It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:12 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I had transferred from methadone to suboxone February 5 2016. I was only on methadone for 12 mos never higher than 80mg and only at 80 for around a month tops then began tapering to make the switch. Transition was smooth it was wonderful to get off of that and no problems with sub. Doc 1 who I saw in March & April of this year (who was an ok dr but had unique policies like u couldn't live 15 miles or more away you couldn't disagree with ANY thing he said which mean u didn't get an opinion in ur care) so when I switched jobs I was about an hour away I wasn't going to tell him but of course it made me late by 8 mins hence his theory and I was discharged. I was originally prescribed 2 8mg a day and if I didn't need that much to cut the 2nd in half or not take it at all if it didn't feel right. So I actually needed only one 8 a day. I finally found a new sub Dr after searching for over a month, and I went yesterday. Like most of u I had done extensive suboxone research and knew what the prior dr had told me. And I must say I think this doctor was providing some dangerously risky misinformation. I told him the dose I was on and prescribed and I had cut one in half and he just said loudly "NO No NO! You don't ever do that!" I told him the dr told me to. He said he was wrong. He already had the nurse write down that I was bipolar 2 and depressed??? News to me. He based that on a 10question quiz all questions began with "have you ever, while on drugs or sober.." Then, be so hyper and excited that people thought u were on something? Felt extreme happiness and more confident? Had racing thoughts or hard to focus". Remember the preface "ON DRUGS OR SOBER". Wth?! So he wrote me a script for Saphris which I will not be taking. I'm fine he wanted me to be Un fine. THEN he told me it would take exactly 3 yeRs for me personally to be able to safely stop subs. And then told me one a day wouldn't work he wanted me to take THREE a day. He TRIPLED my script. He gave me one in the office so that made two for he day and within 2 hours I was in bed after nodding off getting home with a horrible migraine and on the verge of throwing up. It was the worst feeling ever. Well. Not ever but u know. I told myself "I'm not gonna tell him he's crazy if he thinks I'm taking 3 of those a day. I'll tKe the script for 90 get 3 mos to again look for a new dr." In questioning my home life and learning my husband had had neck and throat cancer he immediately informed me my husband had been cheating on me which is how he got that. Well I knew from studying HOV was responsible for a fair bit of moth and neck cancers but far from the only possibility. He argued that with me when I never missed an appointment I reviewed all records and tests with a nurse knew all the answers to my questions and knew that was 100% NOT the primary reason for his particular cancer. I chose not to tell him just prior to learning of cancer we had been parting a lot and had a few 3sones so the odds we not that he cheated but IF it was HPV which they couldn't prove I was prolly there when he got it. But to say that to me?? Not ok. What was becoming the strangest dr appointment of me life ended 2 hours later, the place I had walked into with confidence and feeling good just wanted to keep in my treatment plan, I was walking out of "bipolar 2 and manic depressive with a cheating spouse and needing 3x the amount of suboxone". Ok. WTF!!!???? The 2 subs nearly killed me much less 3, no way. I had to share this. Would love read reactions and opinions. Thanks!

Last edited by Aginn10 on Thu May 19, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:46 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

HI aginn10. Welcome. I don't have time for a long post right now but... WOW ! That's all very scary! ! I can't even imagine how you must feel. I agree with you on not taking the saphris. If my memory serves me correctly it's an antiphsycotic drug. I was prescribed it once and it made me a zombie! I stopped immediately. Plus you have not even been properly diagnosed! ! And I agree with you on your sub dose ! That is a crazy increase and why for someone already on a stable dose??? I am sorry this happened. Find a new Dr asap!! That's my opinion. I am not a Dr but this seems very wrong!! There are good Dr's out there. You will find one. Keep searching. At least your script will be enough to hold you over at least till you find a new Dr since you don't need 3 a day!! Good luck.

Willow

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:24 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Willow- MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!!! I was getting 3 mos out if it which gave me time to search. I was SO sick the rest of the day yesterday. Throwing up and a migraine so bad my eye was swollen. It was awful!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:36 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I can only imagaine!! I am sure that made you sick as can be!!! It still amazes me sometimes how some Dr's can be so incredibly bad for lack of a better word!!! I know it is frustrating to have to keep searching for the right Dr but you will find one. We have to be willing to go to any length to gain and protect our sobriety and that includes finding a proper Dr. Obviously this one wasn't ! Lol. I feel sorry for his patients who are new to subs and don't have the knowledge you do ! That could really turn some one new away from this wonderful treatment! Or worse really harm them! Got to run but please keep us informed. Have a great day. Feel free to post more about yourself and your story if you feel comfortable. Would love to hear it. Take care.

Willow

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:29 am 

Aginn I don't blame u one tiny but about finding a new dr if all that happened, wtf?? Wow talk about over stepping and over diagnosing or whatever, heck I don't know what you'd call that lol.

Yeah I wouldn't take anything for bipolar, not from someone who is only going by a freaking questionnaire. What the hell was this person thinking putting u on 3 a day when u plainly told em that u were good on a much lower dose...what was the reasons they gave u for that? Yeah I'd take advantage of those extra strips and use em while ur looking for yet another dr. Sometimes u gotta just chalk it up to crazy and move on along :)

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Aginn,

I remember corresponding w you here when you were in methadone to bup transition! You were so glad/lucky to get in w your first Bup MD/DO bc you were far into methadone wds. I looked him up - strict! Still, you're just 8" late and he drops you? Sheesh. W your hx, I was concerned bc this bup doc tapers folks off after a yr so maybe its best you are not w him anymore. There's a link in my earlier posts to you on a thread exchange btw he and Amy, a FAB mod here. I encourage anyone to read your prior threads, all interesting and insightful.

Now you get another bad experience... The 2nd bup doc sounds nuts - you don't want him and best to move on, as you already know. Totally inappropriate w the HPV cancer comments. Just plain wrong. Same for bi-polar dx via a questionnaire. Same for 3 a day bup. Good you have a supply from that script to tide you till you find yet another Bup doc.

I'm always amazed at reading crazy bup stories and this one fits up there as a crazy one. I had a great experience on bup, in every way. a great doc w openings -- starting, maintenance, stopping -- all went pretty well. Frankly, it all went marvelously well given these stories I read and thankfully none of that happened to me. Active addiction was the pits but bup was great. I'll always be grateful for it and for those who believe in it and know its profound lifesaving/life changing effects.

Let us know how/when you find your next bup doc. Hopefully its a nice boring story! Wishing you my best, P

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:17 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Man right? I won't bore you with my stories! Lol but have you ever heard of someone TRIPLING a stable persons dosage? When I told him about how I'll my husband is (he is terminal) and we don't have sex anymore (because one of the 10 questions was about sex) he said "well you must do something, play with yourself?" And I was SO uncomfortable and embarrassed I wanted to die. The whole appointment felt weird. The only thing and I don't know if it's true that I learned was there is a gene and it's not my fault I became addicted??

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:17 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

P- he was very strict but I liked that about him. He's posted on here too I've seen his posts. He's a good dr and he's strict for good reason. He's not very friendly at all tho. But I liked that one rule was "don't come in my office looking like a junkie". I still have me "booklet" of rules. I should scan it and upload it lol. But he would check for track marks even between ur toes cuz he didn't take IV users and I liked that. But it seems that the truly good doctors are the tending to be more along psychiatrists at least in my area. This is a miracle medication and it can change your life for sure. But 3 a day from a person who was totally comfortable at 1 a day is ludacrous. No he didn't really give a reason. I think I'll call and say it makes me sick just to so I can ask why. I think he indicated "that's just how much you need and for this many years based on how long you took opiates" which was 5 years. He didn't ask if it was pills or heroin or how many mg of opiates I had taken. I found quite a bit about him to be off. Thinking back, and it sickens me now, but he referenced sex at least 4 times. The. The head drug too? I thought "where the hell did I go to I thought it said general practitioner?!" I was thankful my insurance hadn't kicked in because I'm not in on it being in my permanent insurance file that I'm some head case when I'm far from it.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:11 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Additionally--I just realized I am scared to take my dose. I haven't taken one since the one he gave me yesterday at 3pm. I don't feel I need one but at the same time I'm AFRAID too! Like "what if" I feel sick again? I know in reality I most likely won't get sick but I'm literally scared now. I'm not taking one today I know that.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey AG10,

Thanks for the response. I get the benefits of being strict, just wish the first MD wasn't so strict that a few more minutes late caused you to be dropped. On the 2nd doc -- wait -- what?? who is HE? "I haven't taken one since the one he gave me yesterday at 3pm". You saw your MD/DO yesterday, so who gave you the bup? Yes, the 2nd MD/DO has way too many sexual questions and is seriously out of line. Period. If he's this way at the first visit it may only get more invasive and inappropriate. I know its hard to switch MDs again, but know he's out of line.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

My opinion about psychiatrists is based only on personal experience, not on objective data... but as a second-career psychiatrist who has been to psychiatrists, there are some who I really like and respect, and some who I can't believe got into and completed med school. The guy described in this post is clearly in the latter group. I spend much more time 'undiagnosing' bipolar than diagnosing it; I've seen so many misdiagnoses that i start to wonder if it exists at all. But then now and then I will see someone with true mania, and the experience validates the way I approach the condition. AG10 is right to point out several times the problem with asking about symptoms 'on or off drugs'... because the criteria for mania, and for any bipolar diagnosis, requires that the symptoms are NOT caused by a substance.

Thanks to electronic medical records, a misdiagnosis of bipolar disorder now 'sticks' to a person forever. There goes any chance to buy an independent life or disability insurance policy... and going forward every case of justified anger will be interpreted as part of a mood disorder.

Strong work on avoiding the Saphris. Sounds like the doc could have used it though....

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:54 am 

Why did the doctor not accept iv drug users? If he prescribes suboxone, wouldn't an iv user be one of the more severe addictions that'd benefit from sub treatment? Was their policy.... I'll treat addiction unless ur an iv user lol I mean wth is that about? My clinic is very strict and I've never heard of this, do a lot of doctors have this rule guys? I can't imagine being physically checked to see if I had scars or something then be denied treatment. I was an iv user for a couple yrs when my doc was morphine, then it started making me sick and I stopped and swiched to oxycodone, I do have a couple of small scars on the inside of my arm, does that mean I would have been denied treatment?

Maybe I didn't understand correctly or something lol cause it's totally amazing me that a place that treats addiction, has a policy that refuses an iv user. I just think that's unfair, is there a reason I'm not understanding or something?

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:59 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Honestly this is the only time I personally have run across it. He has a bit of energy ego (we are discussing 2 different doctors in this thread) & he's in a high money part of town. And I think he only wants a certain "class" of addicts.. Your white collar pill poppers mostly. Where are you? Are you normal?? Lol I'm looking. I've had some trouble and I'm such an average human being you wouldn't even think to guess I was an addict. But I now haven't taken a sub since Wednesday. What's your thoughts on my script being tripled??

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:02 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Subdox- I agree he did need it. When I left I was thankful I didn't have insurance yet. At least it won't be tied to me forever unless I disclose this mans name or somethings else. What is your opinion of what substance abuse as a label does to a person in an insurance file for their future?

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:06 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Pelican- the sub dr told me to get the second one from my purse and he had me take it there. I haven't had one now since that day. The first one it was a combo of a little late and outside his radius. He had said on day one I would prolly need a new dr. I explained I worked 5 mins away and he said "what if work changes? You should look anyway" wouldn't shake my hand nothing. Weird.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:17 am 

Aginn I think it's crazy that the dr tried to triple ur script. U were taking 1 a day like I am right? If my dr added 2 more strips to that I'd probably faint lol in disbelief. But seriously, I'd stick with taking 1 a day and the rest would go into the emergency stash. Nothing wrong with having an emergency stash at all, I wish I had more of a stash than I do but I haven't tried going down any to where I can save any.

Why haven't u taken any since Wed, because ur afraid you'll get sick again? I wouldn't think you'd get sick again as long as u go bk to the dose u were fine at. U got sick because u took too much, and that Dr should have already known that would mess with u by tripling ur dose....what a crazy a$$. But don't be afraid, just go bk to ur usual dose, that's my advice :)

Let us know how u do.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:16 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Aginn10- good morning. I agree with Jenn. I think if you just take your regular dose you will be just fine. So my opinion is the same as Jenn. Go ahead with your normal dose that was working for you. It will be fine. Have a good day.

Willow

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:52 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Well I hadn't taken a suboxone since the doctor disaster Wednesday but I just now had to. I was feeling weird and sweaty etc and I knew that feeling. The warning signs that things weren't gonna get better so best get that suboxone taken! Stumble across this podcast, like all the shows these guys have done but this one is particularly good for all of us. https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/sob ... =369035878