It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Working With What I Got
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am currently addicted to 60mg of Oxycontin and have been taking it for 6 months. I am completely humiliated that I have let this happen to me and I have no intention of entering a rehab or seeing a doctor for this. I am ready to quit and put this behind me so I had my friend send me some Suboxone. She could only spare three 8mg tablets. I need to know how to make these 3 tablets work the best for me because this will be all I have. She wants me to call her everyday so she can advise me on how to take them but I want some advise from everyone on how you would make these 3 tablets work for you if you were in my position.

Thanks you.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

RescueA wrote:
I am currently addicted to 60mg of Oxycontin and have been taking it for 6 months. I am completely humiliated that I have let this happen to me and I have no intention of entering a rehab or seeing a doctor for this. I am ready to quit and put this behind me so I had my friend send me some Suboxone. She could only spare three 8mg tablets. I need to know how to make these 3 tablets work the best for me because this will be all I have. She wants me to call her everyday so she can advise me on how to take them but I want some advise from everyone on how you would make these 3 tablets work for you if you were in my position.

Thanks you.

I know you don't want to hear this, but you really should see a doctor. What if something went wrong and you had to go to the hospital? There isn't anything magical about suboxone, and 3 tablets isn't going to 'cure you'. Even if it helps the withdrawal, what are you going to do afterwards? Chances are that you will relapse, and have to start all over again. Maybe you were buying the oxy on the street, which is $1/mg from what I've read. so you were paying $60 a day for oxy (maybe 30). I'd shop around and find the cheapest bupe doctor you could. Yeah, its expensive, but its the right thing to do. Like I said, 3 tablets probably won't put a dent in the problem.

If you really want to try it, try 2-4mg/day. But, you really should see a doctor because of what I explained. Sure, the initial appointment may be $300 but how much does oxy cost you? (It was painful for me, because hell I was paying $10 a month for my pain meds).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:52 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I probably should have given a little background as well. I kicked heroin over 10yrs ago...did a year of outpatient rehab and practiced recovery for almost 3yrs. I've been there, know what it's all about and decided it's not for me. I know how successful people can be going that route but I decided a long time ago that I have taken all I can from it although I appreciate the tools recovery has given me. I started taking painkillers because of a joint condition and happened to be offered oxycontin (off the streets) in the meantime which quickly grabbed me up. The desire to use it is gone...I am simply trying to avoid the withdrawls and that's why I have not stopped. If these 3 pills can get me through the first 4 days I am golden. If I feel myself slipping afterward I will look into the doctor. I guess my main concern is anonymity because you are right...I am paying just as much on the street as I would for the Suboxone. I am going to do everything I can to make these 3 pills work for me because I really have no money left...but will find it if I must.

About these doctors...how do I find one? Are they anonymous or do they report to insurance or the state? Can I just see one initially and get a script that day to take home? I guess I need to know more about my options but I also don't want to trade one dependence for another like it seems many people do with the Suboxone.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: 3 pils=nada lada help
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:56 pm 
I'm sorry you're in this dilema, but the right thing to do is see a doctor. Just got to the Suboxone website and click "doctor locator". From reading your post, I know you would rather not do this, but it really is the best thing to do if you're serious about getting clean. The 3 Suboxone pills you have right now will only postpone your withdrawl for a few days. This is just my opinion, I am not a doctor. Good luck with your recovery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:35 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

How long does Oxy withdrawal typically last? On what day does it start to lessen?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Like others have said, seeking out a doctor is your best bet. 3 pills will only get you by for a day, maybe 2. Sub doctors operate with complete discretion, and if you're worried about anonymity, let the doctor know. They don't have to use insurance, I'm sure there are additional ways of payment available.

My suggestion would be to find a few doctors nearest you, get their phone numbers and give them a call -- see what they're all about. Don't be afraid to ask the questions you've been asking here - receptionists and doctors are there exactly for that reason. They should be able to explain how it works, how much it will cost, how to dose you, whether or not you'll need insurance (I had no insurance when I first went - in fact, I still don't, I just pay a co-pay for every visit). Most likely, the doctor will evaluate you, ask you how much Oxy you've been taking, and figure out a dosing plan for you. He will probably give you a script for a few pills and have you come back so that he can dose you under his/her supervision (if they don't dispense there already). Then he'll most likely give you a prescription that will last a few weeks to a month so that you can dose yourself.

It really isn't as difficult as it may seem at first. I did it all by myself and I was 18 yrs old. Drove 45 min to the nearest doctor, told him everything and now I'm glad I did it - Sub saved my life.

Im not sure how long Oxy withdrawals last; could be a few weeks, could be up to a month. It depends on your tolerance, how often you were doing it, how much, etc. Your best bet is to seek out a Sub doctor, so that you won't have to do it all alone! Good luck.

Post subject: The length of Oxy w/d...
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:33 pm 
RescueA...For me, this is how my oxy withdrawal went everytime: Lets say I last used on a Sunday evening. Monday would be fine, maybe just some anxiety, would probably even get some sleep that night. Tuesday, would wake up with much more anxiety, chills starting to come on, stomach cramps, etc..by that evening all symptoms are magnified, and NO sleep. Starting Wednesday, its full-blown withdrawal. Pure hell up until Friday morning, then things start to get better. I could go on and on, but basically what im trying to say is that the 3rd and 4th days are typically the worst. I've also had it much worse, and a couple of times it wasnt so bad. Its just hard to tell. But again, seeing a doctor is really the best thing you could do. Don't even worry about privacy and confidentiality, just look forward to getting healthy and happy again. Take care and good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for your help. I have found some numbers and will be calling shortly. When I kicked Heroin the withdrawals started to fade the 4th day....when I tried to kick Oxy these past few times I felt just as bad the 4th and 5th day so I panicked. I didn't know how many more days I would have to deal with it. The last time I kicked it I used Xanax and it really helped me on day 4 and 5. Gonna try 2mg of Suboxone my second day and see how I do. I may have to just deal with some withdrawal and hopefully it will be lessened enough from the Suboxone that I can stand it. I kicked the shit once I know I can do it....just need that will-power.

Post subject: Rescue A
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:58 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Good Luck, RescueA. Let us know how you are doing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:39 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Dud in Detoxes in New York and New Jersey you only get suboxone for 3 days. They kick you out in 4. I think 4mg should be fine for a 60mg habit. Detox gives you 8mg then 4 and 4 and your done. Of course you'll go thru the not sleeping for about 3 weeks and the anxiety. If you can handle it and think you'll be fine do it. Everyones opinion about seeing a Doctor was golden.

Post subject: dosing
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:35 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey I just wanted to say good luck with the suboxone I too have a habit of 1-2 balloons a day and a friend gave me 5 suboxones. I didnt even know you were supposed to put them under your tongue so I was totally clueless and did the same thing you did by going to the internet. Personally I think it sucks to have to sit there with that shit in your mouth and it just seems like it isn't going to work because they tell you not to swallow it and all this. I tried snorting it cause it is so nasty and that seems to work for me. I know it is the "addictive behavior" that I am continuing but I have to make sure I have something cause I have shit to do during the day and can't afford to be dope sick. I really want to get clean and I think that the sub is the way to go rather than methadone cause when I would buy that I would just take it till I got the nods or at least "feel" them. Anyway good luck to you and I am in it with you. So for everyone else, am I getting it when it dissolves under my tongue and swallow the juices. I don't think I get it all that way? What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:12 am 
New Poster
New Poster

RescueA wrote:
How long does Oxy withdrawal typically last? On what day does it start to lessen?

3 to 5 days gradually returning to normal.. and the time it takes to be back to normal depends mostly on for how long were you taking the Oxy..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:43 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

60 mg a day you should be ok in a month and just hang in there after that. I was on 320 a day and felt bad for months relapsed after 8 months from being kind of depressed and unmotivated. turned out I was low on hormones so should have addressed that instead of relapsing. To answer your question after a couple weeks the wd should be mostly gone and you can function. Best of luck. Take the sub as the other recomends. I would start at 2mg first and increase by 2 if you have to then taper as fast as possible with what you have left. Thats only if you dont see a doc.

Post subject: How to take Suboxone
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

For those that asked about how to take it. I'm pretty sure the good doctor has written on just that subject. Check out his blog and you should have no problem finding it. I think you can also search "maximum absorption".
Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I definately feel for everyone trying to avoid withdrawals as I still have nightmares. I realize many are only trying to help I don't think it's a good idea however to try and presribe doses of any medication to anyone else unless your a Dr. Diversion is a big deal! Opiate addiction sucks ass, but there's no excuse for diverting meds if your supposed to be trying to better yourself. I'm sure some think they're helping others but I had to realize that my days of pretending to be a Dr. were over to have a chance at staying clean. If your still using please for your own sake, find a way to get help be it going to a Sub Dr. or checking into an inpatient program. All using has to offer is death, prison, or further insanity!

Post subject: daily withdrawals
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

GO TO THE DOCTOR!!!

not only could something terrible go wrong, but i found that coming out of the dead world to see a doctor and tell the truth and actually take some direction was therapeutic. getting put on a schedule and having a plan helped reinforce the idea in my head that i was going to get better and change.

and you said you are grateful for the tools recovery taught you? APPLY THEM! knowledge without application is useless! get yourself back to some meetings and go to a legit doctor for treatment, i say.

i'm all for the combo of 12 steps with suboxone. it's kept me clean for a year so far!

best of luck,
jp

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

RescueA wrote:

Thanks you.

Well, no one has answered you question, despite many replies.

I understand their concern, but only you can decide if going to a doctor is the right thing.

Here is what you should do if you stick with your current plan to do this on your own.

First, taper your oxy use down as much as possible.

then, when the taper is getting unbearable, wait until 24 hours after your last dose before you take suboxone.

This part is VERY important. If you still have oxy filling your mu receptors, you will be thrown into precipitated withdrawal, which is exponentially worse than the regular withdrawal you'll be experiencing. Trust me, it is MUCH better to wait TOO LONG than not long enough.

Anyway, cut your first pill into 4 quarters with a pill cutter, razor blade or pocket knife.

Take 2mg at first, and wait 2 hours. If you're feeling okay, leave it at that. If you still feel awful, take another 2mg, and repeat as necessary. You want to take the smallest effective dose that holds you over. With a modest 60mg oxy habit, I'd think that 2mg would be MORE than enough to hold you over. But as a worst case scenario, we'll assume you need 4mg, which I'm almost positive you won't need more than 4mg.

(I'm assuming you know to take the pill sublingually, but if not, just ask.)
However, and I know I may catch some flack for this, as it really is continuing your addictive behavior, but I find it's much more effective when you only have a small amount of suboxone: snorting the pills can make the Suboxone last longer. However, 8mg is a lot of powder, and I would only recommend this when you need less than 2mg of Sub.

NOTE: Don't take suboxone late at night, as this will make sleep as hard as it would be in withdrawal.

Okay, so assuming you took 4mg on day one (but hopefully you only need 2), you should take 2mg when you wake up on day 2 also.

On day 3, take one of those quarter-pills and cut that in half, and take 1mg. Another 1mg on day 4.

Day 5, take .5 mg. This can be damn-near impossible to measure out, so I find the best thing to do is crush a quarter of a pill. Then split it into 4 equal piles. If you snort it, you know what to do. If you want to take it sublingually, just dump that powder under your tongue and hold it there.

Day 6, do the same with .5mg.

Day 7, jump off and take nothing.

So ideally, that would be your last, and you should plan for a quick 7 day taper like what I just outlined. However, this leaves you 2 more pills. If each time you decrease your dosage you feel OVERLY uncomfortable (OVERLY being the key word, as you're of course going to be somewhat uncomfortable, that's to be expected), then simply add an extra day or two onto each dosing "plateau".

If you do fine and have extra pills at the end, but the final jump off is too difficult, you can try every-other-day dosing at .5mg, because of the long half-life of bupe. Then maybe even every third day if you need, before making the jump.

Good luck to you, whatever way you decide to do it. It won't be easy, as I'm sure you know, but it will be easier than going cold turkey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you bluemorning! That was the plan I had put in place for myself. I just took my first 2mg dose and honestly I am not feeling much better. I think it's been 20min now....and I only waited 19hrs from my last use. Currently I am breaking out in a sweat but my nausea has lessened. Can I wait a few hrs before I take another 2mg? Or will waiting that long effect it? I am going to try and get by feeling like I am but if I start to feel worse I may want to take some more. Obviously I have decided against the doctor and honestly if I can't even afford more oxy/vicodin I most certainly can't afford a $300 doctor who will just tell me what other experienced patients can. I thank you for all of your advice and I will keep coming back through out this week with more questions I am sure!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Okay it has now been 45min and I feel much better. I think 2mg is a good dose for me. I forgot to mention earlier that I am 100lbs also...not sure if that effects the dose or not. So my next dose should be when I wake up? If I take it when I wake and start feeling bad in the evening should I take more or just wait until the next day? I think I have decided against snorting only because my nose has had enough...but if you think it would be the most effective maybe I should?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

As you've noticed, Suboxone can take some time before you start feeling it... certainly much longer than the oxycodone that you're used to. I'm glad you're feeling better!

As far as the price, I most definately understand. I was doing just what you're doing, getting Suboxone from a friend with a Rx for months before I moved back home. Since then, I've been lucky enough to have my parents paying for my doctor, otherwise I'd be back in your shoes. But as it is, my parents are paying $100 per month (luckily my insurance covers the meds), just for the doctor to see me for 1-2 minutes and ask how many I'm taking per day, scribble some notes down and write my next month's script. He keeps me waiting for an hour or more sometimes, yet the longest I've ever spent seeing him was 5 minutes at "induction". (I told him about my history of taking Suboxone from friends, and that I was stabilized at a dose, so my "induction" was just like every other monthly appointment).

As far as your weight, that doesn't really effect anything. It probably played a roll in your initial level of tolerance to opiates, but the relevant information for suboxone isn't so much your weight as your previous tolerance... weight comes into play when you're working with a clean slate, which you clearly aren't.

As for snorting, that's your call. As long as you are getting good effect from using small pieces sublingually, I'd stay with that. No need to put your nose through more trauma. I just have a hard time personally with such small pieces of sub under my tongue.

And finally, about when to take your next dose, I personally need mine first thing in the morning or I can't get going in the day... the leg cramps especially make me worthless until I've got some bupe in me. But you may feel fine in the morning. If that's the case, then that means that 2mg is plenty for you, and I would wait until you're starting to feel bad again to take your next dose... and if you get more than 24 hours out of that first 2mg, then you should consider going down to 1mg right away tomorrow, and seeing if 1mg is enough to tide you over until Tuesday.

Good luck with everything, again, I'm glad you're feeling better.

I'll check this thread at least once a day in case you have any more questions. Feel free to PM me again if you have an urgent question, so I can get back to you as soon as possible.