It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: WOW
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was watching the news yesterday and apparently the CDC has reported that enough OPR (opioid pain relievers) were prescribed last year (in the U.S.) to medicate every American adult with a standard pain treatment dose of 5 milligrams of hydrocodone (Vicodin and others) taken every four hours for a month!!

Here is the link to an article I found on the subject:

http://www.newsmaxhealth.com/health_sto ... 15067.html

I understand there aren't enough Suboxone doctors out there to treat all opiate addicts and we've discussed this topic of expanding the patient cap or eliminating the patient cap altogether, but I still believe the root of the problem is the gross overprescription of opioid pain relievers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's really interesting!

Quote:
The CDC Vital Signs report focused on opioid pain relievers, including oxycodone, methadone, and hydrocodone, better known as Vicodin, which have quadrupled in sales to pharmacies, hospitals, and doctors' offices since 1999.

Is anyone else shocked to see methadone there? Methadone is mainly prescribed for addiction pharmacotherapy, as is Suboxone. I wouldn't be surprised if they included prescriptions for Suboxone among their list of "opioid pain relievers" if they included methadone. After all, it is prescribed as a pain-reliever, and it is an opioid.

If anyone has any further information, let us know.

edit: Okay just did a bit of research:

Quote:
Finally, sales data did not include buprenorphine, an opioid primarily used for substance abuse treatment, though sometimes prescribed for pain. Its inclusion with drugs primarily used to treat pain would have inappropriately increased sales rates.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6043a4.htm?s_cid=mm6043a4_w

I suppose it comes down to the fact it's easier to overdose on methadone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I dont find this the least bit suprising at all. I think if they knew the true number of this figure it would be enough to medicate everyone in china. And this number is only going up unless we as america do something about it. I mean did they really think putting a jel in oxys if crushed would stop addicts from using? In the long run after talking with numerous addicts in recovery and counselors this only made things worst bc you had kids snorting ocs who now shoot up heroine, in the long run at least they knew what was in ocs vs. All the shit thats in heroine that suburb kids are getting. The average bag of heroine in the usa is not even 3% anymore.

I know this will sound crazy but i think that certain painkillers should be taken okf the market. Some are just over kill!!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Bboy42287 wrote:
I dont find this the least bit suprising at all. I think if they knew the true number of this figure it would be enough to medicate everyone in china. And this number is only going up unless we as america do something about it. I mean did they really think putting a jel in oxys if crushed would stop addicts from using? In the long run after talking with numerous addicts in recovery and counselors this only made things worst bc you had kids snorting ocs who now shoot up heroine, in the long run at least they knew what was in ocs vs. All the shit thats in heroine that suburb kids are getting. The average bag of heroine in the usa is not even 3% anymore.

I know this will sound crazy but i think that certain painkillers should be taken okf the market. Some are just over kill!!!

While I agree that opiates are way over prescribed I don't think the answer is taking some off the market. There are people who require these meds to have any quality of life and do not become addicts. I have used my grandmother as an example of this. She was on oxycodone and then oxycontin for about 10 years. She never abused her meds and required the pain control to be able to get out of bed. In the end of her 10-12 years on opiates her dose was 40mg of oxycontin twice a day.

My point being because there are people who will abuse pain meds doesn't mean they should be taken from those that do not abuse them and need them for quality of life. However there should be much more control in my opinion. Unless you have a pain condition that can not be treated I think Drs should use extreme caution when prescribing opiates.

You for example have a bad pain condition, what would you do without methadone? There are more and more people abusing methadone and sub, should they be pulled?

I am not trying to be argumentative, I just don't think its as simple as banning certain pain meds. I also think parents need to be more informed on the dangers of prescribed pain meds. I do not think the average parent has any idea what an epidemic this has become with American teenagers and we need to raise awareness.

Post subject: bboy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:06 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

what pain killers should be taken off the market ? which ones are overkill? I'm pretty sure The Center for Disease Control has their numbers straight. They are a pretty good outfit, BTW.

Post subject: i also
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:16 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

think the Federal Government OR "they" should ban sandbaggeres from Methadone Clinics. :lol:

Post subject: opioids
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:42 pm 
I'm not at all surprised to see methadone on the list. It's probably the cheapest schedule II opioid which makes it a popular choice over the Contins due to price. Hospice programs are using methadone more and more because it's very effective in that setting. The problem is that it's a pretty unique compound and easy to OD on for that reason. I think that all different preparations of opioids have their place, including heroin which I believe should be medically available.

-Travis

Post subject: Nevada
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:11 pm 

In today's paper it said Nevada is one of the worst states for pain killer abuse. (I thought it was Florida)There is enough to supply all it's residents with a yearly supply of 47 pills. Doesn't sound all that bad, but when you think of how many minors there are it is quite a lot.

My Mom needed morphine and Norco for the last ten years of her life because of a terrible auto accident. She wasn't pleased with having to deal with the side effects of constipation. She asked her doctor to wean her off and he asked her if she ever wanted to walk again. The morphine enabled her to live out her life on two feet and with dignity. She had pain, but was able to deal with it.

I don't know about the other drugs as I have no experience with them. My DOC was a Norco/Soma/Ultram combo with the occasional Xanax. Thank God for Sub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I certainly don't think any opioid pain relievers should be pulled from the market. I do think more thought should go into their being prescribed though.

I, for one, wish I would have known up front how crazy addictive pain pills were. I honestly had NO idea whatsoever how addictive pain meds were before my accident. I wish my doctor would have sat me down and explained the benefits/drawbacks of continued opiate use. None of the doctors or nurses said word one to me about the addcitive nature of pain pills.

I think educating our children to the dangers of using opiates (all drugs) improperly should be paramount. Next, parents need to be made more aware of how dangerous that innocent looking bottle of pain meds in their bathroom vanity really is. So many kids nowadays KNOW to go looking through their parents medicine bottles for drugs to get them high.

It would be nice if our news organizations would dedicate a little less time to Michael Jackson's doctor and a LOT more time to opiate (drug) abuse and the horrors it entails.