It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:50 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Don't usually post here, but I feel only you (my community) can connect with this situation.

Went to a new therapist today at my University (nothing related to my suboxone script) since counseling is free due to my amount of credits taken in school. Was curious to see if I could find a good therapist for the hell of it, may as well use the resource since I'll be at University for awhile.

Ugh.

I brought up being on Suboxone for 7 months and my happiness due to finally being CLEAN. Yeah, I said CLEAN. And he said congrats but...when was I getting off it?

Now, I know you're thinking, oh maybe he was simply asking to ask. But I could tell he didn't think I was clean. I mentioned how it makes me tired sometimes but thats the only bad side effect and its a small price to pay for my LIFE. And he was like, "since it makes you so tired you should look for an alternative. I mean you don't really want to be on this your whole life?"

Really.

Would you sit there and tell a person with diabetes maybe they should just not take their meds because it makes them tired. Oh, and they don't want to be on meds their whole life?

I'm tired of this. I don't know if it grows from ignorance or just this notion that addiction isn't a disease and should be shamed. I just hate it because these comments (like my therapist says) make me feel like my addiction isn't real or important. It completely undermines it and that is wrong. This belief that I should/could just stop taking suboxone cause it make me tired or oh no, I'm going to have to spend a minute of my day dissolving a tablet under my tongue for the rest of my life (oh the horror) is insulting to me. It simplifies it. It also is insulting to people who will spend their lives on meds. There is nothing wrong with being on meds for anything.

It's sad. Just wanted to share. Love you guys and thanks for always being there for me (even when you didn't know it, I love to read all your posts).

ps- If you're on suboxone, you're clean to me (for the record).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:42 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Sometimes you'll find this attitude out of misinformation or lack of understanding. Strangely, I've found in general more acceptance and open-mindedness from clinicians who aren't directly tied to the field of addiction and the standardly taught and fostered 'ideal' of total abstinence. There's exceptions, but they're few and far between it seems.

540 Greenhaven Road #201|Anoka, MN 55303
(763)250.0702
http://www.facebook.com/TpnServiceCompanies
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:20 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

SpringBreakForever wrote:
Don't usually post here, but I feel only you (my community) can connect with this situation.

Went to a new therapist today at my University (nothing related to my suboxone script) since counseling is free due to my amount of credits taken in school. Was curious to see if I could find a good therapist for the hell of it, may as well use the resource since I'll be at University for awhile.

Ugh.

I brought up being on Suboxone for 7 months and my happiness due to finally being CLEAN. Yeah, I said CLEAN. And he said congrats but...when was I getting off it?

Now, I know you're thinking, oh maybe he was simply asking to ask. But I could tell he didn't think I was clean. I mentioned how it makes me tired sometimes but thats the only bad side effect and its a small price to pay for my LIFE. And he was like, "since it makes you so tired you should look for an alternative. I mean you don't really want to be on this your whole life?"

Really.

Would you sit there and tell a person with diabetes maybe they should just not take their meds because it makes them tired. Oh, and they don't want to be on meds their whole life?

I'm tired of this. I don't know if it grows from ignorance or just this notion that addiction isn't a disease and should be shamed. I just hate it because these comments (like my therapist says) make me feel like my addiction isn't real or important. It completely undermines it and that is wrong. This belief that I should/could just stop taking suboxone cause it make me tired or oh no, I'm going to have to spend a minute of my day dissolving a tablet under my tongue for the rest of my life (oh the horror) is insulting to me. It simplifies it. It also is insulting to people who will spend their lives on meds. There is nothing wrong with being on meds for anything.

It's sad. Just wanted to share. Love you guys and thanks for always being there for me (even when you didn't know it, I love to read all your posts).

ps- If you're on suboxone, you're clean to me (for the record).

hi springbreakforever,
im in the process of trying to find a 'good' therapist but its hard to find one that honestly wants to help people. unfortunately my past experiences with bad Dr's has ruined has my trust in trying to find new one's. its hard to find a dr who actually cares about their patients and not just about how much money they can make off you. since this therapist doesn't understand addiction is a disease, he's not going to be much help to you. i think u should keep looking... :)