It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:33 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello Everyone,

Since so many amazing people helped me with their inspiring stories, I figured I'd throw mine out there. If it keeps one more person going for one more day, it's time well spent!! Well here goes.

A little about my history. Started dabbling with drugs at the young age of 18. You name it, I was doing it. But mainly pot, then quickly to cocaine and oxy. It was all over after my first speedball. Quickly advanced to IV heroin use by 19 years old. After being introduced to the needle my life went downhill very fast. Lost my scholarship to PSU and quit my job. By the age of 20 I had already overdosed twice. Both times found by my own mother. What a disgrace I was!! I know in my heart the third time would have killed me. My mother begged me to get help after the first time but I didn't listen. After the second overdose, the pain I was causing to my family finally over powered the drugs in my brain. I got into a rehab center the next day. Decided to then go on suboxone after rehab for a while so I can fix my broken life.

After getting on suboxone I got my butt back into college as quickly as possible. For the first time in years, I can function without getting high. I hit the weights and the books as hard as I could. Prior to drug abuse I was bodybuilder and a pretty damn good athlete. I eventually graduated with a high GPA, and now work for a major corporation making a six figure salary at 32 years old. While in school I also met my fiancé who I love and adore. We've been together for 11 years now and we couldn't be any happier. She's been so understanding and supportive about my past. My mother and fiancé truly saved my life! Life couldn't get any better except for one thing, I need to finally get off suboxone. It's the final piece to my puzzle. I'm tired of being a slave to a chemical.

After 12 years of suboxone use, as of today I'm 13 days suboxone free!! I'm still in the acute phase but I'm over the hump and it's getting easier everyday. I mentally feel better than I have in a long time and it's so early in the game for me. I realize that I have many months to go, but I'm just so happy today because of how far I have come!!! I guess you can say I have a love/hate relationship with suboxone.

The only regret that I have with suboxone is that I didn't stop a little sooner. I became complacent and kept kicking the can down the road, putting unnecessary wear and tear on my brain and body. I recommend to anyone who is on suboxone, once your life is stable and your confident you won't relapse, kick the suboxone. Don't wait as long as I did. Suboxone has saved many lives, but please don't ever let anyone tell you that your broken and that you need to be on this stuff for life. Even though it's a wonderful drug, it's also a multi billion dollar a year corporation. Allot of doctors prescribing this stuff long term don't have our best interests at heart.

In closing, if I can kick suboxone, anyone can. Yes it's hard, yes it's painful, but it's worth it, and your worth it!!! Do it for your family, your kids, and most importantly yourself! Everyone deserves a shot at a drug free life!!

I apologize if I put anyone to sleep lol.

Stay strong, reach out to me if I can ever help anyone.

James

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:26 am 

Hi James, Congratulations on your success story. You have come a long way and have so much to be proud of. I think everyone's journey and experience with suboxone is their own. Each person is so different and I believe that is why we read so many different stories about people's relationship with suboxone. I know for me, it is helping with addiction, pain, and depression. I have tapered to 6mgs and would like to go lower. I don't know when that will happen. I have just kind of followed my brain's lead, if that makes sense! I do see suboxone as a tool. I think each of us will use the tool for as long as we need it. I am grateful that this tool was available to me at a time when I needed it most! Please, keep us updated on your success!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:39 pm 

Welcome, James!

Thank you for sharing your story! 12 years is a long time to be on suboxone, but I'm glad that you were able to make the determination that you did not need it anymore. I hope to reach that point myself someday, but if I don't I will remain satisfied being on bupe. It was so scary feeling an out of control obsession! I would never want to go back there.

May you have continued success!

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:57 pm 

I think it's awesome that ur following what's best for u and now sub free. I absolutely support anyone who is ready to live their life without sub and I think it's inspiring to others. I also think that everyone is different in their journey. I'm one of those ppl that could possibly be a lifer. I truly believe that there's ppl who can totally make it without sub and there's also ppl like myself that may never be able to be completely off of it. It's hard to explain it but that's how I feel about it. There's some ppl who can stop using by attending NA and the twelve steps, there's ppl that go to rehab and stop using....there's different ways for each person that works for one but not the next, that's kinda how I feel about some who can get their lives stable on sub and can stop and be ok while others need to be on it permanently. I personally tried several detox, inpatient rehab, NA and nothing even remotely helped me with obsessing and craving to the point of relapse. Suboxone is the only thing that has helped save my life.

Sorry for rambling, again I just wanted to say that ur journey is inspiring and I'm glad u shared it with us. Just keep in mind that we're all addicts, while all journeys are different, we all need support :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:56 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Many congrats on getting off Subs after 12 years! I have been on it over 7 years and I'm tapering myself. I know how easy it is to become complacent on it and the decision to start a taper is a big mental hurdle!
You didn't elaborate on how you kicked subs. How long was your taper? How did you do the decreases? I would be really interested to know how you did it!

Please come back and let us know how you are doing at 30 days, 60 days, 6 months, etc....It's a good read and inspiration to see that people made it :)

1.1.15 - 8 mg/day
1.24.15 - 6 mgs/day
3.6.15 - 4 mg/day
3.22.15 - 3 mg/day
5.3.15- 2 mg/day
5.17.15 - 1.5 mg/day
5.29.15 - 1 mg/day
6.16.15 - .8 mg/day
12.18.15 - 4 mg
12.28.15 - 2 mg
1.10.16 - 1.5 mg
1.21.16 - 1 mg