It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

A few weeks ago I jumped off my couch after killing a spider I thought maybe it wasn't dead and now it's on me! So I bailed landed wrong and heard a horrible snap/pop/crack it was nasty...went to the er did scans turns out I have a torn acl, bone bruising and fluid build up in my knee. I haven't taken any pain pills and it's extremely painful but I'm pushing though the pain trying not to be a bitch so I don't use again. Anyways surgery may be in the future and I refuse to stop my suboxone to take pain pills I've come this far (1 year 18 days sober) Their has to be another way to manage my pain! Over the counter pain pills are a joke I've tired them all. I've also tried a ton of non narcotic prescriptions pain pills to. I know people have probably asked this but I'm so scared right now and I feel like all the hard work I've done was for nothing. If their's someone who's had a torn acl or gotten surgery to repair one can help me or give advice I would really appreciate it. I don't have support from my family so I've been on my own through all this. I'm only 23 and I don't want my life to be all about pain pills, relapsing, treatment, suboxone ect... I use to stress out about getting hurt all the time and now it's happening.
Thank you... sorry the post of kinda long

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

People don't always get a torn ACL repaired. If you were over 40, your best advice would probably be to just leave it alone, providing you don't have other ligament damage. But at age 23, you still have a lot of tennis to play and skiing to do. And you can't ski or play tennis without an ACL. Period.

And... you cannot have an ACL repaired without receiving narcotics. The post-op recovery and physical therapy are just too painful. Period.

The good news is that you can get pain control for surgery while taking buprenorphine or Suboxone. The bad news is that many doctors don't know how to handle that situation. If you take enough oxycodone, you will get good pain relief without the other narcotic effects-- i.e. without euphoria and the other addictive things. I have been surprised many times by how people with prior history of opioid dependence could control use of opioids, as long as they stayed on buprenorphine.

If you STOP buprenorphine-- which is what many docs THINK you need to do-- your opioid tolerance will rapidly escalate on oxycodone, and you will get those old familiar feelings. But if you stay on 4-8 mg of buprenorphine each day, the oxycodone won't 'feel' like it used to, but you will get good pain relief-- as long as you take a high-enough dose.

I've had dozens of people go through surgeries ranging from C-section to heart surgery It doesn't NEED to be a big deal. You just need an understanding addiction doc-- and a flexible surgeon.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:25 pm 

What Suboxdoc (Dr J)has said here and before it absolutely ture. Ive seen this work out in the clinic im a member of. With the information given here at this forum.
A clinic mate of mine was provided a statement sheet with instructions from Suboxone Talkzone.
She did very well although the surgeon did come up short on oxy doses. She stayed on 8mgs on bupe after a short taper down from 16mgs. Although only given 10mgs of oxy for pain, she managed quite well.

The problem though is getting drs to go aloug with this.. but it is possible.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:48 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much for the help... ya that's a biggest concern is the doc not giving me enough pills... I'll just see how things go thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:28 am 
New Poster
New Poster

HI there. I myself may have torn my shoulder. No injury probably just from hauling my massive "purse bag" around lol. Anyway. I have been on suboxone for bout 2yrs. Last yr, 2015, I had 2 surgeries 4mos. apart. The 1st one my Dr gave me Norco b4 the surgery and that was a disaster cuz suboxone is much stronger than those. And it was after the surgery that I had the real issue with when trying to get back on the suboxone. I was very sick cuz I still had opiates in my system and as we all know, they push out all other opiates. So the 2nd surgery I told my Dr to give me SUBUTEX b4 and after so I would have to endure the pain from both my surgery AND trying to get back on the suboxone. Well that was October 2015, and I'm still on the subutex. I take them for chronic pain. But lately all of a sudden my lying, cheating Dr is telling his patients that "yes I do prescribe it but Medicaid won't reimburse me so you have to pay me $80 per visit!" That's every month! Not to mention the subutex, which for some reason is cheaper than suboxone, but not covered by insurance. Anyway. My point is, ask for subutex AND pain pills. Since we all know you're supposed to tell your sub Dr about any surgeries and get pain meds from him/her. So good luck, hope that helps.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:48 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I did end up having surgery in October. I stopped taking my suboxone like 2 weeks before surgery they gave me morphine, oxys, anxiety pills and maybe Demerol that was all on surgery day. When I went home I got morphine, oxys, muscle relaxers and anxiety medication but I didn't take the anxiety pills. I got back on my suboxone 3 weeks later then I moved and I ran out theirs no suboxone doctors where I live now so after detoxing again and still feeling horrible for almost 2 months I found something that made me feel better so am I sober no but I don't think I was sober on suboxone so I was never really "sober" and I have to get another surgery because my knee is locked but I'm avoiding it because of the pills. So I have no idea what's going to have anymore...