!