It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: words of wisdom
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:48 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I´m in desperate need of words of wisdom from those with experience with being an addict or loving an addict. My bestfriend, who in the past 6 months has become more, is an addict. He has been in a 6 month rehab, and was recently kicked out for relapsing on vicodin with 3 weeks to go from graduation. Of course he lied about the amount of pills he took, and if he didn´t get caught he would have never of told anyone. Well since he´s been out I´ve had a feeling that he´s been using, but then i feel bad for assuming or whatever. This morning he went into the bathroom, and obviously i had that horrible feeling, and was sure that he was using. Finally getting it out of him, he told me that he has been using suboxone, to help him since he was on vicodin for 3 days. So he´s been using it for 2 weeks now. Both of my parents are addicts, but with meth, so I dont have a lot of experience with heroin, oxyc, ect. so when i talked to him about this of course im super critical and thinking he´s just going to start using all over again. he tries to convince me that it´s not using drugs, even though im pretty sure that he´s slamming it, and that it´s not a big deal and i´m freaking out for nothing.

i guess what i need is some good sound advice, everyone in my life of course is saying that i should leave him, and i never thought i would be in this position, i just don´t know what to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Dealing with addicts is definitely difficult and I am sorry you are going through a hard time right now. I certainly can't tell you if you should leave him or not however because I think that is something you will have to decide. Addicts are tricky and we aren't honest in active addiction. You may never know what he was actually doing in the bathroom. You have to keep in under your tongue for 10 minutes without talking so he may not have been slamming it. He may have just been hiding it. Either way, you have to consider how this relationship is impacting you and whether or not you want to be in it or if it is healthy for you. Relapse if part of addiction and recovery. But that doesn't mean you SHOULD stay or be part of it if it isn't healthy for you.

I wish I had something more helpful but this is a big decision and a big issue. I am glad you felt comfortable enough asking us and coming on here to try and find some answers for yourself and maybe him.

Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Taking suboxone correctly isn't using in the sense that it doesn't get you high. There's a normally inactive ingredient in it (naloxone/narcan) that becomes active if injected and it will send him immediately into precipitated withdrawals. So he may very well be just taking the suboxone. Read some of the blog and forum entries here and you can get an idea of what suboxone is all about. Ideally he will get it from a doctor and have a legitimate prescription for them.

Jackcrack gave you some sage advice about taking care of yourself.

Good luck.

Melissa

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:22 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I'm on my own journey into this dark place with a good friend. It's very hard to watch. He is occasionally dishonest, but usually comes clean. I think the most important thing I did was to repeatedly and honestly drill it into his head early on that 1) the choices were all his and I wouldn't ever tell him what to do, and 2) there was never any reason for him to lie to me since I was going to be his friend whether he was a junkie or not. As a result, he seems to trust me completely. He knows that I want him to quit. He's always known that, even when he himself didn't want to. However, I'm perfectly willing to sit in his presence and watch him shoot up without condemning him for it. I'm his only non-drug-related friend that will give him this latitude. Yeah - inwardly it kinda makes me uncomfortable. However, I'm convinced that the only way to truly help in a situation like this is to *be in the situation* - not take yourself out of it with pointless ultimatums. That way, when the addict decides it's time to quit, you can be there to help for real. You really do have to be ever vigilant about enabling, though.

Now - I am not a professional. I'm just reporting what I think has worked for me thus far.