It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I can't believe all the horror stories I just read about getting off sub! I've been on it for 17 months starting at 12mg/day. About 5 months ago my doc started weaning me off. The first month I would take the 12mg for 2 days then on day 3 take 10mg then back to 12mg for 3 days then 10mg. I did this alternating for 1 month. Then second month did pretty much same thing increasing the days between the 12mg and 10mg until finally I was taking 10mg(or 1 and a quarter 8mg pills a day). So on the third and fourth month I stayed on 10mg. Month 4 I made myself take only 8mg( 1 pill a day) but I break the pill in fours so I only take a quarter of it a day. So now I'm on my fifth month of weaning and still take 8mg a day. My doc hasn't told me how to keep tapering as ha did in the beginning so I still keep taking 8mg a day. As an addict, I can't trust myself to lower my dosing or know how to do it the right way with as little withdrawals as possible. I'm also on Prozac,Clonopin,and just recently Midrin( for my headaches I've been getting quite frequently). After being on sub for so long does anyone know how long it will take me to get off? I know everyone is differant, but I'm just really scared! I don't mind being on it, but my doc was the one who wanted to start the weaning. I know I don't have any cravings and my life is going pretty good right now,I'm just afraid that once I'm off suboxone I'll go back out there. Any info much needed. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There are a lot of scary stories about tapering off of Suboxone. Most of the time those stories involve people tapering too quickly or stopping at too high of a dose...or trying to get off Sub before they are ready, because they are scared by scary tapering stories.

But you can find positive tapering stories too. I know there are a few around here, mine included. I have a topic in the
Stopping Suboxone section of the forum about my taper, and another topic about when I actually jumped off. I was on Sub for 22 months, did a long, slow taper and jumped off with very few side effects. It's been almost a month and I'm fine. It really was not bad. The few side-effects I did experience were very manageable.

I would say don't read people's scary tapering stories. They will just freak you out for no reason. Work on your recovery and becoming strong and healthy in your life. Make a plan with your doctor that you can live with, and make sure he agrees that if you start slipping, you can pull back on your taper. If you're not ready to taper, tell him why. If he doesn't listen, fire him. This is your life, you know?

As for how long it will take to get off, it really just depends on you and your situation. There are things you can do to try to get your natural endorphins flowing again, mainly exercise. That was the #1 thing that helped me and made me feel ready to do my taper. My experience was that getting down to 4mgs was easy, I took a little longer to get down to 2mgs. I stayed at 2mgs for a while - several months at least. Then I jumped down to 1mg because I wanted to take as long as I could to go from 1mg to 0. I think it took me 4-5 months just to do that last 1mg, I went down a tenth of a mg at a time every 10-20 days. Slow and tedious, but it worked.

-Jack Kornfield