It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:33 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Every time I have tried to Quit Painkillers I go through the same Withdrawals as everyone else, but the Mental to me is worse because it never seems to get better. I go weeks and have even gone a few months of no Motivation, Lack of Energy, Moody, Etc.. It never seems to get better. Tried Antidepressants in the past and never helped. The Phsychiatrist always says you do not have a permanant chemical imbalance (Yeah tell my Head that :)). Anyhow does the Suboxone also help you with feeling Right and somewhat Whole again. My Family and Work cannot suffer anymore.. Its not fair to them...

Thanks JC
Vero Beach, FL

Post subject: Mental Aspects
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I been on Suboxone since Aug. 2008. My understanding of the withdrawels of painkillers is the mental part is the hard part. I went ct before but always relapse after a few months. Suboxone does help with the mental part. I have not relapse since I been on Suboxone. I hope this helps you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi. I have been on Suboxone for about 7 months and the mental part is still hard. I miss being high, just don't miss the mess that comes with it.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The mental part, depression especially, was always the hardest thing for me to deal with too. My depression came before I ever tried opiates, but opiate abuse definitely made it worse.

Suboxone had a great antidepressant effect for me, espeically for the first 6 months or so. I don't think I ever felt as mentally healthy as I did during that time (well, maybe when I was a little kid :wink: ). After a while I had to deal with my depression issues again, but it was easier to do the things I needed to do to get well because I was much more stable on the Subs.

My best friend has been on sub for 1.5years and it's worked wonders for her depression, she's like a new person.

The doctor who ran the research study I was in told me that he had many patients, espeically ones on MMT who switched to Sub, that finally had their depression lift when they began Suboxone treatment.

I'm not sure how your doctor can know if your depression exists independently from your addiction, but getting treatment for your addiction has to happen before you'll know for sure. My experience was that from the first day of Sub treatment I felt 100% better. I was happy, calm, stable, had energy, was able to deal with stress at work, and I found new motivation to work hard in therapy. I know it's not like that for everyone, but I'd say it's worth a shot.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject: dealing with depression
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:38 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I can relate to the experiences of others who say that the hardest part is overcoming your depression and the other "mental" issues that go along with stopping abusing and making a commitment to Suboxone. Each person is different and some are lucky enough to resolve most issues by simply stabilizing onto Suboxone. Others, including myself need more help. My best suggestion to anyone out there who is struggling with any mental side effects or lingering symptoms is to be honest with your doctor. Ask for some time just to talk. Set aside some time for some psychotherapy and get to the root of your problems. There is no pill in the world, not even Suboxone that will cure all of the underlying issues. My doc has said that some of the best cases he has ever been apart of are where the patient also participates in therapy along with medication. And that is what I am about to do. I finally brought up the nerve to ask for help and can't wait to sit down and create a plan to move forward with my life. I truly hope that anyone else out there takes a few moments to look at their lives and take the steps necessary to get the extra help they need! Best wishes to everyone out there! -jp04

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That is awesome that you're getting help for your depression. Good for you. Try as many things as you can think of that might help you heal and grow - you never know what might work. Talking in therapy helped me a lot, but other things did too: yoga, dancing, writing, hiking, meditation, exploring new hobbies - it's just so good to finally have a life again.

Best of all is finally feeling stable enough to work through the painful stuff. I've learned so many new coping skills over the past year, I'm actually moving my life forward instead of just reacting to the shit that's happening because everything's so out of control.

We all deserve to live a good life, and we can have that. It's a beautiful thing.

-Jack Kornfield