It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:50 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I read about provigil it's a non amphetamine based stimulate and is supposed to help with tiredness.
I work at night and have sleep apnea so I'm extremely tired during day even though I get too much sleep.
Anyone heard or have tried provigdil?
I tried switching to day shift but my interior sleep clock won't seem to reset.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:27 pm 

I was prescribed provigdil (sp?) yrs and yrs ago, however I was in my active drug seeking days. I needed energy....well wanted energy, don't know if I actually needed it because I was using, so everything had a purpose bk then. I actually had insurance during that time and I remember they refused to pay for the provigdil and it was a lengthy process. I ended up paying cash for them in the beginning. I'd take three times the prescribed amount and it was close to the feeling of taking adapex (I'm sure because I over took them was the reason). But imo they were abusable. I'm not saying you'd abuse them like I did but just be aware it can get tempting, so be careful if u do take them. I abused everything bk then.

That's my only experience with provigdil (still think I'm spelling it wrong lol). I do think it does a good job with energy though, but I couldn't take it like ur supposed to unfortunately.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I got some ginseng,Chinese gun power tea and it seems to help.Also,prednisone for energy and auto immune disorder.I also read dark chocolate 85% something is great for energy and blood.
I'll know more in a few days but if energy stays even at 60% as I feel now one of these might actually be helping,plus my appetite is great.
I'm not a fan of speed for I like food way too much.
I think there is something to ginseng.Ive seen it sell for over 1000.00 an ounce and more.
I just can't see anyone paying that much if it had a placebo effect.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:20 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It is scheduled lower (less restricted) than stimulants; schedule III I think-- and most stimulants are schedule II. There is a large amount of internet chatter about Provigil and Nuvigil (which is the same molecule, but just the R isomer) having effects like the drug on the movie 'Limitless'... that they somehow open up parts of the mind that increase intelligence, perception, etc.... but that's all just nonsense. Modafanil (the generic name) only causes wakefulness-- i.e. it prevents sleep. I've prescribed it to the people with fantastic insurance policies-- i.e. government workers and teachers-- but for anyone else it is almost never covered, and costs over $12 per pill.

My experience prescribing it has been disappointing; people seem to become tolerant to it fairly quickly, and it doesn't have the mood, appetite, or energy effects found in stimulants, at least from what I've seen. It is useful for people with sleep apnea who are being treated with CPAP but who still can't stay awake-- or for people who do shift work, and struggle with sleepiness despite getting sleep. I haven't found any other uses for it.