It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi everyone, I wanted to share a tragedy that has happened in my home town. I tried to post this in Dr. Junigs memorial thread but it wouldn't let me. A 19 year old girl named Casey in Casa Grande, AZ died of an overdose on Tuesday. She had been struggling with opiates for most of her teenage life and in the past 6 months had turned her life around. She had quit using, started college, got a job and 1 week prior to her death had moved into her 1st apartment. She was a very good friend of my cousin and she said all she could talk about was how happy she finally was. She saw she had her whole life ahead of her and was so excited to finally live it.

Monday night she relapsed on methadone and was found in her truck Tuesday morning. The coroner said she had been dead for a few hours and there was nothing anyone could have done at that point. Needless to say her family is a wreck and can't understand how this happened to their baby girl. She never even had a chance to lead an adult life and for this young girl to have lost her life is a tragedy.

I am sharing this here with the hopes that even one person could read this horror story and make the decision to get help. Opiate addiction is a horrible, deadly thing and if you are out there struggling please ask for help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for sharing this sad story with us. We need to be reminded of the horrors and tragedies of relapse. Some people on the forum have in the past said that we were too dramatic in warning people about how deadly relapses can be - that we're trying to scare people back on to suboxone or something silly like that. Well, THIS IS THE REASON we give those warnings.

Deepest condolences to her friends and family.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: SO SORRY
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:11 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

:cry: So Sorry to hear another young person dead because of this addiction. It just hurts my heart for her family and friends. You know my middle son turned 19 yesterday and I just could not imagine the hurt and pain this commuinty is enduring. I will say Prayers that GOD my comfort this family. Thanks for sharing
Mel

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It is another life lost to early bc of opiates and the worst part our country is doing nothing about it and it will continue to happen unless something changes asap. But the question is what will it take, how many more lifes are we going to let slip away?

May god bless her and the ones close to her.

Brent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Breezy_Ann, I can imagine with this tragedy hitting so close to home that you must be shaken as well, I hope you're OK.

Bboy expressed my sentiments very well. How many more must die before something is done?

My thoughts and prayers are with this young lady's family and friends.

Thanks for sharing Breezy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm sorry Breezy. It always hurts me to hear about the death of an addict, especially when they're trying to get clean, and so young. It's tough, and almost unfair, that being in early recovery actually increases our risk of overdose. I get this image in my mind of the addiction not wanting to let us go, and fighting to the death.

Around the heroin areas of my city, harm minimisation / community groups have put up posters in the back lanes that say "Had a break off the gear? Halve your hit." Those posters probably saved my life, as I was always really conscious and went slow, after some clean time. Things like that kept me alive.

But there's so much chance. I hate that world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm really sorry, Breezy. I posted a while ago that my friend's son died of an OD (age 22). It was the same thing, he was clean, in recovery, working at his Dad's business and doing well. For the first time everyone was breathing easy, not worrying about him every second. And then, boom, he was gone. It scares the shit out of me, and makes me so sad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thank you for all the prayers and condolences. To know there are so many people that have lost their lives to this horrible disease and our leaders choose to ignore it makes me so angry! How many more young people is our country going to lose before our leaders step up and face this problem? It is beyond frustrating!

Lilly I am so sorry for your friend and her son. Like you said the fact they were doing so well makes it so much worse. These poor parents finally get their child back and feel the worry is over only to lose them in the blink of an eye. It is truly horrific and I do not think I could recover from losing one of my children.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm always heartbroken to hear stories about those who die of our disease, especially those who haven't had a chance to experience the better things in life. I lost my older brother back in 2004 and there is still a giant hole left in my heart. I watched his death nearly destroy my parents. He had always had such a hard time with life. He was only 22 when he died and I have thought so many times how unfair it is when people die before getting to experience the best things that life has to offer like falling in love and or finding satisfaction from a career.

What is especially sad though about the young woman who passed away is how common her cause of death is becoming. I've known so many people who are able to stay clean a little while in 12step programs only to relapse soon after and have their use increase to points where it is increasingly difficult for them to get their lives back in order.....that is if they're lucky enough to die at the time of relapse. Sometimes I just feel so tired of hearing about how negatively opiate addiction can change people. One young woman I went to middle and highschool with has had a very difficult time staying clean from opiates. I saw her last night for the first time in awhile and although she's trying to stay clean again her time using had changed her so much physically that I could hardly believe it was her. Sometimes I just want to scream "how many of our kids, brothers, mothers, sisters, dads, spouses and friends have to die before we start taking opiate addiction seriously!?!?!?