It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: 4 year old bupe
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have a small supply of 4 year old buprenorphine. It was prescribed for my induction by a physician
who was under the misapprehension that the Naloxone might make things harder on me.

I did not go through that induction and the tablets are still in my medicine cabinet. We all know that expiration dates are often arbitrary. Anyone know about bupe. The stuff's expensive, and if possible I'd like to use it...

Many advance thanks,
G.

Post subject: Re: 4 year old bupe
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello godfrey,

Most meds if not ALL meds have expiration dates that must go on the bottles. But to be honest. They are just fine to take. I think meds are required to have an expiration date. But you could probably pick up a sub 20 years from now and still get the same effect.

I have heard that drugs lose a little of their potency as time goes on. But I , personally have been know to take some of my old subs that I have been stockpiling for the last 5 years and they are totally fine. I have never had problem.

I would use them instead of throw them out. Especially since they can be so pricey.

Good Luck !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I began yesterday with my "saving" up of sub...and I plan on saving from this point forward..
This will be film form of sub, but yesterday, I picked up my 90, just 25 days from the last time I picked up 90. My DR gave me extra to help me get a few put back in case of emergency. I am very lucky to have a DR who listens to me, and when I told her that I needed a little help, her first response was "what happened, you've done so well for a couple of years now!!"..
So I explained that I had some issues with my back and a pulled muscle..and knew I could just take a couple extra subs to help with pain...but went a little too far. I don't do dishonesty with my DR...I'd rather just be honest and tell her. I have some pretty in-depth convos with her too, the political climate and things going on with the medical community and how addiction treatment is STILL stigmatized so much and it's 2017!! She agrees with everything I usually bring up, and I can tell she isn't just telling me things to rush me along. Sometimes we've sat for 30 minutes just chatting, and she'll have a lobby full of people waiting...but I enjoy seeing her.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:56 pm 

IMO, the films would last a lot longer than any pills due to exposure to air. Back in the days of using I was given some expired Norco by about 3 years. It had little to no effect on me feeling it. It did keep my out of withdrawal but got no buzz from them no matter how many I took. And don't forget the movie The Wolf of Wall street where they took the expired ludes and it didn't hit them for over an hour.

In all actuality, we can't say for sure until you yourself take them and let us know the outcome. They may have lost some efficacy.

r

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:25 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I don't know about bupe but I have other opiates that are >10 years old (e.g. fentanyl prescribed in 2004) and seem to be just fine.
I don't know if this is true for the sublingual tablet forms of buprenorphine, but the liquid (injectable) forms can be destroyed by prolonged exposure to light. For example, my dog's bottle of Buprenex says "Excessive heat may discolor. Protect from light" and they're in a dark brown vial so that the light doesn't damage them.
But when I google 'suboxone light sensitivity' I don't get any relevant results.

I'd say 95% chance it's still good (admittedly, a number I've pulled out of my ass, but it's based on taking a lot of expired meds and never noticing a decrease in potency).

If you're well above the ceiling dose, a small drop in potency shouldn't even be noticeable. But if it were me and I were worried, I'd intersperse the old ones with new ones - the half-life is so long that an occasional tab with slightly lower potency shouldn't change your blood levels to a noticeable extent.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good advice, mouse. I think I'll do that.

rule, I just noticed that reference to that scene in Wolf of Wall Street. That movie honestly had me
laughing on the floor. I was laughing so hard my stomach muscles started to hurt. At the same time
that quaalude scene was painful. That was me. Almost paralyzed, unable to speak, utterly miserable.
It wasn't ludes, but I once took a handful of seconal washed them down with a six pack and kept complaining I want' feeling anything. I got in the car to drive home and about a half mile down the road wham, they hit me. I drove off the rode and into the woods, finally slamming into a tree.

But you know it was a different time. I could barely manage to pronounce my own name to the cops. It was
more than obvious I was fried beyond belief. But they didn't bother to arrest me. Just brought me to the hospital for stitches. I think that was the 3rd of my parents' cars that I totaled. That stuff bothers me so much more as the years go by. My father died before I could apologize properly. And my mother has dementia and barely knows who I am. Very painful.