It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: xanax and suboxone
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been prescribed suboxone for 3 months now and have not slipped on opiates at all however i have been taking some xanax 0.5 mgs. I used to be prescribed xanax by my regular physician but now buy them off the street occasionally. My suboxone doctor does not feel I need any benzos for anxiety. I take the xanax however to relieve the tension in my muscles in my neck and back. I played alot of sports when I was younger and now my body pays for it now at the age of 26. If I do not take any xanax my back is completely tight from my shoulders down to my heal of my leg (sciatica). I went to a massage therapist who has been in the business for 30 years and she said I had one of the tighest backs she has ever felt and told me I should be prescribed something like xanax to relieve muscle spams. at most I take 1mg of xanax a day. .5mg in the morning and .5mg at night. What should I do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'll be glad to give you my take on your question and my suggestions. I do see that you have posted the exact same question in multiple locations. This is not a very good idea as it splits the responses and just in general confuses readers. Please just post your questions once and then give everyone some time to respond. It may take a day or two to get some responses.

As for the whole Xanax issue. To begin with, taking a Benzo - which is a sedative - to treat muscle spasms/issues makes little sense. If you truly do have a "tight back" or muscle issues, a muscle relaxer is the potential drug to consider. Why on earth a massage therapist would tell you to take Xanax - or honestly, tell you to take any medication, is beyond me. That is way outside of his/her scope of practice and clearly not a part of their training. I would seriously question any massage therapist who told you this. So, my point is: if you truly do need medication, a muscle relaxer is much more in the class of what you MAY need - not a sedative/benzo - especially not Xanax. What will actually help you a lot more is exercise. You may need to try some physical therapy so they can teach you exercises that will help you. Plus, at 26... seriously??? What will you do when your "old" like say 46 or 56? You are way too young to be taking medication for sports injuries. You are much better off looking at other methods and remedies.

I agree with your doctor - as do many others. Long term Xanax is rarely a good idea. When combined with opiates, including Suboxone, it's an even worse idea. When given to someone who already is an addict, its even a worse idea. Your doctor has this one right.

Is it possible that the addict in you is using the muscle pain as an excuse for the Xanax? That happens to a lot of us. We look for reasons/excuses to use, to feel different, to feel better, to turn to a chemical or substance rather than just deal with it.

The fact that you are asking tells me you likely have a hunch this is not a good idea already. You should be very proud of yourself for that. Getting hooked on benzos and having to detox off of something like Xanax is said to be harder than opiates. It's just not a road you want to continue to head down. You may already need help to get off of them. I hope that is not the case. I really apploud you for asking for input. It's a wonderful first step.

Anyhow, my suggestion is that you stop the Xanax, address whatever issues are going on with your body and if exercise and physical therapy won't do the trick, perhaps you can talk with your doc about a muscle relaxer in place of the Xanax.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for your response. I am new to this site and wont post in two different spots again. I have taken muscle relaxers before in college and they only made my muscles tighter for some reason. I am not addicted to xanax and the moment i have only taken 3mgs total in the last year. From playing sports like I did so intensly I already have problems that I am starting to deal with. I have no cartilage in my knees and other problems with muscle tightness in my back and neck.

I just thought maybe a low dose of xanax like .5mg would have relieve the tension in my neck. I will try to find a different solution for my muscle tightness and discontinue my use of xanax. I know I am an addict

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:46 pm 
Hi tlong and welcome. You asked a good question....something that comes up fairly often around here - re: Suboxone and benzos.
donh has already given you spot-on advice and information and I agree with his response entirely. A muscle relaxer would be much more appropriate. I'm kind of like you, I guess, in that most muscle relaxers which typically seem to be effective for others (such as Flexeril) never seemed to do much for me either. However, there are many newer ones on the market now and it may just be a matter of finding one that works for you.....IF such a medication is really necessary to begin with. Try all your other avenues first.....physical therapy, heat/cold therapy, etc, etc. and keep up with the massages (but don't accept medical advice from your massage therapist! lol) Actually, I do know of several cases in which a patient was prescribed a benzo legitimately for back spasms....each time it was Valium however, not Xanax. Anyway...I certainly wouldn't advocate that for an addict....of any kind.
I think you get the gist....stay away from the benzos, friend....just not a good idea for us. I know, I know....they've never 'done it' for me either and I would venture to say I'd be shocked if I could ever have a 'problem' with them! BUT, knowing what we know and having been where we've been.....any potentially addictive substance should be avoided like the plague for us!!
Good luck and hope you feel better soon!

Post subject: Xanax
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:39 pm 

My doctor made me sign a contract promising not to take any benzo's. If you read the information on Suboxone it states that it does not mix well with benzo's and is not recommended. He also said that if I break the contract I'm done being treated by him.

Like you, I find great relief from Xanax. But also being an addict I looked forward to "that feeling" of the tranquilizer effect. So being someone who is now in recovery, I don't take it anymore. That's that. I hope you can find some other way to relax those muscles.

26? I'm 56 and carried mail for 25 years. Let's not even talk about physical illness's. I love the jacuzzi best of all. Try that, it's better than a massage.

Oh yea, welcome to the site and I wish you the very best on your road to recovery!

Tom

Post subject: Re: xanax and suboxone
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:02 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello, I am internal medicine physician and have been certified to treat patients using Suboxone therapy for over 8 years. First point I'd like to address is xanax(alprazolam), valium(diazapam), klonopin(clonazepam) and many other drugs in the benzodiazepines Clas of drugs are used to treat muscle spasms and happen to be far superior to nonnnarcotic muscle relaxers. There are a number of uses for benzodiazepines besides the treatment of anxiety. If used as directed by your physician benzodiazepines can be very effective in the treatment of lower lumbar problems that present in sciatica pain In many patients. However, the use of most benzodiazepines among patients undergoing Suboxone therapy is highly frowned upon by their own physicians. As far as my own patients there is one benzodiazepine I commonly use if in my professional opinion the patient presents the appropriate symptoms that warrant its use. I've found the use of klonopin. 5mg taken bid to be perfectly safe and effective. I've also found that the majority of my colleagues agree with this assessment. HOWEVER, THE INFORMATION ABOVE IS MY OPINION AND IN NO WAY SHOULD BE SUBSTITUTED FOR THE ADVICE OF YOUR PERSON PHYSCIAN AND US IN NO WAY INTENDED TO BE USED AS SUCH.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'd be in a coma if I took 5mg of Klonopin twice daily...I remember when I took 2 1mg Klonopins back in 2009..I got a script because I was having some severe anxiety issues..and I don't mean anxiety like "I'm bored, there's nothing to do". I mean anxiety, like, my wife and I split because of my pill habit..and during the time we were "split", I moved a girl in with me...so, in 2009, I was with my wife again, and working on us and recovery..and this girl and her mom decided to harass the shit out of me...They would randomly show up at my house, accusing me of hiding a big TV, washer & dryer, and laptop that the girl bought for me while she lived here. When she left, she wanted to clean me out, even though she lived here for nearly a year and attributed to the household by purchasing some of the appliances...I gave her the most expensive things back...and kept the TV and laptop...she took the washer and dryer, and the other laptop she bought herself... It really caused me some serious anxiety issues. I would sit here every day, wondering who was coming up the drive...we would often turn lights out in the middle of the day and stay in the bedroom...and I'd catch myself watching the road for cars to turn in...just really drove me nuts. I couldn't stop thinking about it, afraid someone was gonna knock on the door. at any rate, I got Klonopin for the issues I had..after a couple months, I just said "hell with this, I'm not living in fear of ex coming back"...and quit communicating with them at all.
But during the time I DID take klonopin...I was out of it. Even at half of a 1mg tablet daily...
I took 2 pills, within 10 minutes of each other ONCE. During that episode...I went outside, sat a fire, came back in and went to sleep. My wife came and asked "Did you set the fire outside?"...my reply was "no, I did that a couple weeks ago"...
It honestly felt like a dream...and like I had vague memories of setting a fire weeks prior..not just minutes prior.

5mg of klonopin??? Sounds WAY too high.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:38 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I think people make to big of a deal with people on Suboxone Maintaince taking benzo's. I'm not prescribed them but has always battled with anxiety(didn't ever leave the apartement for a while, talk to people etc..) then I found opiates,lol. I am worried about the next appointment because I was to sick to read the contract I signed honestly and never bothered to ask my doc for any benzo because I figeured it would be a big fat no, but have never failed a drug test but might this time(also, i missed my appointment, I had got written a pre-dated script and I guese because I usually take 1 or 1 1/2 a day it added up and then my insurace wouldn't cover it until 3 days before my appointment,so I didn't go because I had a full months worth plus some,dumb I know)...

Anyway, when I am getting a strong urge to use it's usually caused by anxiety, and I find taking 1-2 mg of xanax or klonopin stops the anxiety and me wanting to go do a big shot of whatever opiate I can find. BUT to your question, xanax isn't used for any muscle relaxation at all, the two benzo's that are, are Klonopin and Valium. Maybe the xanax is just helping you relax or something but, ya those are the two that have muscle relaxation properties. If you are on maintaince tho be careful, Valium stays in your system for like two weeks with single use(why I might fail the drug test), and klonopin for a week. If you take valium on a semi-regular basis it can stay in your system up to 4-8 weeks...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:40 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I actually started a topic like this a while back, as I've dealt with anxiety issues before, during, and after active addiction. Anxiety fed my addiction and vice versa. I've tried many meds for it, even thinking outside the box type of solutions. Most other meds didn't work, others had varying results but mostly meds/solutions with any effectiveness were short-lived results, or something that I just couldn't do all the time for that reason or others. Smoking weed can help or make it worse and that really depends on the strain. With a good strain for it, like I said, it wasn't a solution I could use all the time and maintain my lifestyle. I'm not good with being stoned in public, couldn't do it and then go to work, and most of the time I hate smoking during the day, it adds to my fatigue and it feels like a mental fatigue as well. I've responded well to being on benzos for short periods of time, even in the smallest doses. Flexeril helps, but knocks me out so I can only take it before bed. I did try talking to my doctor about going on benzo anxiety meds again when I was dealing with some horrible personal shit I'd rather not get into, but he declined saying it may or may not be the best thing for me, but he would rather have someone who specializes in psychiatry make that assessment, so he usually avoids prescribing that to any of his patients. I live somewhere else now and I've been doing better, but it's not easy and for the times that it is bad, I wish I knew of a doctor who thought that way and could understand just how necessary the people in my life who have to be around me know it is at times. I'm actually kinda scared right now because even though it's been better since we moved here, sometimes I feel it going slightly downhill again with the amount of time I spend alone in the condo everyday. I came up here with a job but they gave me the runaround for a week when I tried calling to find out when I worked next, and they told me business is really dead and they just don't have any shifts to offer anyone. I know it wasn't anything I did wrong because people quit left and right during the time I worked there and they had trouble keeping anyone truly competent. Yeah, everyone in my life is pretty sure they're just using everyone who's come through there for cheap labor not paying them for their first day of training. Fucked up. Now I don't have a job and places are telling me they've hired for the summer, and I could've spent that week thinking I still had a job hunting for one. Fucked up. This is a vacation/beach town where a lot of immigrants come through, lots of immigrants worked there in the time I was there and probably get put through the same thing and idk what happens to them if they're here on a work visa thinking they have a job until they don't. Fucked up. Yeah end rant my bad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:10 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Went on xanax four years ago. I would stay away from that sht. I'm 6 months off after a 6 month taper, and i experience terrible dizziness, along with bouts of compulsive tendincies. I have weeks when i feel normal, then i'll have full blown sx for a month. Take my word for it, xanax is a dead end.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

First off, old school valium is probably the best benzo to be used for a muscle relaxant. It's really wide spectrum, so treats a variety of ailments compared to the new generation of refined benzos, targeted for specific ailments, mostly anxiety, but other things, such as klonopin, which was primarily designed to be used for epileptic seizures. Also, xanax is probably the most addicting of the benzos, being a very fast acting, short half life benzo, which puts a person on a roller coaster if they don't take them frequently. Valium is very long acting, so less of the roller coaster syndrome, and if you look up the "Ashton" program for tapering off of a dependence to benzos, it suggests a gradual switch to valium from one's current benzo, than a taper from valium.

Lyrica is a better option than benzos for anxiety and as an opiate detox med. It can be habit forming, but not nearly as much as benzos. But I have no idea if it would help with muscle relaxation, probably not, but see this wiki entry anyhow: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pregabalin

Insofar as actual muscle relaxers? You mention a paradoxical effect from taking one that made your condition worse? Were any others tried? There is a variety of them; Flexeril, Baclofen, Soma, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

jonathanm1978 wrote:
I'd be in a coma if I took 5mg of Klonopin twice daily..

[...]

5mg of klonopin??? Sounds WAY too high.

She or he probably made a typo and meant .5 mg (typing "0.5 mg" is even better to make sure it is clear for a reader), which is the most common starting dose of klonopin.

A Dr's typing is almost as bad as their inscrutable hand writing, sometimes. It's probably the most difficult part of a pharmacist's job, deciphering their scribblings :lol: