It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:14 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i have been on subs and clean for the past three years but did ALOT of dr shopping prior to and am so worried i will be arrested one day. i tried do some research online about what can happen and frankly there was too much info to get any clear idea. does anyone know if the state tends to file charges for felonys this long ago? i know they can i am in az and they have 7 years to file i know that much but has anyone here ever been busted for dr shopping and if so what happened? i am so scared of jail i freak myself out to the point of complete madness. on a side note i dr shopped so much lost track of the number of dr and pharms i went to but never forged a script or stole one, etc. thanks everyone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi luvmy3 - First off - try to calm down. It's my opinion that you're freaking yourself out when you don't need to. The police, etc, have enough on their plate dealing with and arresting people who are currently committing crimes that they likely haven't got the time or even the resources to go back and investigate people who broke the law previously. Seriously, stop, take a breath, and think about that for a moment. Do you really think they are going to go after you when they can be going after someone breaking the law right now? At least that's how I feel about it.

Besides, this isn't something you have any control over at all, yet you're putting all this energy and worry into it. Try to put that aside and concentrate your energies on things that you CAN control - like your recovery.

Good luck to you and try to put this out of your head.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:49 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi, I agree with Hat. If you think about it there is no way the cops could even know. A pharmacist would have to look you up in other pharmacies even to know and I don't think that a pharmacist would one day think, "hey I should look up (your name) and see if he/she is Dr shopping". I am pretty sure you would have to be there with a script you were filling. I mean how could the pharmacist even remember your name. Like Hat said the police are too busy to go thru old pharmacy records to see if there is someone that used to break the law. Congrats on your recovery and please stop worrying you are fine!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:05 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I used worry about the same thing, always searching the Internet about Ohio's statute of limitations and searching government warrent sites. The truth is they can still come after you but they won't, even if they knew something (which is unlikely). I have a few friends that are cops and from what they told me if I keep out of trouble it will never be an issue. If you continue to break the law and get caught they could tack on all that old stuff. Just keep doing the right thing and stay out of trouble and I promise you will be fine. Just like the IRS, stay off thier radar. Hope this makes sense and puts you at ease.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thank you so much to all of you for calming me down it really helped to have you guys tell me that i was driving myself nuts for you are 100% correct something that is totally out of my control. i was having a total freak out last night after i read some story about a gal being arrested two years after the fact, probably a bs story but all i was thinking is omg the state is working on case against me i just know it. thank you thank you thank you.

no more crazy internet searches for me :)

have a great sunday everyone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

In my area the only people I've seen in trouble are docs who way overprecribe. If you are not outright forging, it's seems like the only thing to happen to shoppers is they get cut off. Like everyone else said, they have enough on their hands with the people who are currently doing it so they're not going to bother looking back 3 years.
I'm glad you got into to recovery. Keep looking ahead.
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:32 pm 
Pharmacies in Arizona are required to report any prescribed controlled substance to the DEA. It is retained in a database.

I still would not worry, this was 3 years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi again Luvmy3, I just realized your post said you were in AZ. I am too, I especially wouldn't worry about it here. The police and DEA are so busy with the flow of drugs over the border that there is no way they would even waste their time trying to find people who had too many pain scripts. If you don't mind me asking what part of AZ are you in?. I am in Casa Grande, right in the middle of Phoenix and Tucson.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:57 pm 
Breezy_Ann I am in Phoenix and all of the pharmacies are linking ALL controlled scripts to the DEA. They are observing the doctors who are prescribing AND the patients who are getting them. The biggie is oxycodone. Most of the big name pharmacies are linked by computer now. They can see that you just filled a script at CVS for a narcotic. Names come up when controlled stuff is prescribed. Why do I know this? I have a friend who works for the DEA in AZ. Just saying.....Big Brother is Watching. This is never a problem unless someone is actively abusing the system currently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:19 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I also worried about this in the past. I did doctor shop, and once a friend of mine was involved in a bust, and I never knew if she gave up my name. Also, all of this happened in FL where there is a LOT of current investigation and scrutiny over doctors & pharmacies.

First, it's true there is nothing we can do about it now. But also, I figure that I have been getting suboxone prescribed to me legally for 16 months, and for over a year of that I was drug tested by my doctor every month. I have to believe that even if a cop showed up at more door to charge me, any judge looking at the fact that I've maintained recovery this long would have to conclude that I am not a threat to the general public.

Since you have been clean three years, I really think you have nothing to worry about legally. I would just focus on letting it go, and forgiving yourself for what you did in the past. I wonder if some of your fear has to do with your own knowledge that you committed a crime? It does for me, I hate that I was engaged in so much criminal behavior when I was using. Thanks to suboxone, I don't do that today.

Congrats on your recovery, and try to focus on the good you are doing today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i agree it is knowing that i did this the things that i did were awful i really have a hard time forgiving myself knowing that i jeopardized everything not only for myself but my entire family i cant believe how selfish i was as an addict. i know that it wasn’t me doing things and it was the drugs controlling me but i just can’t excuse or forgive putting my fam in jeopardy. i come from a family where drugs and alcohol ruined so many lives i swore i would never be like that and knowing what the other side is makes it harder. i know that all i can do now is focus on never doing these things again and making sure that i remain healthy for my fam and know that i will continue to do so.

sorry i know rambling anyway breezy ann i am in Glendale.

question for you fair robin, or anyone for that matter i know that i was red flagged at least once when a pharm called my docs i was getting pills from but stupid me let my doc keep giving me pills and when her practice shut down that is when the serious dr shopping begin so many i lost track, do you guys think that matters has anyone heard of them charging years after?

i do have a clean record never been in trouble really before and made the decision to get clean on my own and have been as i mentioned for 3 years do you think if i ever did get brought up on charges they would give me probation? i was worried that with the number of drs they would throw the book at me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:13 am 
Honey, 2 years is the statuate of limitations in AZ. Don't worry. You are fine, and no law enforcement agency is coming after you. The DEA would have acted a long time ago. What I am saying to people that are doing it NOW, it can and will bite them in the ass, especially with OxyContin. DON"T WORRY xoxo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Fairrobin, Yes I knew about the database. I should have been more specific, I meant that they wouldn't waste their time looking back thru old records to see if people used to Dr. shop. I would think you would have to be doing it in the present and then maybe they would bust you. I found out about the database about a year ago back when I was still being prescribed Oxy. I actually never Dr. shopped because I was too scared so I always had the same Dr. write all my scripts. I usually went to Walgreens but sometimes they would not have the Oxy in stock so I would go to CVS. Then I moved by the CVS and went there more often, but same thing when they were out I would go back to Walgreens. Then this one time I went to Walgreens and it was a pharmacist I had never seen before and it was an early fill but my Dr. knew and wrote the script. I got called up and the pharmacist says (very snotty) that he needed to talk to my Dr. before he would fill it because it was early and wanted to let my Dr. know I was using different pharmacies. I told him that was fine but obviously my Dr. was ok with filling it since he wrote it and asked why I wasn't able to go to a different pharmacy if it was the same Dr. who wrote the scripts, and they were the ones who sent me there because they had been out. He started treating me like I was a piece of shit. Talking about everything very loudly and making me sound like a junkie with like 7 people in line. I finally just walked away, I was so embarrased. Like 15 minutes later I get a call from my Dr. asking me to come by, he brings me back to a room shuts the door and said the pharmacy called him and he wants to know why I told the pharmacist that I had lost my script. So now I have my Dr. questioning me and I lost it and started crying, it was a big mess. Anyway in the end I think my Dr. beleived me and called and told him to fill my script and when I went to get it I asked him why he lied to my Dr., he said that he never said that too my Dr. and he is mistaken, very rudely gave me my meds and walked away. Sorry to write such a long story but that is how I found out about the database.

It's a small world, the three of us all live in the same place, take care and absolutely do not worry luvmy3!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:55 pm 
If a pharmacist acts inappropriately to you at any time, you can contact the pharmacy board a file a complaint against them just like any licensed professional. In AZ it is at the Arizona Board of Pharmacy. It is never, ever right that a pharmacist or any licensed professional, doctor, nurse, medic, physician assistant etc., to treat you with this type of disrespect. If you are within the law, you have every right to report this.

This can be done easily and believe me, there are many people in the medical field that have issues with medications. Look at our blog admin, Dr. J. I admire his coming forward and developing a program to help so many people that have addiction and dependency issues for what ever reasons. I applaud this forum. I applaud his guts and fortitude to do this.

Breezy_Ann I am truly sorry you had to suffer this fool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thank you, when I went back there the next month the regular pharmacist was there and I told him what happened. He apologized and said that he worked at another pharmacy and was just filling in that day and that he wouldn't be back. Thank you for that information, it is good to know incase I ever run into something like that in the future.

Post subject: Sub database?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Is there a database of people that take Subs? I know that if you take any opiates it can be looked up by a Dr or pharmacy, but someone was writing in another forum that there is a specific database for anyone who has been prescribed Subs by a Dr. no matter if you ran it thru insurance or not. They also said it would come up if you were to need pain meds or in background checks. This just doesn't seem reasonable to me but thought I would see if anyone ever heard of this, thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm with you, breezy - that makes no sense to me either. Suboxone is just like any other scheduled narcotic - other than needing the DATA 2000 waiver to prescribe it - otherwise it's no different. It would go on the same database that most states are putting into practice these days, but I can't see how they could put have a totally separate list for sub people. I don't buy a word of it.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:23 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I have not ever Dr. Shopped, but I would imagine that something that would make me feel better in the situation is getting documentation somewhere that you have been clean for the three years. Are you in aftercare? Drug tested by a doctor? etc etc. Just evidence to prove you have changed your life. That way, if the very slim chance does come true you can show the courts that you have been clean for 3 years and will not ever repeat your mistake.

Breezy_Ann: Lots of people are paranoid about many things, often they feel a need to vocalize these things. It probably sounds a little bit crazy to them, so they look to reaffirm it. Why do you think so many conspiracy theorists forums exist? So they can find likeminded people that will not tell them they sound nuts. Also, lots of people are under the assumption that we have a "secret insert whatever/NWO" government in charge of the world right now. Making secret lists and stuff plays into this. It happens when conditions are what they are all over the world right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Don’t worry yourself over this the police have a lot more important things to do than worry about what you did 3 years ago! I mean if it was part of a huge murder case or hit and run something along those lines than yea worry yourself to madness but you did not do any of those things. Do you know how many people DR shop in Florida? People get up to thousands of pill a month and people are still doing this and the only people who are getting in trouble are the DR not the patients.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:50 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

The interesting thing is that the doctor that prescribes my suboxone had me choose a pharmacy, and the office calls in my script every month. They have only once handed me a paper script, and that was the first time I saw them. I think this is a great system, because it takes away any questions the pharmacy might have. And I never have to wait for my script!

Is AZ one of the few states with a database? I know I read a little about databases like that a couple of years ago when I was using, but there was not one in place in FL. I haven't paid much attention to it lately because I'm not breaking the law, but I'm curious.