It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:12 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

My best friend is 32 weeks pregnant and has been on 8 mg of subutex daily for most of the pregnancy. Her doctor has not mentioned any plans of tapering her dosage down as the due date approaches. What is the likelyhood of her baby being born with withdrawals? I'm really worried about both of them, so any reassurance or similar stories that ended on a positive note would be great!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:54 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am 34 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child and take 16 mgs. of Subutex daily. When I became pregnant, I was taking Suboxone and my doctor was aware that my husband and I were trying to conceive. I have always been very forthcoming with my personal history about being addicted to percocet and morphine and the medication that saved my life: Suboxone. I figure, why lie about it? It's something to be proud of, not ashamed of. Your friend is taking the necessary precautions: protecting her child and herself from opiates, which would have a far more profound effect on her child than Subutex/Suboxone. If she is still taking Suboxone vs. Subutex, she needs to talk to her doc about switching to Subutex as there is more data on the safety of Subutex during pregnancy, but most women who become pregnant are taking Suboxone and then switched to Subutex. I had my two previous sons in my early 20's when I was clean, and they were both premature. I have been classified as high risk this pregnancy, not only due to my use of Subutex but also because of my previous medical history, so I have gone through a mountain of prenatal testing. You would probably expect to hear that my baby is little, has either a slow or rapid heartbeat, or is not thriving in the womb. WRONG!!! This baby is far more active than my previous two, is measuring a week ahead of schedule and is so strong that sometimes I feel like he is going to claw his way out. My therapist (who prescribes my sub) and my ob-gyn talk on a weekly basis about my unborn child and I, and this has made everything so much easier. What has also helped is the support from my husband and my FRIENDS. She needs your encouragement and support, let the doctors do the worrying, that is what they went to school for. Bottom Line: Don't judge or ridicule her, and know that she is doing what's best for her child, and herself. Being a friend is standing beside her and having her back when a lot of people probably don't because of the stigma of being classified as a former "addict". She needs your friendship now more than ever, and the doctors know what's best for her and the baby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Kmommy and welcome. I haven't given birth, so I cannot share any personal experiences. But we've got lots of people who have given birth and will hopefully come along and share their stories with you.

The one thing I do know is that some babies are born with NAS, yet others are not. From reading many stories here it seems the norm for many women to taper down to a low dose while pregnant - but not everyone does that.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. I'm sure others will come along soon to help out. Good luck to you and your friend. Just remember - a pregnant woman on sub is taking care of both of them by keeping active addiction (which is more dangerous) out of their lives.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:52 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I would also like to add that through this pregnancy, I have read millions of websites as well as talked to my doctor about the likelihood of my baby having withdrawals after birth. Everything I have heard, or read, has said that babies born to mothers taking methadone have an 80-90% chance of going through withdrawals and needing medical assistance vs. 1-3% chance with Subutex. So yes, there is a chance of her baby withdrawing but far less than that with other meds/drugs and is likely to be less severe and requiring an extended stay in the NICU. I hope that everything goes well for your friend, just trust her maternal instincts and the doctors treating her.