It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Workouts and chasing.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been reading everyones posts about the importance of physical exercise and would like to know how those of you that are on a regimen, got started back to the gym. As I have mentioned elsewhere, I am at day 22 or so on this trip. It took me until this week to even get out of the bed for more than a piss or a rummage through the now sparse medicine cabinet. My first week, I was eating adderall(ADD Here), advil, Aleve, neurontin, celebrex, Xanax, trazodone, seroquel, hell just about anything to alleviate the worst of the symptoms. By week two, down to adderall, 2 Aleve and a neuron tin in morning, PO Xanax through day. I felt like my heart was going to come up my throat and out everyday. That second week, I was at least able to cook some dinners and smile a little bit. But still no energy. Only thing that got me through that total lack of energy was the medical maryjane. I know a lot of folks in the traditional addiction recovery routes would look down on my approach, but for me, I just had to survive those times without opiates. That was my goal, and I'm still here, so I am calling that a success. 3rd week still no energy but dropped the neurontin with no ill effects. Ran out of Xanax to no effect. Anxieties not gone at that point but at least felt like I could cope without screaming or flipping out.

I'm now at the start of my 4th week but still can't talk myself into not lazing around. Some of it is fear. I'm not here cuz my body is 100%. scared to death that I am going to reinjure something. Despite that, was able to get out with my twins over the weekend and at least take a few laps around the soccer field. I'm not the same dad yet, but my boys have been very supportive through all of this. I have not hidden my process from them, I hope that this view into addiction here at home is even more poignant for them than that damn DARE program that just tried to turn all of them into some kind of narcs. All i
saw as a kid were the addictions, not the cures.

For me, the hip seems to be holding out. Acupuncture in conjunction with my detox has been the ticket. Through all of the years of opiates, I was never pain free, regardless of the dosage or drug. After 4 months of acupuncture, I can say I am pain free today. It could be psychosomatic but keep that shit out of my head. It's working and I am thankful.

I am hopeful that I will not only sleep soon, but also wake up with some energy and desire to kick some ass again. I have never been lazy, hell the whole reason I got on the opiates was to disregard the pain and be able to continue to work both of my jobs, coach baseball and soccer, and still be dad. It worked for a bit but now I can see that the opiates just took ME further away. I am glad to be coming back, however slowly. Any advice for this physical fitness aspect of recovery would be appreciated...D

Those of you that work out, how hard do you go and when did that energy show up for you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

well, I think Romeo would be better suited to reply to this question.................

but Im gonna give my two cents anyways :wink:
Im still on suboxone, but about six months ago, my anxiety was just thru the freaking roof. I kept thinking I should excersise but just couldn't do it. I'd get up early,
but I'd just sit there and NOT go.
So, I finally set a time and date, and told everyone!!! then, I felt I HAD to do it!!! And, honestly it was really hard to get up at 530am and jog/walk in the rain, wind or whatever the weather was that day.
but, after the first week,,,, five days maybe, I actually BOUNCED outta bed, READY to go.
and now, it feels like Im MORE energized or 'ready for my day' AFTER I go.

so, thats been MY experience. I know what your going thru is alot different. But, it DEFINITELY takes some self-discipline to GET UP and go.
But, WAYYYY worth it in the end.
I feel so much better, all the way around.

I think your doing a GREAT job, by the way in your battle!!!!
and you'll be back to yourself before ya know it.
hopefully sooner than later.....................

hope this helps at least a little :wink:

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello again derail,

I didn't really, really start exercising until I was a little over a year off of Suboxone. I just got tired of feeling tired and decided to buy a barbell and some weights. I started really light, my intention was to just build up strength in my frame and then go from there. I was doing high reps, low weights. The difference in energy levels and my mood changed overnight. It was astounding.

At our age, I think it's very, very important to start out light. I think I did curls for a month before I increased the weight. Next, I added push ups. I thought the curls had got me into pretty good shape, so I went for the gusto the first time I did push ups. I did 4 sets. That night, at about 1am, I woke up in screaming pain. My chest and arms were on FIRE. I almost went to the hospital it hurt so bad!!!! LOL!!!! Whatever you do, start out light. Each new muscle group you add to your routine, start it out light, or you will pay the price.

Once you get into exercising and you have a little conditioning under you belt, you'll be amazed how you feel. I exercise everyday now. 4 days of weights and 3 days of cardio and I love it. I rush home after work so I can do my workout!!

I take a pre-workout drink called C4, it's got some caffeine to give ya a boost, it has Arginine to dialate your blood vessels and it has Creatine to help you power through your work out. There are many pre-work out drinks.....Jacked, 1MR, etc. You can pick one that works well for you. Also, I take Protein drinks. They're supposed to help your muscle repair and recover.

Another benefit of exercise is that you'll naturally want to start eating better. You'll naturally want to start taking better care of yourself. If done correctly, exercise is a win all the way around.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Already overdid it.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:55 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I appreciate the info amber and Romeo. Freakin out a little bit. As I said in some other posts, I have tried starting to run up and down the soccer field a little bit. We had a practice on Friday and Tuesday and a game on Sunday. I have run all 3 days and I am paying the price for it. (As the old man says), I remember when I could run up and down the flight deck with 200 lbs. on my shoulder for 12 hours a day 6 months at a time. Never felt a thing. Today, I run a total of 30 minutes in a week and I can barely walk. Had a few of those telltale sharp pains in my hip and a little tweak in the sciatic nerve last night. Scared shitless cuz those are the pains that I had surgery for and they are what started me on the opiate train. I am going to slow it down again and I guess I could do some core stuff and more yoga for now. I actually slept about 5 hours for the first time in a while. After having 1-2 hours a night for a week, I was loopy by the time I laid down. The only reason I am scared is because I know how much of a pussy I am. I don't like to hurt!!! At least not the sharp pains, I can take the aches. The ones that are sharp like my hip, almost drop me.

On another note, that crazy sneezing has dissipated somewhat. I think I only sneezed about 10 times yesterday. Still feel like I have the worst cold, but this too shall pass, right!?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Man, take it slow. Trust me, I didn't and every new muscle group I would start working out, I'd end up pulling or straining a muscle and that shit HURTS!!!

If you were anything like me, during your opiate use, you didn't do any exercise. Your body is out of shape and it takes time and patience (I know, patience isn't usually an addicts strong suit) to get back into shape.