It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Yay! I did it! :)
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just wanted to share that I went for my induction today. Woohoo! What an experience. Last night I was in pretty bad withdrawals not having had any pills since 6 a.m. yesterday morning (my w/d's start after 8-10 hours) so by 10:00 last night I was feeling pretty rough. I took the Clonidine my doc had gave me along with a neurontin I had from awhile back when I was having bad nerve pain. I also took some Immodium and Melatonin and knocked myself out. This morning I woke up feeling pretty good...way better than I expected to after 29 hours since my last pills. I really credit that to the Neurontin and the Clonidine and I know that when the time comes to taper off the Sub I will for sure utilize those again. By time for my appt with the doc my withdrawals had increased but still not as bad as I had anticipated. So she had me wait a couple more hours and by that time I was primed and ready....feeling like hell. She gave me 1/2 of an 8 mg film and I swear I thought it was psychosomatic and that my brain was playing tricks on me because before it even felt completely melted I was already feeling human again. After 10 minutes I felt blissfully "normal". Not high, slightly euphoric, but I think the euphoria was because I felt "normal" for the first time in so long. I wanted to hug her and almost skipped out of her office I was so happy with the results. Haha. So I noticed after about an hour I had a headache; not severe but pretty annoying. I took a couple of Excedrin and that knocked it right out. She told me to take the other half of the strip tonight so I did, but oddly that one seemed to give me a bit of a buzz. Not really a pleasant buzz either; kind of like a nasty morphine (I hate morphine) kind of buzz. I got real hot and sweaty, but that went away after about an hour. Now I feel pleasantly "normal" again. The doctor prescribed me 16 mg a day, 2 8 mg films split and taken at 4 times throughout the day. She said the reason for dosing like that is that's the best method for controlling my chronic back pain. After doing so well on just 8 mg today though I'm not sure that I really need 16 mg a day. What do y'all think? I'm thinking 16 would almost make me sick just judging by the way the 2nd 4mg dose made me feel tonight. I want to follow her instructions but I'm just not sure that much is necessary for me and I definitely don't want to take anymore than necessary as my goal is to try and ween myself off within a year or so.

And so now the really hard work begins and that is dealing with the root of my addiction. I have to attend group therapy and then individual therapy at the clinic where my psychiatrist is and I'm great with that. I'd also like to attend a 12 step program but am a little gun shy with NA knowing their position on DRT. Is anyone familiar with SMART and if so what is your opinion/thoughts about it?

Thanks everyone for your support up to this point. I'm so grateful that this drug is available. So far I've not had one craving since my first dose...just out of habit I have had a couple of random thoughts about pills but it passed quickly. That to me after 7 years of gobbling those nasty soul suckers is nothing short of miraculous and I am one grateful gal tonight! :) Oh, I almost forgot to mention that I have had the least amount of back pain since my induction than I have experienced in years. I am incredibly happy about that because I really didn't anticipate that at all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yay! You did it! :)

I've been kinda keeping an eye out for you to post again, I'm so glad you updated us.

As far as taking the entire 16mg.....I hate to contradict your doctor because I'm obviously no doctor, I'm just some ding dong on a forum, but I'd suggest you take what you feel like you need. If that turns out to be 8mg, that's great, if it's 12mg a day, that's great too.

I'm glad to hear you're so positive about your therapy too, I screwed around with my therapy during my Suboxone treatment and didn't do myself any favors by doing that.

Congratulations on your big step into recovery!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:01 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Congrats Big Time, You know this is the Right Thing to do to get off of the Pill Withdrawal go-round. The first week is the worst, but ever so slightly day by day it gets better. Everyone is different on their Suboxone dose they should take depending on What you were taking before and How Much of it. I'm with Romeo all I know is what I am going thru and there is no way that could ever equate to your or anyone else's situation. If you like and feel you can trust your Doctor, then listen to their recommendations. Some people it takes more Sub and others it takes less, everyone is different. I am glad that you felt Great when you first took your first Suboxone Dose, it didn't happen that way for me and for the most part it doesn't work like that for first timers. That might bring on a thought process that might not be that Healthy here right at the early going of the Suboxone, none of us need a False sense of security. We all have allot of work ahead of us. I am on Day 10 and still feel like crap, not terrible but not good either. So it is so hard to judge How Much to Take, it is impossible, all you can do is guess and hope that you get it right. I know that the best route to take is to stick to one dose, let it stabilize you, and I mean fully stabilize not only your Chemical need but then your MindSet too. But again, A Big Pat on Your Back for taking that Huge First Step toward the Freedom away from the Narcotics and getting back the Control over your Life !

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey, congrats on getting treatment! I felt so relieved within 10 minutes of taking my first sub too, and the first couple of days I got the euphoria feeling as well. It goes away after a couple of days though. I also got the headaches really bad the first week, and they got so bad that I had nausea and threw up a couple of times. They were a different type of headache than I've ever had. I had to walk very slowly and couln't move my eyeballs without my head hurting. I learned on this forum to spit out the excess saliva that accumulates in your mouth about 15 min or so after the film melts, so you don't swallow the naloxone. Doing this stopped the headaches for me. I still get one from time to time, but as soon as I feel this type of headache coming on, I take an Aleve and that cures it.

I was also surprised about how well the sub almost took away my pain that I've had for 20 years. I was only taking sub for addiction, but it ended up helping me a lot with pain and depression. My dr prescribed 24mg for me, but I found that I only needed 1 film or less, and that's what I stuck to. When I went back for my follow up appt a couple weeks later, the dr was pleased that I was doing so well on only a third of what he prescribed.

If you find that 8mg keeps your withdrawal and cravings away, I think it's fine to just stick with that. You can always increase your dose later if you find that this amount is not helping anymore. Good luck, and let us know what you decide.