It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Yeah Dr. Phil! (Sort of)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just got done watching the Tuesday, March 16, 2010, Dr. Phil show and am happy to report that Suboxone was actually mentioned and not degraded. The show was about the epidemic of prescription drug abuse and included two families going through this problem with their young adult children. In the second half of the show (at about the 37 minute mark) the guest said that he has been "clean" for about 90 days and was taking the drug Suboxone. Dr. Phil actually brought up the Suboxone part and unlike Dr. Drew and others recently, nothing degrading was said about Suboxone being in the picture. Now, without a doubt, it would have been much better if they would have explored, talking about, or in any way expanded apon what Suboxone is, I was pretty excited to just see the show accept and seemingly support and affirm that "being clean" can include being on Suboxone. In fact, the guest did admit that he still smokes pot and that was taken to task. Thankfully, the use of Suboxone was not.

I can only hope that perhaps this is a baby step toward the national media and television supporting Suboxone-based treatment. In general, Dr. Phil really did seem to "get it" and made statements to the effect that these addicts could not stop if they wanted to and if they tried they would get extremely sick - "sick beyond belief" - I think was his words.

If anyone else saw the show I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts and comments about it. They also talked about a documentry called the "Oxycontin Express" (I think that was the title) Has anyone seen or heard anything about it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

donh,

You mean this?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s96bjW6FYdU[/youtube]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am starting to get this sense that the US may come around to suboxone pretty soon and that it will become far more accepted. We all really don't have a choice because the opiate addictions aren't going away and this is the best thing we have. I am glad Dr. Phil put it on. I am sure he didn't feel comfortable enough to totally support it as it could ruin his career, but I appreciate him exposing it and getting it out there. By next year or the one after maybe he will support it openly.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's the one Jamez. I just got done watching the full documentary. It was even somewhat surprising for me to watch. I was so excited having seen the Dr. Phil show that I posted a bit too quick. I should have held off a bit more and taken a look at the Oxycontin Express show and the final segment of the Dr. Phil show befor posting. I'm now thinking that today's Dr. Phil show may have been a repeat from last October. In fact, I am pretty sure it originally aired while I was in detox myself!!! The Oxycontin Express aired for the first time later that night.

On the plus side, the word "Epidemic" continues to be used over and over and over again in some of these shows. The deaths of people like Corey Haim (most recently) are also helping to shed more and more light on what a real crises this disease truly is. I can only hope that they will soon start to admit that the way we have been treating it (without meds like Suboxone) are just simply not working and we need to try and accept other treatment methods. In a way, it's sad that I'm so excited simply because Suboxone was not "trashed" by either of these shows.