It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:41 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I recently moved back to NY from Canada. I got clean in Canada, but wanted to continue my suboxen in NY. I started doing my research on how to proceed, & was appalled when I realized that 90% of these doctors and clinics are in it solely for the $. In NY, each office visit ranges from $200-800, and almost none accept insurance. The absolute WORST of them is STAT Health. First is their price. 1st visit is $600 for office visit, $150 suboxen surcharge, and $20 for a urine test. You arrive, you pay, THEN they tell you that u have to come back for the first 5 days. All the while, you are being charged for each visit. The first week ends of costing you thousands!! they make you pick up your prescription from THEIR recommended pharmacy, and drop it off. Then, you have to go back for 5 days (charged $$ for each visit) to take your prescription. They do this because as long as they hold that prescription hostage, even after you learn how horrible this place is, you cannot switch doctors. If you do try to switch before your prescription is up, You get listed as double doctoring by NY State, and cannot get into another program. This wouldn't be too bad, but even if you are the first person in the door, you will be waiting 1-3 hours. If you get here middle of the day, you may have to wait 4+ hours (one patient I spoke to was waiting for 6 hours) just to take your medicine. In Canada, every doctor I saw was caring, took the time to explain everything, and was always willing to work with you to get you the best care possible. At STAT Health, you never see the same doctor twice, they are extremely rude, unorganized, uncaring, and treat you like a piece of garbage. As many of you know, when you decide to get clean, you are in a semi vulnerable state of mind. A patient, caring doctor can sometimes be the difference between getting clean, or going back to opiates. Its a slippery slope, and we all have to walk it. Having a good Dr to help you along is so important. STAT Health doctors just push you down the hill, and charge you for the ride All they care about is collecting their $600 each time. The Dr doesn't even see u after u take the medicine! Since I have been clean, I have never once had to go through such a horrible ordeal. This has truly been one of the worst experiences of my life. I'm writing this as I sit and wait. 3 1/2 hours already. 10+ hours of waiting so far in the last 3 days. It's not right. This feels borderline criminal. Their program is set up solely to collect $. Zero emphasis on the patient, or their addiction. I've been off opiates for 9 months, and this is the first time I have felt that it wasn't worth it, and I just want to eat a handful of pills. If u are looking to get clean, or you are looking for a new Doctor, STAY AWAY from STAT Health!! Everything about this place is wrong!! They are NOT looking to help you. They only care about your money. There are a lot of doctors only out for the $$, but STAT Health is the worst of them all. How can they justify $770 fist visit, and $600 every visit after. Has anyone else had a similar experience? With either STAT Health, or another Dr??

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:20 pm 

Thank you SO much for warning others away from such a horrible program!! Their practices are truly reprehensible and should not be allowed!

I'm glad that you've had good experiences with caring doctors so that you know the difference. If you ever decide to move to the Denver area, let me know and I'll refer you to my own wonderful doctor. He takes insurance, will do phone appointments if the weather is bad, and truly cares about his patients.

I am so sorry for your terrible experience with STAT Health!

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi, it's queen,

I must be the luckiest woman on earth. I live in New York(the bronx). I have been seeing my Sub Dr. for about 4 years now. My insurance charges me nothing. I don't pay anything. All I have is a $10 co-pay for my Suboxone which arfe 60 a month(I tgake 8mgs in the a.m. and 6 in the p.m. Mr. Dr. is the greatest. he is caring and listens to everything I have to say. He gives me 6 months of Subs.(refills) I see him every 6 months. So Stat better watch out, if my dr. hears about them he will be very upset. My love to all. Queenie

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:30 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Phillymuscles,
I commend you for taking the time to warn others and help them avoid the same treatment. Luckily you have a substantial amount of clean time under your belt thanks, in part, to an excellent doctor. But it's easy to see how someone who just decided to kick, encountering treatment like this could lose hope and give up on going straight. Your warning could prevent that.
It's a shame to see practices so blatantly disinterested in their patients, opening their doors solely to let the money in. Your post is probably about New York City but I live in central NY and I see the same thing up here. A doctor was just arrested a few weeks ago around here for charging anybody something like $300 cash for a "visit"/sub script. No "how are you feeling?" "How's everything going?" No discussion of your history or recovery whatsoever.
I got lucky and found an amazing dr who only charges 150 a visit, nearly all of which is reimbursed by my insurance company. I couldn't ask for a more understanding, caring, perceptive dr. So to anyone looking for a dr: THERE ARE GOOD ONES OUT THERE and they are worth looking for.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:40 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi Phillymuscles,
Thanks for sharing your experience with others and I am sure it will help many in choosing the right doctor and leading healthy life now. Bookmarked the link to share with others also, keep sharing!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:01 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience at Stat Health. I personally feel they that are the best Suboxone program that I was able to find on Long Island. They are the only one I could find that except insurance. They take most insurance. I have UHC Medacaid. I have been in enrolled in their Suboxone Program, the one in Deer Park for over a year. I have not paid a penny there in out of pocket expense. Dr. Lerman and Shallot are both very caring and understanding doctors who truly want to help you. I have found that all of their staff are very courteous and helpful. Unfortunately, the program is very expensive without insurance, but if you have insurance that they work with you pay nothing except for a copay if you have one.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:09 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I've been in withdrawal and I had an appointment tomorrow at stathealth in Hicksville. The guy that answered the phone told me I had ano appointment last week and never showed up? Meanwhile I just contacted them 2 days ago....how did I miss an appointment before I scheduled one?? He was so rude...told me sorry maybe someone forgot to schedule you or messed up your appointment. .sorry for the inconvenience. ...oh you're sorry? It's way more than an inconvenience and it's bullshit and disgusting that heroin deaths are al mm over the news and doctors and clinics don't give a shit. Personally I've been on percoset for years...I have lupus and nerve damage and my joints dislocate all the time. I want to be on suboxone to somewhat control the pain and not need to pop pills all day...it's appalling that anyone just disregards people who reach out for treatment. This is why there are overdoses and deaths. Wake up doctors. .stop being greedy assholes and actually help those who need and want the help. That's your job.you took an oath...patients are patients. ..we are all human.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Rankle 13, If you are not dealing with addiction issues but want to be on Buprenorphine, your regular doctor can prescribe Suboxone (without the waiver) as long as they put 'for pain' on the Rx, or to use the lower dose Butrans patch. If a doctor has been prescribing opiates they should be familiar with the patch. I am assuming that you have established care with someone and not getting your Percocet off the street.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Rankle 13, There's a doctor in Hicksville, Long Island who is taking new suboxone patients. He takes insurance for the drug testing, but not for the office visit.

337 W. Old Country Rd
Hicksville, NY 11801

(Btw, i'm not a/the doctor)