It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on suboxone for two months now(16mg daily) and have been doing great, haven't touched any opiates since. But at the begining of the month I smoked pot for about a week(stupid,I know). And Christmas eve/christmas I had Klonopin and a joint(once again stupid I know, the joint was with some friends before the day before christmas eve, then I found 6 Klonopin in my room that day and took em on christmas eve and christmas...Now I really do need a low dose of benzo's(.5-1mg) but didn't mention this to my doc because I peed dirty for them on my induction and didn't see her prescribing them for me if I pissed dirty for them and had no script, sooo, I've just been dealing with it. Now besides my first drug test on induction day, I passed the one I had on my next visit. From anyone else's expericens should I be worried about getting cut off,or just a warning? I've really been worrying about this because I've been doing so well and I also I have a full time job so it's not like I can just be cut off of 16mg daily for two months...I got wrote an extra 20 I guese because my appointment was the day after new years and she said it was the holidays,so really it will have been about 5 weeks instead of four since I saw the doc. So should I be worried about being cut off, or just a warning? I know I put myself in this situation but I'm freaking out..I can't go back to what I was doing=(.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Oh and since the whole joint/klonopin thing around xmas,my appointment is like two weeks after christmas so I might be over worrying but would still like to know...do most cut off or give you a warning, should I go ahead and start splitting my dose in half?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:08 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

It has to do with the prescribers philosophy and even more likely sometimes if the prescriber isn't in a private practice, the rules within the facility he/she is employed by.

I know prescribers who would never cease a buprenorphine (Suboxone) prescription unless there was a major diversion going on, as in the person didn't take any of the meds being prescribed personally at all and they all went to the black market so the client could make a major profit.

I also know DR's and facilities that stop people cold turkey after one 'abhorrent' behavior. In my book any prescriber who cuts off a client for doing what comes naturally to them (i.e. ingesting chemicals) isn't interested in taking the time to follow up and try to get to the reason that the client still feels the need to use illicitly. If you're primarially using for anxiety relief, a good Dr, in my view, would look at ways to control anxiety so you, the patient, doesn't have to obtain illicit medications and street drugs which could potentially get you in some serious trouble on a number of different levels.

Also, DR's who discharge for positive screens for chemicals other than opioids are the ones that REALLY set me off as buprenorphine isn't indicated to reduce cravings for benzodiazepines, marijuana, cocaine, alcohol, etc. That being said, many people (but not all) find that their desire to consume alcohol is reduced if not eliminated and I've heard people say the same thing about other drugs of abuse that they used to use concurrently with their opioid of choice.

What could you loose by talking to your prescriber about the possibility of a PRN prescription for a benzodiazepine? Or perhaps Vistaril (hydroxyzine), maybe Neurontin, Buspar or one of many anti-depressants that have positive effect on anxiety in many people, if you're not already on anything I suggested.

The key is being honest and talking with your DR about the issues you're having. If you have a decent DR, I think it'll go well for you. Good luck!

540 Greenhaven Road #201|Anoka, MN 55303
(763)250.0702
http://www.facebook.com/TpnServiceCompanies
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ya, I thought about bringing up Gabapentin. I've had hydroxyzine before and it didn't help at all. Potentiated my opiates a little, don't know why that stuff is prescription only?? Promethizine i can see but the hydroxyzine doesn't even make you tired.. oh and yes i've had no desire to drink. Never was a big fan but went I didn't have anything else for a while I would always end up hitting the booze hard every night just getting plasterd listening to music or watching tv then passing out. But no desire to drink, do wanna smoke weed and I don't see a problem with it really, but the doctor says no weed while on subs...