It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:34 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm trying to find other people who have been taking Suboxone who have noticed accelerated aging, or wrinkling. It's weird, not natural. I must have aged 10 years in the last six months. Looking in the mirror is scary. Who is that woman???

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:50 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I don't know. You might want to go to your gp about that. I've had the exact opposite. I look a lot better, because now I'm taking better care of myself, not just chasing a high. Good luck though.

You know, I just thought of something else so I'm editing this. Endocrine issues from your addiction (the one that you are taking sub to correct) can have an impact on your skin. If you have been battling addiction for longer than a year it's definitely something to get checked out. But it's not the sub that does it, it's the drugs you took before.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:56 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Say! Thanks for your comment. Since I wrote I've done a lot of research and seen my ENT, a terrific woman who saw immediately what was going on. Here's the deal. She said that it IS the suboxone, but not alone. The suboxone came after a three year battle with other opiates that I had been prescribed for intense pain of Sciatica and then the side effects of Fosomax (oh yeah. They're being sued, too). Just as I'd suspected, there are a different set of side effects that happen on Suboxone after you've been on it for a while, so that the initial side effects that are listed with the pharmaceutical co.'s informational literature that comes with the prescription is incomplete. Doc Amazing said that opiates in general have a drying effect. After a while that drying effect starts to have a more systemic effect. For me, when I switched over to the Suboxone to get rid of the Morphine I'd have had to be on, it was really a step UP since Suboxone is so much more intense than the other opiates. It just tipped me over the edge into the more systemic drying to the point that she diagnosed me with a sort of simulated or mimicked version of Sjogren's Syndrome. No saliva, swollen parotid glands, dry mouth, sinuses, nose, inner ear, lymph system, skin and even after a while the internal organs start to be affected. I'm not there yet. When I told her the cascading plethora of symptoms and described what I thought was accelerated aging, she said, "That's your skin drying up. You're losing all the water. It's dehydration on a different level than usual. It's more like desiccation. Don't worry, it'll all go away when you plump up." I loved that little comment, "plump up". It made it all sound so simple, so reversible. Anyway, she has me on a blitzkrieg of hydrating methods: lots of water, even more water, still more water, spraying the sinuses with saline solution, large daily doses of Mucinex, etc. etc.. This will take a while. It's ironic really. I never wanted to go on the morphine. Just the word scared me. And then when the pain had been vanquished, I sought a method to detox and wound up with a doctor who favors long term use of Suboxone. I didn't know about that until it seemed it was taking such a long time and she argued with me about getting off the stuff ASAP, well, as fast as is SAFE and without withdrawal (I am SO afraid of withdrawal!). When I repeated to the Subox Doc what the ENT had said, she was very cooperative. But it was the lengthy duration of the Suboxone therapy that got me into trouble…..not so much the Suboxone by itself. Damn! What a ride! When I add it up it's been four or five years I've spent dealing with this phase of my life. What a waste.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:47 am 

I haven't experienced this myself, even on the arid plains of Colorado. I will say that I inherited my mother's rather firm skin. One thing I have to ask, and it's pretty obvious. Do you smoke? I've never seen people age more quickly than when they smoke.

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:18 pm 

How about just tapering down to a very low level to see if the symptoms disappear?

Keep us posted on how it goes. Funny, I've never heard of drying out before. Anything is possible I guess.

Plump up, will ya? :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just wondering if you drink enough water? Do you smoke? The combo of not drinking enough water and smoking will do a number on your skin.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:02 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Ccleelee wrote:
I don't know. You might want to go to your gp about that. I've had the exact opposite. I look a lot better, because now I'm taking better care of myself, not just chasing a high. Good luck though.

You know, I just thought of something else so I'm editing this. Endocrine issues from your addiction (the one that you are taking sub to correct) can have an impact on your skin. If you have been battling addiction for longer than a year it's definitely something to get checked out. But it's not the sub that does it, it's the drugs you took before.

I agree with Clee.
Since starting suboxone, I look so much better. I've begun to take care of myself again. I work out now, & eat much healthier. I also take much better care of my personal grooming, & worry about my appearance again. Before I went days without showering, & I didn't give a damn about how I looked. My skin is finally clearing up from it all.
However, I am only 20. Drugs didn't really age my looks, they just damaged my body. I am lucky that I am young and still have a lot of time to recuperate. I'd ask your doctor or OBGYN for sure!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:58 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello. I'm the original poster on this subject. A few people have asked if I smoke and if I'm drinking enough water. So here's the dope (sorry). About smoking: Nope. Never ever smoked. Just being in the same general galactic quadrant with tobacco smoke and I'm miserable. I'm the one covering my mouth and nose with my hand and trying not to be too obnoxious about it. Not just first person singular: no one in the household smokes, and there are five of us, so not even second hand smoke. I knew about what smoking does to your skin too. And water: this is kind of coincidental. I've got a urinary tract problem and used to get bladder infections one after the other. Sometimes it backed up into my kidneys. Not good. On advice from both an urologist and a nephrologist, I've been on a program of drinking tons of water every day to dilute urine in the bladder. It's uncomfortable to say the least to drink so much water, but I've gotten used to it. Having such great answers to those two questions felt silly. You're all so right about both things! Anyway, as I posted, my ENT really nailed the cause and the process immediately. But here's something I nearly forgot. Because of the constipating effects of opiates, I'd been taking Miralax™ every day. That's the worst thing ever for dried up skin. The way it works is by pulling the water out of the rest of the body and pouring it into the intestines. When I remembered that little detail, I dropped the laxative right away. I'm still trying to adjust. But then I've come down considerably on the Suboxone. So. I'm looking back up at this post and it occurred to me: I talk too much. I write too much. Hmmm. I wonder if I'm maybe lonely or something. ya think?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:25 pm 

You're cute! You're not even close to being talkative around here! :)

I have heard the same thing about miralax. Have you noticed a difference since you stopped taking that? I don't disbelieve you or your ENT, but I have a feeling that if this is a side effect from sub that it's not super common.

One factor that I kind of brought up was genetics. Did anyone else in your family notice a sudden onset of wrinkly skin at a certain age? Also, how careful have you been about sun protection? I was just wondering if you and your ENT have also considered these factors.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

That is weird you mention this. I was telling my mom the other day that I looked like I had aged so much in the past year or so. And now that you bring this up.....I have been on subutex for about a year and a half. Hmmmm...wondering if there is a connection. Could be old age. I just turned 31 this past July. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If 31 is old age, then I must be ancient!! GAH!! :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Romeo wrote:
If 31 is old age, then I must be ancient!! GAH!! :)

That's right, you ARE! - you said it 'old man'!.....umm....errrr...."oops"...just recalled that I'm even older than you are!!
(never mind) :lol:

PS. Hey Jellybean, 31 is the new 21! (and 48 the new 22? lol)

Mahatma Gandhi