It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Worth it?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:51 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Do you all believe that sub is worth being on? I mean, those who have WD'dfrom it, would you do it again?

I'm 99% sure I would. There are times during this WD process, like now, when I can't sleep that I think "if I'd just gotten clean off of opiates, without sub, I'd be fine right now! They don't last as long, and most think they aren't as bad.

What makes it worth it for me is state of mind. Whenever I came off of opiates, all I wanted was more. If I started WD'ing, my mind didn't care. All my mind cared about was not being sick and any way that could happen. The way my mind wanted that to happen was getting high. God that sounds awful. Coming from a "goodie goodie" to being a junkie is weird as all get out! Anyway, but WD'ing off of sub makes me think "I never want to go through this hell EVER again, at any cost!" I wouldn't trade WD'ing for 10 pills right now. I can't do this again. Not to myself, my husband or my son.

Anyway I couldn't sleep, and I needed to remind myself why I'm not sleeping and how worth it, to me, it truly is.

Post subject: Re: Worth it?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, if I had to do it all over again I would use Suboxone to get off opiates because I tried getting off opiates by myself several times and just crashed and burned. Suboxone, for me, was like that stepping stone I needed to get across a swift running river.

Although I was quite pissed at the wd I experienced while getting off Suboxone, I eventually got over that and kept counting more and more and more days off of opiates. I'm currently well over 3 years off Suboxone, my longest stretch of being drug free (since I started using drugs at age 17).

Keep hanging in there Mama and congratulations on 5 days (right?).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. For me, getting on suboxone was the single smartest move I've ever made in my entire life, hands down. I am certain I'd be dead without it. Interestingly enough, I didn't ever regret taking suboxone during the jumping/ withdrawal process. There were times prior to jumping (when I was truly scared of what was to come) where I was angry that I was in that position, but it was mostly due to fear. Once I actually got off it, I was pleasantly surprised in the weirdest way. Yes, I was totally miserable, but I could handle it. Knowing that I could handle the withdrawal symptoms gave me a bit of peace during the eye of the storm. I guess my point is that no part of suboxone therapy has been worse for me than what came prior.

Last edited by tinydancer on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:38 pm 

With me, there really wasn't any other choice but Suboxone. I had tried being off opiate pain pills several times for semi long periods. Getting over the w/d's was the easy part. Feeling like the world is black and white is another story. Not depression, more of a feeling like I wasn't complete or lacked something. Had I waited longer would it have gotten better? Yes, I believe so. I just couldn't last more than a few weeks or two months off the pain pills. I must be lacking something in my brain. It would have fixed itself but I am too impatient.

Suboxone allowed me to get my life back and work on recovery while I feel quasi- normal. And I don't regret making the decision. When and if the time is right, I'll stop taking it. If I don't, that's fine too.

That's all we can give with this subject. Our opinion and 2ยข.

rule

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:24 am 
New Poster
New Poster

It is absolutely worth it. I don't take Suboxone but my husband does. I know there is a lot of negativity about suboxone as replacing one drug for another. And its true, thats what it does. But it is like switching a bad drug to a good drug. Once you start the good drug, you get your life back. As the spouse of an addict, I am very thankful for suboxone. My husband is a good man but he's not the same person when he is using. I just want everyone to know that you are doing the right thing.

iloveanaddict.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:12 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thank you, iloveanaddict. It's actually really great to hear from someone who is not doing the drug themselves, but rather seeing very closely how it helps. You're right, suboxone(and my son) saved me and my husband from a very bad addiction. We were doing probably 180-300mg of percoset daily. Suboxone allowed us to save our money(he makes great money, but not when you're an addict), give my son everything he needs, talk with my family, go to the park, not rely everyday on the high.

Suboxone does make a lot of people tired, "numb", lazy, and kind of zombie like. As does a lot of depression medications, though. That's the hardest part. And the tiredness and numbness are worse on opiates. As is the mental WD. I'm WD'ing now, but with the state of mind that life is worth living to SEE it, not numb it. And I don't think, I know, I couldn't have done that before Suboxone.

Thanks for the replies!