It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello Everyone!

I need some help. I'm gonna keep this short and leave out A LOT of details. I'm an addict. Been one for 18 years. Found a Doctor-he wanted to start me out on 24 mg. per day. He seemed genuinely interested in my life.

Next morning, took my meds-20 minutes later- WHAM!!!! I have a pounding headache in the back of my head-like someone is hitting it with a hammer. I break out in welts on various places. I start itching, my tongue swells and I find it difficult to catch my breathe. I call his office. He advises me to go to the hospital. He said he's certain that I am allergic to Naloxone. I reminded him that I didnt have insurance. I inquired about Subutex. He refused & advised me to seek a methadone clinic. He said that "Subutex is too easily abused and specially' so for someone new in treatment".

I have tried so, so much and so la-boringly to find a Dr. that will write me the Subutex. I have utilized the following: SAMHSA treatment locator, NAABT, suboxones physician finder, and called every sub. provider in the area. NO LUCK. They want more than a letter stating the "sensitivity". They want actual tests and the such. I just don't have that sort of cash.

Can ANYONE point me in the right direction? I would be willing to travel to the following states to find a Doctor that would be sympathetic with regards to this allergy: West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee and Maryland.

I am being so, so sincere here folks. I know that this is a very, very resourceful site. There are some compassionate and well-educated people on this forum.

Sorry for the long-winded post.....

Thank you everybody!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I say keep looking for a doctor to rx the Subutex. You're obviously allergic to it and your current doctor and the hospital have records of that.

So you tried NAABT.org, samhsa.gov, and suboxone.com...did you also try suboxone-directory.com (there's a link at the top of the page)? Just in case there's one doctor you missed.

You could start cold calling psychiatrists in your area. Some of them prescribe suboxone, but they just don't advertise it. You might have to make quite a few calls, but it might be worth your time.

Also, you could call your local County Community Mental Health Agency to see if they can offer you any referrals. Again, it's worth a phone call. That's what they are there for - to assist people in obtaining the help and resources that are out there.

It's horrible that doctors are so closed minded about subutex that they can so easily ignore someone's health like your doctor is doing. Nevermind the fact that all that "subutex is more easily abused" is bullshit anyway! He should be ashamed of himself. Anyway...sorry for the digression.

I hope you can find someone who will work with your specific needs. Have you asked the hospital for your records? Or will they charge you? What about your doctor? Will he charge you also? Of course, if you don't have insurance, the hospital should be sending you all of that paperwork anyway and you can get it to a new doctor, right?

Check out a few more options first before you get too frustrated. I'm also sure others will chime in with even more ideas. Hang in there and don't quit looking! Again, welcome to the forum!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Last edited by hatmaker510 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi, I am so sorry this is so hard for you, it's complete bullshit. I am in the process of relocating to North Carolina and have been referred to a Dr in Durahm. I have not seen him yet but I am on Subutex and the Dr that referred me to him said he has no problem writing a script for subutex. I have his contact info and will pm it to you in the morning (i am not at home now). I think he will be able to help you. I will get back to you ASAP!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:11 am 
OP, I am really sorry because this is such a tough situation.

It was difficult to find a doctor who wrote tex, and he says I am the only patient he writes for who isn't pregnant (I have a thyroid/metabolic issue).

If you cannot afford to check out multiple doctors (most will probably not tell you if they will give you Subutex until you go in and give them $$), I would hit the methadone clinic.

I really hope you figure things out. This situation is horribly unfair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Try your hardest to find a doctor that prescribes Subutex.

Have you got a concrete diagnosis, or a letter from your doctor? Or did they just say you're allergic to Suboxone? It does sound a lot like naloxone allergy:

Quote:
What are the possible side effects of naloxone (Narcan)?

Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat

Ask your doctor if you can show him the allergic reaction with an allergy test in his office. If you truly are sensitive to one of the ingredients in Suboxone, you may be able to create a milder, controlled allergic reaction by putting some of the Suboxone solution on your arm after scratching it. If a spot on your arm swells in front of him, he may be more convinced.

What's probably happened is that your doctor doesn't know you well enough to trust you, at this stage. I can understand if a doctor won't prescribe Subutex, if he doesn't have any evidence of what happened, or a note or phone call from a hospital. Unfortunately, many addicts lie about these kind of things. And it sucks, as it affects you & us folk who are honest.

Try your hardest to find a compassionate doctor. I have been on methadone twice, and I personally feel a much better quality of life on buprenorphine. But, if you can't get Subutex at all... Ironic's right. Methadone may be the way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Anyone??? LOL. Anyone????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:17 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Bummer. Go with methadone for now so you don't relapse.

Post subject: Please?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:10 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Dag on people - is information that secure? I understand how things roll in the dope game. You can't give someone your doctor's name. Fools get mad and pick up the phone like a back stabbing coward. I guess that being said, I do understand if there's some hesitation or reserve about telling me the name of a good doctor that will not have a problem prescribing me the Subutex. If that is the case, just make up a false email account with a fake name and email it to me. LOL. That guarantees that your name is not known. I need help guys. I'm a mess. I really don't know what to do now. This is one of the very few times in my life that I feel like I am striving to make the right choice and do what is necessary and desired but am being obstructed at every turn. I don't mean to sound like a crybaby, or someone just pulling strings for sympathy, my situation here is very real. Can someone, anyone, just be a friend, if only one time to me, and point me in the right direction? I had a hard time losing weight once. I got obsessed with it. I worked out hard, ate right, and was consistent as well as dedicated. I lost a few pounds, but after about a year I was NO WHERE near the mark that I had hoped to be at. This feels similar to that situation. No matter how hard I try and what I do, no matter how many resources I use, how many clinics that I call, physicians that I speak to, offices I visit, I cannot shed the "bad weight". I'm sorry if this seems like a rant. This board rocks and there's a wealth of information on here from some really genuine and good people. I am just reaching out.

Post subject: Re: Please? REPLY
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:17 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Mountainman wrote:
Dag on people - is information that secure? I understand how things roll in the dope game. You can't give someone your doctor's name. Fools get mad and pick up the phone like a back stabbing coward. I guess that being said, I do understand if there's some hesitation or reserve about telling me the name of a good doctor that will not have a problem prescribing me the Subutex. If that is the case, just make up a false email account with a fake name and email it to me. LOL. That guarantees that your name is not known. I need help guys. I'm a mess. I really don't know what to do now. This is one of the very few times in my life that I feel like I am striving to make the right choice and do what is necessary and desired but am being obstructed at every turn. I don't mean to sound like a crybaby, or someone just pulling strings for sympathy, my situation here is very real. Can someone, anyone, just be a friend, if only one time to me, and point me in the right direction? I had a hard time losing weight once. I got obsessed with it. I worked out hard, ate right, and was consistent as well as dedicated. I lost a few pounds, but after about a year I was NO WHERE near the mark that I had hoped to be at. This feels similar to that situation. No matter how hard I try and what I do, no matter how many resources I use, how many clinics that I call, physicians that I speak to, offices I visit, I cannot shed the "bad weight". I'm sorry if this seems like a rant. This board rocks and there's a wealth of information on here from some really genuine and good people. I am just reaching out.

Well, If you want to drive to Texas, Iwill give you the name of my doctor. He will give you subutex. His name is Dr. James Holleman and he is located in Tyler, Texas. He phone number is in the book. 'All you have to do is dial 903-555- 1212 (information) and ask for Dr. James Holleman's number. I don't think you are reading these posts correctly...Breezy has offered to give you the name of her doctor in North Carolina, she was just on her phone and could not do it until in the morning. I"m sure others would not mind giving you the name of their doctors. I am not trying to be rude at all and I really wish I could help you but I know there are doctor's out there that will give subutex. I simply said it worked better for me and zap I was on it! Keep trying, and check this post out..others will chime in and the very best of luck to you!

Slipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I pm'd you the info the next day and didn't know you never received it. I am not home now but I will send it to you again later this afternoon.

We have a great bunch here that are willing to help just about anyone. I would say the reason you have not had other responses is because they are not in the states you listed. I am most certain just about everyone here would help you if they could.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What?!?!

So someone has Dr. Mindoza's name (which is my doctor)...

They call him up and say..."HEY..DR. Mindoza...jonathanm1978 on this website said _______ and _____ and ____ about you"

And his response (you wouldn't talk to him, but likely his receptionist anyway) would be "who the hell is jonathanm1978 and we don't take informant info from internet sites, but thanks for calling and we'll make sure we keep an eye out for "jonathanm1978"....

WHY ON EARTH does it matter if someone knows dr names?

Everyone here could list their doctors name...it wouldn't make a damn at all..because we don't exactly know each others full name do we? And even if we did, most DR offices have caller ID, and if they see you calling them from North Carolina or Southern California, and you're telling them some off the wall story about how I sold my Suboxone and you think I'm abusing it, the first thing they'd say is "how do you know all of this when you live HUNDREDS of miles away?"

C'mon man, think about it a lil...I'm sure nobody here cares about giving out their doctors name..I mean really. None of us are out to "get" someone...or at least I HOPE NOT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Dude... are you okay?

Post subject: Two Names
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There are two doctors I know that dispense subutex......

One is a psychiatrist in Charlotte, NC named John Hall he is well known in Charlotte has being a proactive and supportive when it comes to suboxone or subutex. He is known to get some of the hospital rehabs in Charlotte to prescribe sub for treatment. Sorry he is not my doctor but you can google him.

There is a Dr Bakul Patel in Indianapolis, IN that also prefers to prescribe subutex to help his patients alleviate costs. He runs The Indiana Neurological Headache Clinic across from St. Vincents Hospital in North Indianapolis, In Again google him.

Hope this helps.